Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please, need advice from other pcosers

My nightmare is coming true. I was banded on 01/25/2008, lost 10 lbs pre-op and 10 lbs week after surgery. I have not lost a pound since. Dr. said I was eating too calories, so I upped them and still nothing. I kow from reading your posts you can be succuessful with the band and PCOS. So for those out there with PCOS that have been successful, if you had to give me 3 tips for success, what would they be (low carb, weights vs cardio, take medication, do not take medication, how many calories a day). I know everyone's different, but advice would be much appreciated. I will do whatever it takes.

I can't advise you on this but just wanted to wish you good luck. We have several bandsters on there that can advise you, just be patient, someone will jump in and help you out. Good Luck!

My nightmare is coming true. I was banded on 01/25/2008, lost 10 lbs pre-op and 10 lbs week after surgery. I have not lost a pound since. Dr. said I was eating too calories, so I upped them and still nothing. I kow from reading your posts you can be succuessful with the band and PCOS. So for those out there with PCOS that have been successful, if you had to give me 3 tips for success, what would they be (low carb, weights vs cardio, take medication, do not take medication, how many calories a day). I know everyone's different, but advice would be much appreciated. I will do whatever it takes.

I wouldn't consider myself successful yet, but I am pleased with my weight loss so far. Have you had a fill yet? It's very common to stop losing weight once that swelling goes down, at least until you get a fill. Let's see.......3 tips would be.........

1. Try to keep it low carb. You don't have to do the Atkins Diet or anything, just eat lean Proteins first, then move to a non-starchy vegetable, then if there is room, eat a piece of fruit or something.

2. Definitely do cardio. I don't exercise like I should and have been pretty lucky so far, but I can tell you right now, my luck is starting to run out. Exercise is going to be key for me to continue losing. It would serve you well to get in the habit now.

3. If you do weights, only do them every other day. Your muscles need time to rest. My doctor said that was very important.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Even though this may be a slower process for us PCOS'ers, it is definitely possible, so don't give up. Good luck to you.

Oh, I take Actos Metformin and I am pretty sure has helped with my weight loss. Have you been taking any meds?

Oh, and one more thing, I try to keep my calories around 800, sometimes 1000.

Thank you so much for the help. I was eating 550-600 calories, then upped them to 1000-1200 per the doctor. I take avandamet, I got off Metformin after not being able to tolerate it. I think I may try to get back on it. I'm just going to keep controlling the things I can control and have faith it will happen. Again, thanks for the support.

Just an FYI for those of you who might be going through the same thing I am, I went to the doctor yesterday, weighed, and low and behold I've lost 5 lbs!!! I guess upping my calories did work. I suppose this journey is going to teach me a critical virtue: Patience!!!

Hi :) I'm not banded yet, but the most critical thing for me with my insulin resistance is the exercise. That is why I'm getting banded. The doctors tell you to exercise but being so heavy it's hard to get to the intensity where it helps. I find walking the dog briskly for 30 min a day has helped my numbers. Also, eating at regularly scheduled times to avoid a drop in your blood sugar will help too. Check with your doc to see what the right timing is for you.

i am supposed to get banded on the 5th of august and this is my biggest fear!!! what if i go through all of this for nothing?????

Banded08 - I have PCOS too and feel like my weight loss has been really slow, especially when I see some of the stats around here! One thing you mentioned was about not being able to tolerate Metformin; have you tried different types? I didn't handle the regular generic very well, then tried Glumetza which was much better. Now since I've been banded I've been on Riomet, which is the liquid form--it's been GREAT for me, and I can really notice a big difference in my PCOS symptoms, more so than with the other meds. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that! Our hormones can really throw a wrench in our best weight loss efforts; we can use all the help we can get!

i dont get it, so upping calories helps loosing weight???

i dont get it, so upping calories helps loosing weight???

It sure can. If you put your body into starvation, and 550-600 calories will definitely do that, you will stop losing weight. So increasing calories will help increase your metabolism. I was told that 800-1100 is the amount of calories we need to lose the fastest, I'm sure everyone is a little different.