Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Perspectives

I was banded four months ago tomorrow. I've lost 46.5 pounds since then, with the encouragement and friendship of all of you here. With hope and faith in continued growth and accomplishment - Bandpal

I have lost 51 lbs!!!

I just bought a size 14 in pants, I am able to buy size large shirts instead of the XXL I was wearing. My knees dont hurt, I can bike again, I can run. I can breath better. I am a happier, Healthier Person. I for the fist time ever weigh less then my hubby. Sex is great.I feel pretty again, sure I still have more to lose BUT the progress I have made makes me so very happy...

Great job everyone, keep up the wonderful work.

I have lost 51 lbs!!!

I just bought a size 14 in pants, I am able to buy size large shirts instead of the XXL I was wearing. My knees dont hurt, I can bike again, I can run. I can breath better. I am a happier, Healthier Person. I for the fist time ever weigh less then my hubby. Sex is great.I feel pretty again, sure I still have more to lose BUT the progress I have made makes me so very happy...

Great job everyone, keep up the wonderful work.

Wow Shalee, impressive weight loss!:embaressed_smile:

I was banded four months ago tomorrow. I've lost 46.5 pounds since then, with the encouragement and friendship of all of you here. With hope and faith in continued growth and accomplishment - Bandpal

Doesn't it feel great and at the same time, hard to believe? My head is having a hard time keeping up with some of the accomplishments.

I keep checking the tag on clothes thinking it must be mis-labeled or something.

I am "almost" starting to feel normal. Sometimes I feel like an imposter though, like a fat person going around imitating a thin person. Keep thinking someone will come along and rip off my "thin" suit and expose me!

:embaressed_smile:

Congratulations on your amazing success!

Everyone's doing so great, congratulations!! :(:thumbup:

A year ago I didn't even know I would be considering banding. I was up 10 kilos (22 lbs) from the year before and getting depressed by the minute. Every time I saw my doctor it was the same story, always complaining that I need to get my weight off but nothing seems to be working. In about August 2007 she suggested banding and I laughed because I didn't think I would be a candidate. I told my family and one of my sisters said why not, that a friend's daughter did and had lost heaps of weight. I thought about it for awhile, looked at the surgeon's website, spoke to a few people, went to an info night and decided to go with it. I was banded within 3 months of thinking about it and I have no regrets. I haven't lost as much as I would have liked but I know I will get there. I'm down 14.5 kilos (32 lbs). I am looking and feeling better so I can't complain. I can't wait to get down another size ! :embaressed_smile::Banane42:

Damn right, you will get there, Sades. I laughed too when my therapist suggested banding, but the thought that kept coming back to me was that I wanted a level playing field. Every time I tried to lose weight I felt like I was playing against the other team plus all the fans at a 45 degree angle uphill. Something had to be wrong if it was that hard, if I was that hungry. Since I've been banded, I've never felt the physical hunger that was an every day, every minute plague for me beforehand. That makes it easier for me to confront and tame the mangy pack of bad habits which grew in the shadow of that hunger. The challenges I've had in these past few months have been fair and reasonable, and I've risen to most of them with the help and inspiration of the people I've met here. You are one of them.

By the way, I read this on another thread and just loved it. Pass it on: "I do not follow all the rules, all the time. But I follow all the rules some of the time, and try to do better every day."

I began this process just as most of you, one year ago I went to my first seminar on the band, and I realized if they can do this so can I. I made the appointment to meet with the surgeon and went to the classes that you have to attend first. I scheduled surgery Nov 9th.

I have also not looked back. I am thrilled with my nearly 70 pounds in 4 months and with no fill to boot! I have become healthier than I have been in my adult life. I can run up three flights of stairs.....and I can walk 5 miles and still have energy to go shopping. I can pick up my grandsons both of them at the same time.....one is 4 and one is 17 months. I have a lap again......I am nearly in a size 18 and will be saying goodbye to the 20's forever. I am actually feeling SEXY for the first time in over 5 years. I love this part. I have actually been asked what changed to give me so much confidence I guess I walk with it now. LOL I actually walked past a group of guys at the mall last weekend and they actually turned to look at me, that made this grandma smile believe you me.....LOL

I still have 80 pounds to go, but I know that I can do this, and I am happy to stay the course. I love how my body is reshaping itself.

