Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is weird!

I was banded on 8-20; and per my Dr. I am on all foods as long as I chew, chew, chew. I can't ever tell when I am "full". The only thing that happens is my left ear and my upper back hurt extremely baddddd....I know, it is weird....Any suggestions or does this happen to any one else....

hey kelly!!!!

looks like all of us august bandsters are going through the same things!!! thank goodness for this forum!!

i dont feel like i get 'full' now because i chew chew chew until the food is 'the right texture' (im sure you know what i mean) and when i eat my 1/2 cup portion- nothing...so i keep eating...i do become satisfied but not *full*. when i was first banded and still swollen i would definitaly get the full feeling. i cant wait to get filled.

i havent pb'd or vomited so i know im not overeating. i just have to quit eating before that happens. i guess i'm so afraid of pb'ing or vomiting i have been stopping early enough.

as far as the pain- no i havent experienced that...could the back pain be gas that hasnt dispersed? i have heard it can take 2-3 weeks.....i dont think the gas would make it to your ear though!!!

:rolleyes:

good luck

Kelly,

I have heard of weird pains in the head following surgery (I'm an RN). A doctor once explained to me that the pain IS related to gas. The gas can press on nerves in the spine or near the spine and can cause pain in other places (such as your ear)! Hopefully, once you get rid of all that gas, your ear pain will go away! :rolleyes:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Marsha

(waiting for insurance approval)

Thank you soooo much! The 10th with be 3 weeks and hopefully this doesn't stay with me. I feel "pressure" in my ear and throat area. My dr told me to go to my PCP; but the ONLY time I feel this is after I eat....Who knows...Thanks everyone!

Hey Kellymoos,

You have invented new symptoms--I've never heard of ear pain! But everything is possible, and presumably it's not serious and will pass. Wow--how long is it possible for gas to hang around? You'd think it would all be gone by now.

I'm starting on a full menu, too. Ain't it grand? :) My biggest problem is adjusting my bite sizes. Grrrr!!

I am having a horrible time learning not to down the whole cup of tea at once.....I went to see a Chiropractor yesterday to see if the back pain will go away; I go back today to see the X-rays and get "adjusted". He wanted to talk to my lap band doctor before he did anything else. He said it was possible that during the surgery and moving from bed to bed while I was under could have caused my back to get out of line. My poor husband has to pop my upper back everynight. As far as the ear pain; I have learned not to stuff myself and the pain never comes. :-))))

Guest robinb3371

Hi Kellymoos!! I was banded on August 17th. I read where you said your doctor told you after a week you could eat whatever you wanted!!!! My doctor (Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey, MX) told me liquids for two weeks then mushy foods until 4 weeks, then regular foods.

:cross-eye I did not stick to it because I was starving. I was starving right after the surgery. I did stay on liquids for the firs 5 days or so. That us hard. I am glad to hear about you not feeling full because I am not either. Today I have a small cheesburger. I know that is not good but I was having a big time craving. I am trying to stay on a low carb low fat diet. I also go to a chiroprator and this week was my first adustment since surgery. So what are you eating now? I am scheduled for my first fill Monday 9/15.

I am eating anything I want now. I am supposed to be getting a fill this week; but I have postponed it due to our vacation at the end of this month. Good Luck on your journey!

wow robinb3371

you was only on liquids for 5 days!!

i was on it for 4 weeks!! so you can guess how hungry i was!!

i did cheat sometimes, but i lost a lot of weight during that liquid phase so im glad i stuck to it, i tryed a bite of my daughters cheeseburger and PB it all back up again....that was a kick up the butt ..this band means buisness!!

I have to say that I think part of my obesity problem in general was that my "full" switch is broken.

I've noticed that it takes a good 10 minutes AFTER I've eaten to determine if I'm full. If I don't eat slowly and wait for it, I will certainly overstuff myself which leads to (for me) shoulder pain. I was told the pain I experience is from irritating my diaphram and that you get referred shoulder pain from this.

The only reassurance I can offer is that eventually you DO learn a "new" full and you end up learning how to not cause yourself pain getting there.

The bottom line is that it shouldn't affect whether or not you succeed with banding :).

I am for sure slowing down when I eat; It also takes me 10 or so minutes after I eat to feel full. I did not think I would still be so restricted after just getting the band and no fill. I can eat the hamburger patty off of a burger and I am satisfied. I have ate the bottom piece of the bun before; but that causes the ear pain; won't do that anymore. Another thing; I thought you were not supposed to be able to eat bread with the band; and I have read where people eat toast or a bagel...I can eat the bread but I think eventually it swells causing the ear pain; I did go to the Chiropractor and to get "adjusted" and my back feels alot better. Wednesday will be my 4 week anniv and I go to the Dr on Thursday for a weigh in; I have stayed away from the scale lately. Is a hamburger patty alot to eat for someone 4 weeks post op? Thanks everyone!