Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

G'day from Australia

Tina,I didn't know that it was available on Medicare either - until my Dr. suggested it. I am, actually I mean I was,156kgs - I'm now 148. I was surprised how quickly the surgery came around because it's filled in with multiple meetings and appointments. Where are you having the surgery?

I have had absolutely no problems with it. Apart from obvious things related to the nature of the band eg: discomfort with some food and chucking it up - which is quick and easy.

As long as you are positive about it you'll love it.

I had the first fill last week and it obviously needs to be tighter - I go back in two months. Do you get the follow-up fills included or is that a separate thing?

Best wishes,

Rachel.

hi rachel, Brissy gal

im also from Perth, and am going for dr appointment on 13 april.....was nervous as anything just making the phone call.....hahahah.

Yes i also hear can get it on Medicare, with minimal cost outlay.......wondering wot the catch is spose i will find out in the next couple of weeks.

If it on medicare, is there a waiting time then?..... oh well least then could have ages to practice eating small mouthfuls slowly hahaahahahahaah

Cheers Dee

Okay, I reallyyyyyyyy want to go to Australia. Can we set up a bandster tour and we just travel all over that continent staying a night/or two at each bandsters house? Man, I want to GOOOOOOOO! I love to travel!

hi rachel, Brissy gal

im also from Perth, and am going for dr appointment on 13 april.....was nervous as anything just making the phone call.....hahahah.

Yes i also hear can get it on Medicare, with minimal cost outlay.......wondering wot the catch is spose i will find out in the next couple of weeks.

If it on medicare, is there a waiting time then?..... oh well least then could have ages to practice eating small mouthfuls slowly hahaahahahahaah

Cheers Dee

Hi Dee,

I have done heaps of research, but infact I only just had my initial appointment on Wednesday just gone and already I am booked for surgery Tuesday 19 April. The surgeon couldn't really tell me anything I didn't know from doing my research, although it was nice to be able to ask him how many complications he had encountered with lap band surgery in his career, and I was pleased to find out, none. He has not encountered erosion either with any of his patients and he has done over 1000/2000 bands. He has only had one person that had to be opened up fully during surgery, I think that person may have cheated during the pre op diet though...

I decided I didn't want to wait for the operation, so I didn't even try to get it through Medicare, I am with NIB and for the operation at $13,500, I only have to pay $4000, Medicare and NIB fix up the rest. That includes 4 dietician appts and monthly check ups forever as long as I need them. Check with Rachel, I think she has planned to go through Medicare she will know exactly what is involved, but I think you're up for at least 12-24mths wait, and you may have to meet more pre-requisites.

I went to the hospital yesterday for a pre surgery clinic, my god I was so excited, and now I am quite scared, never been to hospital before......

Good luck with your research, I hope I have helped!

Tina

Okay, I reallyyyyyyyy want to go to Australia. Can we set up a bandster tour and we just travel all over that continent staying a night/or two at each bandsters house? Man, I want to GOOOOOOOO! I love to travel!

I think that's a fab idea, you have no idea how much I'd love to visit the states, although perhaps when I'm thinner, and can wear a bikini... hehehe!

Tina,I didn't know that it was available on Medicare either - until my Dr. suggested it. I am, actually I mean I was,156kgs - I'm now 148. I was surprised how quickly the surgery came around because it's filled in with multiple meetings and appointments. Where are you having the surgery?

I have had absolutely no problems with it. Apart from obvious things related to the nature of the band eg: discomfort with some food and chucking it up - which is quick and easy.

As long as you are positive about it you'll love it.

I had the first fill last week and it obviously needs to be tighter - I go back in two months. Do you get the follow-up fills included or is that a separate thing?

Best wishes,

Rachel.

Hey Rachel, I'm having my surgery at Sunnybank Private Hospital, with Dr. Nicholson, quite scared actually, although he hasn't encountered any problems previously, so let's hope I'm not the first...

