Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising

I am really TRYING to get a exercising regiment down. What are you all doing? Any suggestions?

I may try some Water aerobics till my back is stronger. My back is the reason I decided to do this in the first place. Does anyone know at what point we can do some serious sit-ups? Lord knows I need to do about 1000 a night.;)

Hey, Birdee, if by any chance you are anywhere near Chicago, you're welcome to take my Nordic Track for free -- dust included at no additional charge.

I just bought a stationary bike. Today I went 1.33 miles in 6.10 min. I know that doesn't sound like a lot to most people, but with my disability that is pretty good for me. I started out going just 5 min. and way less than a mile. Slow but sure. My other exercise is that I chase 27 3 yr. olds for 4 hours a day. ;)

I also do some arm exercise sitting on my bed.

I will be the first one to tell you that I HATE exercise!!!! But, I joined a gym, try to go 3-4 times a week. I just started so right now I do 20 min on the treadmill. Hate every second of it, but try to tell myself that it will do me some good. Boy are gyms intimidating when you are fat and out of shape!!!! Anyone have any ideas of how to tone up at home?

I have a track close by my house that I walk around 2-3 times a week. I also have a leisure center with an indoor track that I can use for free. I like to go to the mall alot and just browse around in the different stores dreaming about the day I can fit in some cute clothes.

All of that is excellent exercise. How about taking the kids to the park, pushing them in the swing, see-sawing? Just the laughing and talking will do you a world of good! Weed your flowerbeds, spring cleaning, painting (in and out)....anything that gets you moving.

When I first started walking, I'd come home and literally fall asleep on the bed as soon as I got still. I didn't think I'd ever get past that fatigued feeling. But just do a little bit more each time and gradually build up your endurance. You're not in any race, just go at your own pace.

So basically what I am generally seeing is that not exercising (no intent is only 20% of the activity) does not mean not losing...because most of you are still loosing despite your lack of activity.

My concern is next week once i start working out again (only 30 minutes recumbent bike and 30 minutes treadmill) how i'm gonig to deal with the hunger again.

Somebody near the top of this thread mentioned sit-ups. I do about 50 each time I go to work out (2 or 3 times/wk), and they don't really bother me, though sometimes the area around my port gets a tiny bit sore afterwards, like I'm using muscles that I haven't used in a while! =) When I go to the gym I like to do the elliptical for 30 minutes and then do weight machines and stretches. I find that listening to good music really helps me. When I'm on the elliptical I tell myself, "ok, you only have 4 more songs' worth of exercise to go!" =)