Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Hide Lap Band From Work

I have told selected people at this point (close friends). I work with a ton of women and they can be cruel... I did tell my boss I was "in the process". What seems so funny is that some people tend to be jealous...like How can YOU get that?? Then they want to say how it is costing everyone at work because of the insurance etc... LIKE EXCUSE ME!!..I have comorbidities don't you know....

Anyway, what I am having a problem with is my family telling like EVERYONE!!! I had a big family function (weekend) and wasn't going to say anything yet. Especially because I am still waiting for approval...

Well, my Mom had told her sister...who told...etc... I was so mad!!! If any one should tell people...it should be me! It is my body and my life that I am changing! My husband is just as guilty with telling his family and friends...ENOUGH! So, that's my BLOG!

This is a tough issue. I am closer to my co-workers than most of my family, so I think that telling them isn't going to be a big deal. I know several women who are having 'work' (breast augmentation:ohmy:, tummy tuck:smile2:, etc.) done during Spring Break, so everyone is discussing everything pretty openly.

My biggest wrestle right now is whether or not to tell my students, or rather, how to tell them. I am a middle school choir director - my students question me every time my hairstyle changes and they could probably tell you the clothes that I wear most often - right now, it's a small list b/c nothing fits. My students know that I am an open book - they are allowed to ask me anything (we stay on appropriate topics, mind you). I have 5 girls in choir that are my same size (26-28) - 12-13 year olds! I want to be sure that I say things correctly, and still remain a good role model. Plus, I am never absent from work - in the last 130+ days of school, I have been gone 5 days, all school business. They will know something's happening. I am thinking about waiting till the day before the surgery, that's when I usually tell them (if I am going to be absent). Actually, my students will probably be my largest cheering section - kids are resilient that way!

Whatever happens - I am READY for a life change!!!!!

triser72...I understand what you are saying...I too am a teacher but plan tho have LB in summer. I would tell the kids but maybe after...only because they may stress and worry about you if they know ahead of time. It is a tough call because they will give you tons of support but I know even when I am out one day they worry.???? We do get tons of support from our students! Good Luck...also, for your larger girls you will be a role model :smile:

I told my co-workers I was having minor surgery and that was it. I told my supervisor I had to have surgery and needed x amount of time to be off.

Triser, I think if I were you I would focus on personal health issues leading you to being banded---so as not to make it appear to the equally large girls that it is a vanity issue. It is a fine line to walk, and while they will be your support, you will also be showing them a new way of doing things.

I had teachers I loved! Still do! I would have worried, but also would have, as you say noticed if something that big changed! No pun intended!!!

It gives me hope for our school systems when I see so many loving teachers on this site----I wish all of them were so caring about their students!!!!!

Good Luck to you both!

Kat

I struggle with how much to tell the people I work with. I don't particularly want to hide it from them, but I do want to be low key about. Very, very, low key. I don't want them asking me how much I've lost all the time and watching every bit of food I put into my mouth.

I told My Immediate supervisor We're also friends, and one other girl that I work with, She's actually been the one dodging all the questions for me.. about the protien shakes.. about why it takes me so long to eat lunch etc, so I'm actually glad I told her She and my supervisor have both been extremely supportive, I trust that they will keep things confidential.. but if they don't it won't be the end of the world I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it.

The best advice I can give though is to not tell anyone that you don't have to, once you tell someone you can't untell them.

Good Luck!

I don't want everyone knowing, either! I've told my family and my one really close friend. That is enough for me!

By the way, I am new today. I've been in the process of getting GBS but have recently changed to wanting the Band. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Oh, and how do you get your tickers on your posts?

I wasn't sure about telling anyone, but for me, I had had enough of secrecy revolving about my food and my weight. it was kind of liberating, even when some people gave me That Look for getting surgery.

I'm in the process of going through all my preop. testing and I'm trying to think of a way to hide the fact that I'm getting a Lap Band from my work. I work with all women and they can be very nosey. Plus this is something I want to keep between me and my family.

Has anyone felt the same way? How did you handle your coworkers? How did you explain a week off of work?

Thanks...

I, too, didn't want my employer or most co-workers to know what was going on with me. Those who I eat lunch with - I told - I told everyone else I was having gallbladder surgery - I just felt it was similar (scarring, etc.) and I didn't want to have to explain myself or justify my actions. I just didn't--and still don't. There may come a day when I fess up - but I don't see it in the future - only a handful of people know what is really going on with me - and THEY are constantly "how much have you lost"... the EXACT question I didn't want to answer all the time. I didn't want people "watching" me - you now - what I eat, how I look, etc. And people do - wether they realize it or not. They do- I want to be successful on my own terms and not have people commenting or discussing if I don't lose quickly, etc.

You could always use "female problems" as an excuse - it woulnd't be that big of a fib and normally when you say that - folks tend to leave you alone! ha!

I have a all male bosses. I just told them I needed time off because I was having "woman" issues and needed to have minor surgery. Men are so funny about that, they don't want details or any more information. I asked them to keep it confidential and they have. As far as my other team members, they just know I took some personal time off. Everyone in my office is always on some kind of a diet. So me drinking Protein Shakes was not a big deal. I told a few that I was under medical supervised diet. They have seen me diet hundreds of times so it's not new to them. I go back on Thursday of this week and just plan on keeping quiet, eating my mushy food at my desk or eating lunch before or after everyone else.

I have not ruled out telling people, just not yet. I want to be able to openly tell someone who may be a good candidate for the band and has watched my weight loss and is inspired some how. If I can help one person get their life back then it will be worth letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck, your heart will tell you what to do.

I have told my coworkers. I didn't initially but actually they are more supportive than my family. One sister I didn't tell at all (she is the "just stop eating" type). My other sister had RNY and has been helpful, but recently she said all I talk about is lapband, forgetting that she spent a great deal of time talking about her journey around the time of her surgery. But she is babysitting me for a day or so after surgery, and my neighbor, who is German--thin and very disciplined, surprised me by being supportive and is feeding my cats while I am in the hospital and at my sisters. I didn't tell her right away but am glad now that I did.

However I was at a cat show last weekend talking to two friends and remarked that one looked like she had lost weight. The other went on about how she should look that way. She lost 55 pounds with Weight Watchers, which is terrific, but I didn't think it was such a great time to mention WLS (people tend to think easy way out) so I didn't tell them. I kind of take it one person at a time in whether I tell them.

I have no intention of telling anyone at work. It is not their business. I would not use the gall bladder story because you might end up having it out later.

My opinion is tell them the truth, but not the whole truth. I have told only one close friend and my ex. Both clearly understand that they are not to share this information with anyone else.

As to the change in your eating habits, they can be explained rather easily with diet. All the decent diets tell you to eat slowly. I haven't been banded yet and am practicing that. I am eating way less and I take forever to eat. My suggestion, be creative, use what works for you. It is best to think ahead. I actually am getting a hernia repair at the same time. There are a few people that I have told that.

As far as the weight. I have gained and lost 100's of pounds. No one will question me loosing weight again........

I got my call tonight that my insurance said YES - and its a go to be banded on March 21st. I called my best friend from work to let her know and I know I will just tell everyone - I do have a big mouth....and big butt LOL quite a few people where I work have had the lap band and most people are really supportive - there are always a few poo-poos in every crowd. I am so excited! :drool:

weight.png

Your getting banded on my birthday! Cool beans!