When were you banded? What were the procedures with regards to eating, did you have to stay on full liquids for 4 weeks? I am assuming the fills are a part of the cost outlayed, if not my surgeon bulk bills so Medicare should pick up the tab??

I think positivity is the key....

I'm in Melbourne. Medicare covers the full cost of my fills thankfully, they are about $160 upfront then I go in and claim the whole lot back. You'll find in Australia due to our warranty regulations that the extra $3000 - $4000 we all pay out of pocket (after the health fund/medicare part) is like a warranty payment, if you have to go in for another op due to a band problem (or need a replacement band) inside 10 years you shouldn't have any out of pocket costs for potential repairs (knock on wood we never need any repairs!).

I was banded Jan 19th, it was the best thing I ever did, down 18kg already (started out at 116.4kg). I couldn't manage to chew my food 30 times pre band even though I really tried, now I chew each bite about 40 times (stopped and counted one day) - it's crazy but you learn fast that you really have to super chew your food after a good fill to avoid discomfort.

Good luck with your surgery in 10 days!

Maybe we can have a US-Australia tour. We Yanks can show you Aussies a good time in the US (anyone based in LA or SF? that's where the incoming flights land) and then we'll go to Oz! I just have to warn you not to come to Chicago during our winter, unless you want to experience snow and bone-numbing cold. In my previous life I dated a Kiwi who couldn't handle Chicago even in late March... but I'm sure you gals are made of tougher stuff!

hi girls...thanks for your info brissy babe...

guess will find out how long from when i go to my appointment on wednesday coming...would have to wait on medicare time frame, couldnt afford to go privately to get it done, so will be the full bottle on the process by that time hits anyway hahaah

yep i been doing heaps of research, feel like it a biology assignment for school hahahahaah....i have a million questions scribbled down to ask the dr hahahaahah he aint gonna know wot hit him.

Rachel, can i talk with you more about the WA processes if you got any time....

hey a trip to USA...cool Zoe....you yanks wouldnt know wot hit ya if a bunch of Aussie gals hit your shores hahahahaahahaha hey Aussie girrrls, shame that most would be banded now so no chance of drinking anyone under the table hahaahahahahaah ooooh the good old days teee heeee..

you are all doing great, well done all......Dee

Slang allert! What the heck does "the full bottle" mean???

Ah yes, drinking someone under the table, man, those were the good old days! My DH tells me that I'll finally be a cheap date. Now, a couple of drinks is all he can handle. But then, he always was a cheap date! Cheap date indeed! I had a couple of white russians last weekend, but hardly tipsy.

Oh! and there is a chance that my program at university will be having an exchange program next year. We'd be going to AU for a semester!

Thanks Cammy for all the information, I haven't really had the opportunity to ask the questions about the cost of replacement/complications, nor about the cost of fills, but i'm sure the cost would be well worth it! It's great to meet other Aussies who have been banded or that are going through what I am going through, in fact one of my Mum's clients today gave my mum the number of her sister in law who was also banded in January, so I will call her tomorrow and have a chat with her, she only lives on the sunshine coast too. Congrats with the loss too, bet you feel so much better for it? I am into my second week of pre op diet, i'm a vegetarian too so it much it that much harder, am so damn hungry!

Deyanne, i think America wouldn't know what hit them if we rocked up eh? I've got enough personality for about 3 people. Although Zoe, that Bandsters exchange sounds wicked....

Vinesqueen, keep in touch when you come over to OZ, which city will you go to?

I believe it is Brisbane, but I might just be making up that part. I'm not exactly sure, because they are still working out the details.

Hi Brissie

I was banded by Dr Nicholson at Sunnybank in October 2003 and I've lost 35kgs.

There is a couple of support groups in Brisbane. There is a small one for Dr Nicholsons patients and another general Brisbane one. They both operate on Yahoo.

The Brisbane one is having lunch this Saturday the 16th April at the Newnham Hotel at 12.OO. You would be most welcome. I can't make this one unfortunately.

If you'd like more info you can email me at janeen@orrsome.com

I'm at Carindale.

Janeen