I love the closeness that I have found with others who have made this journey with me, this group here is wonderful in supporting me in my goals and making me feel good about my accomplishments. I have never been good at compliments, they are getting easier to hear each and every day.

Congratulations to us all!!!

Kristin: You are our NO fill wonder girl! Amazes me completely. I've had eight!

I was always uncomfortable with compliments, too. I think we didn't feel attractive, so they were hard to accept. Tables have turned now. I, too can more easily accept " a you look great" comment now.

"I do not follow all the rules, all the time. But I follow all the rules some of the time, and try to do better every day."

I like it Bandpal... will definitely use it. Thanks for your support and I have to agree with the level playing field. For me it was that I was sick of losing 10-15 kilos and eventually putting it back on... this has been me all of my life so if the band will help me get more off and keep it off then it's done it's job.

Kristen, that's a great achievement, I can't wait to join you. :embaressed_smile:

I was banded on 11-08-07 and have lost 54 lbs. Within 30 days my type 2 diabetes was gone. Back and knee pain is so much better. Actually can go to gym and work out! Lost lots of fat but still have a saggy tummy so guess I will need a TT. Gravity has won out after 59 years. Best decision I ever made and love to share with Nov. Nymphs. Continued good luck to all.

Love, Kathy

A year ago, I had just seen one daughter married and was helping another plan her wedding. It's not so much that it bothered me that I had to buy size 18 dresses -- it's that I was still gaining even though I was trying my best not to. I was on my way to regaining the 70 pounds I had lost in 2003 and I didn't know how to stop it.

It wasn't until September that I found out that I could get banded even though I didn't have 100 pounds to lose. My main goal was not losing but not gaining it back once it was lost. And I knew it wasn't going to get any easier as I got older.

I've lost 33 pounds with about 25 to go and it's amazing how much better I feel. I, too, was having knee problems, having seen an orthopedic surgeon twice in the last six years. With all that I have facing me right now, I feel like I'm healthier and in a better position to handle the treatments.

You wouldn't believe how many people I told last year, "And if something should ever happen -- for example, if I should get cancer and need to be able to eat more -- the band can be deflated." Well, I had 1cc taken out yesterday -- no big deal. If I need more taken out, I can, and I can have it put back when I'm through with all of this. I wouldn't have considered any other kind of surgery, especially since I didn't have as much to lose, but it is one less thing on my mind.

I researched the weight loss surgery for two years before I did it. My father’s death in May 21, 2007 was my wake up call. At 35 years old, I was 308 lbs, I was taking a 100 mlg a combination blood pressure medication, I was taking prescribe pain killers for back pain, and knee pain. I couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath I was always tired. It’s been 4 months 13 days since I had my band surgery, I lost 58 lbs, I went from a size 28 to a 20. I am able to walk 6 mile at 4.2 in 1 hour. I am able to wear clothing I haven worn in 7 years. It hasn’t been easy by any means, I got my third fill today I hope this is it for me, maybe restriction at last.

You guys rock! Congratulations to all of you

I researched the weight loss surgery for two years before I did it. My father’s death in May 21, 2007 was my wake up call. At 35 years old, I was 308 lbs, I was taking a 100 mlg a combination blood pressure medication, I was taking prescribe pain killers for back pain, and knee pain. I couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath I was always tired. It’s been 4 months 13 days since I had my band surgery, I lost 58 lbs, I went from a size 28 to a 20. I am able to walk 6 mile at 4.2 in 1 hour. I am able to wear clothing I haven worn in 7 years. It hasn’t been easy by any means, I got my third fill today I hope this is it for me, maybe restriction at last.

You guys rock! Congratulations to all of you

You are an inspiration! Isn't it amazing what 4 months can bring in perspective. Keep up the great work.

Cindy