Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I GOT APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My surgery is scheduled for April 3rd and I am approved and everything!!!! I can't believe it's finally here! now tell me everything i need to know. lmao!

wtg:thumbup:

I am 21 months post op. The best advice I can tell you is this: First, make sure you follow your post op diet to a tee. It is very important for your body to heal the first 6 weeks. Second, you may or may not be hungry before your first fill. If you aren't hungry try and make sure at the very least you are getting all your liquids in. Try and get in 60 grams of Protein even if you have to drink 3 Protein Shakes a day. If you are starving try and keep your consumption down to 1 cup of food 3x a day without snacking. If you need to snack try and eat lean protein as it will keep you fullest the best. Third, when you start getting fills try and be very patient. It often takes several fills to reach optimal fill level. It took me over 6 months to get there so be patient. Originally when you start to get fills you may find that you are still able to consume 3/4-1 cup of food and up to 6 oz of protein. In time that will become more like 1/4-1/2 cup of food and up to 3-4 oz of protein. You weight loss will change it is could flexuate up when you move from liquids to mushies then solids. I did gain 7 lbs one time in between fills. This is quite normal. You can expect the weight loss to be 1-2 sometimes 3 lbs per week depending on your hunger and restriction. You need to be patient. If you are consuming too much, hungry and not losing it is time for a fill. I am 21 months out and truthfully just got good restriction 6 weeks ago. It does take time and patience. Being banded is great. I do PB a couple times a week but again it is really important to eat very small bites (the size of a pencil eraser) chew really well and slow down. Also, eating and drinking with meals is very important not to do. It moves the food through the band and gives you more calories. Try your best not to do that. Make sure you drink your Water and exercise too. The weight loss will be much faster if you exercise. That has been my downside. I would be at goal already if I exercisef more. Good luck to you. Its so worth it. Let me know if you have any questions. Julie

My advice is to get married to your computer and read as much as you can. When I found this web site my hubby though I was "online chatting" if you get my drift...hehehe! I am addicted to reading all I can here on this site. Its answered pretty much all my questions. I am getting banded on the 3rd as well so I wish you all the luck!

Congrats to p3 and bthin4me...I'm waiting for approval...sigh..

Julie, I cut and pasted all your words of wisdom...thanks...

I have been addicted to the computer lately too! My husband is like bothered that I am so busy reading and responding on line...However, this is a BIG DECISION and I need like minded support...he is gaining right now because I am loosing???

How have those of you handled the diet sabatogers in your world???

thanks everyone! I can't wait! I had my 3 hour nutrition class today and realized i start my liquid diet this thurs!!! AHHHH.. hehe, i am making my husband do it with me, he wants to lose weight too, and was planning to do the south beach detox for the first two weeks, but I convinced him just to follow mine!

i am so excited for surgery, but now it's finally just starting to hit me that it's really here! My nutritionist is awesome, and I am hoping that since I don't really get hunger pangs, that i can keep my eating to the suggested amounts. I am kind of convincing myself that I am having RNY, so that I don't introduce the sugars and carbs that got me here. I was origionally having RNY and switched to the band when tricare started covering it, so it's not a hard thing to fool myself with! haha.

thanks again and I will keep you all updated!!!

Good for you woohoo!

Doing the happy dance for ya!!

As to what do you do now? CHILL!!!

Take a deep breath now exhale.

You are just beginning a wondrous and insightful journey.

Your education of what is the banding experience and your commitment as well as the support you seek out and receive will lead to your success.

See my Sig.

Edited by mattintosh

P3photogal...I am so happy for you and glad your DD is going to detox with you...I'll suggest that to my hubby when the time comes???? Keep it up...and remember...we are here for you! :lol: