Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for medical advice/suggestions!

I have a burning/hot feeling in my mouth - sometimes tongue, sometimes palate, in back of throat. Feels like I ate about 30 tic tacs. Have had it for two weeks. Mostly constant, seems gone or less in morning, gets a little worse at night. Had several hours with no heat - was worse - now constant but lower level.

Was too tight (caused lots of drainage, throat clearing) - completely unfilled. One week prior to unfill the burning began. It is not heartburn but was treating as heartburn. 2 weeks on huge dosage of antacides and mostly liquids so maybe I have overdosed. Gave up maalox and back to Mexico for band removal.

endo and other tests showed band is fine and no one thinks it's heartburn (I never had it so thought it was).

Saw a diet doctor for three weeks and was getting b-12 shots - missed one week and stopped doctor and shots - could it be that?

Going to an ear, nose, throat guy who is also an allergist tomorrow and praying so hard he can figure this out.

It's scary and just bad enough to be totally negatively affecting my life.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should test, what kind of doctor(s) i should see?

Thanks to anyone with an idea or suggestion. This is making me crazy.

mary

I'm sure that your doc has taken a look in your mouth and ruled this out, but is it possible you have thrush? Have you taken any antibiotics lately? You can also get thrush when your immune system is low. If you don't know what thrush is, it is a yeast infection in your mouth. When I get it (from antibiotics) my tounge and the roof of my mouth burn. Also it can effect your throat and the inner parts of your cheeks and your gums. Diabetics also have a tendency to get it. It usually presents itself as a thick white-ish coating on your tongue. Like I said, I am sure you doc looked in your mouth, but its the only thing I can come up with.

Hey - thanks for that suggestion - I had read about thrush and did have that checked out. My tongue was black for the longest time due to the antacids - the doctors think (though not 100% convinced yet) that I am allergic to toothpaste. Now, I've used toothpast forever with no problem but i do switch around a lot.

I bought a small tube of something (most likely colgate or crest) that had these silver squares mixed in - don't remember if it was flavor bursts or tartar control - but that may have done it.

I'm to brush and gargle with baking soda/water and see what happens in 10 days. I'm on day three and it is much better - mostly intermittent now - so I'm hopeful.

This diagnosis was from an ENT doc who is also an allergist. I have an internest appt on the 27th just in case this is still going on. I kinda went backwards to different docs - probably should've started with the internest but I kept thinking reflux and band related.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Mary

I was going to ask if you had anything with cinnamon oil in it. I chewed a piece of Big Red last fall and it burned the inside of my mouth. It hurt for days!

My mom suddenly developed an allergy to toothpaste but hers presented in a different way. Her lips were really chapped and cracked and they were really cracked at the corners of her mouth and would bleed. I think it was crest that she was allergic to. There is a supposedly "all natural" brand called Tom's...I have seen it at Walmart and walgreens, I think that is what she uses now. Hopefully, this is the cause and it can be corrected!!