Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I flunked my Psych eval...Anyone else have this problem?

Ok now that I feel like a total nut case...I went in today for my Counseling, Psych eval and nutritional counseling today and both the counseling for surgery and nutritional went great...The therapist for the clinic referred me for more counseling because I'm bi-polar (stable and on meds) and because I told her I grazed. Well Duh..I didn't get fat eating 3 small meals a day! I've thought this surgery through and realize what a huge change it will make in my life and that I will have to break ingrained habits but I'm willing to do this.

I came home and got on the phone and after calling EVERY physciatrist in the book finally got an apointment. Problem is what if he signs off and the centers counselor still doesn't want to? I won't let this stop me but I'm only a month and a 1/2 away from finishing my 6 months and my quality of life is just terrible since I'm losing more mobility every day.

Any ideas?:smile2:

Do you see a psychiatrist who prescribes your meds? If you do, your surgeon (and insurance carrier) might accept a letter from him/her saying your OK to have the surgery. Call the surgeon's office and ask. You are NOT the first one to fail the exam and I'm sure they have a plan B.

I hope so, I haven't needed a physciatrist in years as I understand the reasons I started eating...but after the fact it was a habit, granted a bad one. I realized that the LB would be a tool to help me reduce the weight and that I would still have to work at it for a lifetime.

My GP has been very good about having routine check ups to make sure I'm stable etc and I am. Very frustrating to be told after a 30 minute talk and a 165 question test (which she didn't even look at the results) that because of my childhood trauma and my mental illness (even though I'm stable) that she doesn't think I'm prepaired for surgery.

I have depression and anxiety, I have been on meds since I was 12 but over the summer I finally started weening myself off, and I've been doing great without them. However, I'm still worried that my past psychological problems might come back to haunt me. I hope everything works out for you, let me know and good luck!!!

Ara, I was given a really hard time from my psych eval too. He said in the end that he passed me because my surgeon is new and has to have three patients to start with. There were no back-ups so he said he pretty much had to approve me. Here's what I think is so messed up with psych evals....Ok, first i know they serve their purpose and I understand that this is a life changing operation BUT i didn't think it was fair that he almost flunked me because I have been treated for depression in the past and still have some issues. My husband killed himself three weeks before I gave birth to our daughter. He had a problem with the bottle for years. Last time I checked, it was pretty normal to grieve the loss of your husband. Yes, it has been 5 years. I'm doing just fine, I've worked full time as a nurse and raised 3 kids by myself. I took cymbalta for awhile. I still think about my husband. some days I miss him, some days I just want to kick his a@#!!! But the fact remains that I have been heavy since the second grade. It had nothing to do with my husband. If I had not been one of the first three patients that my surgeon "needed" to become certified, the shrink would have failed me. That made me kinda mad, like I was being punished again for the choices of my husband. I'm not a depressed person any longer. If anything is bringing me down, it's my weight. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would have lied to the shrink. How sad is that?! I think most of us who have lived the majority of our lives overweight do suffer from a little depression every now and then. It's not like i hear voices comming from my jello.lol

Ara:

Just wanted to wish you luck in your Quest. I too, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1995, but more than any manias, I suffer from depression and anxiety. So, I take an anti-depressant (Zoloft) and I also take Klonopin.

Keep your appointment with the new psychiatrist and explain the circumstances. Make sure he or she knows your PCP has made sure you are stable and the psychologist-for surgery approval - feels you need more counceling. It might take two or three visits, but if your PCP writes you a letter stating you have been stable and the new Psychiatrist does also, I don't think a non MD Psychologist can refute their findings.

I don't know if that helps or not, but good luck.

Priscilla

These people are overpaid for nothing. I also flunked my psych evaluation for exactly the same reasons. My Psych doctor even tried to call him and change his mind saying there was no reason for him no allowing me to have the surgery. My family doctor of 16 years also tried to get him to change his mind.

Frankly I think these councilors took the job talking to us fat people cause they have a problem with fat people or they are to lazy to get a job that they have to really do something.

I just looked for a new surgeon, one that would take the Psych doctors evaluation. After one hour, these guys know more about you than doctors do after years? Some one needs to evaluate them

I suspect that if you hang in there and keep trying somebody along the line will see that you have the capacity to stick to it. That is probably what they are looking for. I do suggest you stick with the same psychiatrist because shopping around is not something they will want to see. Good luck and patience...

Ara,

I am bi-polar as well. The therapist I had to see (a PhD) passed me on the approval of a psyc. doc evaluating my meds.

My meds were in need of a change, so that was a good thing.

The thing about being bi-polar and having this done is that having any major life-altering event can set the bi-polar mood swings off. You need to be monitored before and after surgery. Some of the docs I talked to wouldn't touch someone with bi-polar disorder!

Another thing, I don't know about you, but I have to depend on a very close friend and my sister to tell me I'm in the beginning stages of mania. I know it logically, but I keep hoping it will go away because that means I need a med change (again) and I don't want to deal with that. I know my signals (vivid dreams, mind racing, not sleeping and my voice changes slightly) but I deny they are happening.

So, if you are like me, you could be manic and deny it too long until damage is done.

Hopefully you are not getting your diagnosis and meds from your GP, but are seeing a psyc doc to monitor you. I see mine about every 6 months, and if he has to change my meds, every month for 3 month to evaluate the dosage.

Take your bi-polar seriously. If the psyc doc gives the thumbs up, see if he will talk to your surgeon and get you approved. The psyc doc is also an MD, and their opinion on what's best for your health should weigh more heavily than a therapist.

Just my opinion and my experience! Take it with a grain of salt, or Zoloft. :angry_smile:

Take care,

Jena

i didn't think it was fair that he almost flunked me because I have been treated for depression in the past and still have some issues.

You should talk to your surgeon about this. My understanding is that depression is considered a co-morbidity. That means that being depressed -- in and of itself -- shouldn't prevent you from having the surgery. Your surgeon needs to send you to a therapist that understands that or he's going to be failing tons of patients.

Hello! I hope you don't get offended, I just wanted to say what comes to mind when I read your post.

There is a reason the evaluations are put into place.

I saw a perfect example not too long ago (a couple actually), where the person could not deal with being banded, not even 1 week post-op. I wonder how they passed evaluations if they are that unstable.

I don't know you at all, to know whether they diagnosed right or wrong. On the show Big Medicine, I hate their psych. I always disagree with her (but only based on what I see on the show) and think she does people a serious injustice. However, maybe there was something that they picked up on from you, that is a 'classic sign' that you're not ready for it. Again, this is speculation, just giving you another point of view on this. They are out for your best interest. Hell, they want the $$$ from the surgery, they won't deny you out of boredom.

So, stick with it, do whatever they think you need to do next (more counseling, or ???), and roll with the punches. You're not defeated!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Saw another doctor today and "the letter is in the mail"

Fairy thanks and no offense taken but I can promise that both my long time doctors wouldn't let me do anything that the didn't think I could handle.

Ara- are you on any extended release meds? Please make sure you review your meds with your docs b/c you may not be able to swallow some of your pills. The ones that arent extended release are probably crushable. Good luck to you!! *fingers crossed*

Situational depression is a co-morbidity, clinical depression is not.

Well having your alcoholic husband commit suicide right before you give birth sounds like situational depression to me. :thumbup:

I also find it bizzare that this therapist told her (essentially) that he would have failed her if her doctor didn't need the business. That doesn't sound right to me and it would be one more bad therapist experience to add to my list and make me distrust the entire profession.