Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 9 months p/o & still no restriction! Is this band not going to work for me??

Im also glad to hear that Im not the only one in this situation. I have asked this same question and basically the response I received was that I should be happy that I can eat anything and still lose weight. Thats not the point, and Im so glad to hear other people who understand. I went for another fill on 3/10 which now puts me up to 10.75. My Dr informed me that he wouldnt do another fill, because the band only holds 11, and he doesnt understand how if I claim not to have restriction, how did I lose the weight. At this point I think he believes that Im crazy and that Im trying to develop some type of eating disorder. He doesnt believe me when I tell him that I can eat anything and in large amounts if I wanted too. But from what I have read on the board, it can be overfilled, and if he wont do it I will just find another dr who will. Like everyone else I feel like Im losing my will power and I was expecting the band to step in once that happened. With that being said I still love my band and as long as it doesnt give up on me Im not giving up on it. Im going to continue to do what I should.

I tell myself all the time that I don't have good restriction (still believe it's true) but I do wonder how it's possible then, that I have lost the same amount of weight in three months, that last time I dieted, took me ten months. The band must be doing something.

I do thing our bands work to help us but sometimes it really is head hunger or more accurately what I call carb craving. If I let too many carbs sneak into my day ( even if I am within my usual calories) I start to think I'm hungry even if I just ate dinner.

So I go back to tracking my Protein level and sure enough when I start getting those cravings, it because I was getting too many carbs vs. Protein.< /p>

I am having this problem right now and tomorrow, I am doing a high protein all liquid day, to get rid of the cravings.

I know we really all do need the right level of restriction in our bands, but I think there are times when no matter how much we are restricted, we still have the head hunger and cravings. There is no other way to explain how we can eat but we still lose weight.

KBINAZ

Thank you for answering my lingo question...I think it is interesting to read all the posts because I am learning so much....

I have done high Protein dieting forever...in 2000 I lost abut 80 pounds. As soon as I stopped BAM there went on 110 lbs...so that is why I am hopeful with the band.

Could my approval date be any slower?????

IN the meantime, I have been following a low carb high Protein diet like I will the REST of MY LIFE!!! I know, when I have sugar carbs...there goes my cravings...yet If I have a whole grain type carb..I do better. There must be some wisdom in all that!

Keep on working at it all of you...

I think what you're describing is how I imagine the band is SUPPOSED to work and is definitely a reasonable amount of help to work with. I"m sorry to be blunt but yes you do have to change your eating habits, yes you do have to have self control and the band wont do either of those things for you. Nor will it make you exercise.

You do sound like you could use more restriction, its not wrong to go seeking that by any means - but I sit here with 3 ml in a 4ml band able to eat ANYTHING and yet I've reached goal weight. I find the slowing down that the band enforces is enough for me to feel satisfied on ONE slice of pizza, not three or four. I do get full quicker, I can defintiely not eat as much as I once could andfor you that will come with a bit more restriction. But it is not necessary and personaly I think its not even desirable to have your diet drastically reduced by way of not being able to eat a ton of things. By andlarge you'll find the things you cant eat are healthy foods with lots of substance - fruit for example - whilst the Cookies and chocolate slide right on through.

Calm down and relax, this is a tool that DOES work but you have to find your way and until you hit your groove, its easy to panic and think you cant do it, but you can!

kbinaz...Thanks for all the "wise" info!

Monica/violet...94 lbs. lost and 10 to go!! WOW! Congrats on your success. I'm SURE you will hang in and make it!!!

shortgal...I certainly agree with you on the "head hunger"..no doubt that's what got me to where I was! It's hard...everyday...and I'm sure it will always be. I thank the good Lord for any help I get! Go band go!!

amsderb...Hang in there...it'll happen for you and you'll already have all that "willpower" working for you! Much luck!

Jachut...Congratulations on reaching your goal...that's awesome!!! I want to be able to write that one day...I mean..I WILL...be able to right that one day!!! LOL I gotta retrain my brain!!!!!

Ladies--I just joined the forum a few days ago, and am so glad to read about everyone's journeys! I was banded on 12/4/07, and haven't lost ANY weight! When I went for my 3rd fill a couple of weeks ago, I had a long conversation with the doc, and he finally explained to me why it can sometimes take so long to get the fill right. Apparently, everyone's stomach wall is a different thickness. They had to stop my surgery to go get the smaller band for me because they did not know until they were inside that my wall was thinner, and I needed the smaller band. The small band only holds 4 cc's of saline. I am up to 3 cc's after that fill. The doc said normally he would only put a half cc in for the 3rd fill on a small band, but because I hadn't lost any weight, and was not experiencing any restriction, he put in a full cc. This has finally caused restriction, and my intake is slowing.

I still have the "head hunger" (love that term!) and undoubtedly will for some time. Everyone's stories inspired me to really go back to the basics of band eating--no liquids for an hour afterwards, really thinking about how my stomach feels. I am hopeful for the first time in 3 months that this tool will help me, even though it's taken a while to get into the groove.

Thanks to one and all!

Christie

Hey everyone!!! Thank you for sharing your fill stories...This is the stuff NO ONE BUT YOU has said ...at the dr.'s they act like you will feel so restricted from day 1....now I realize that I will have to keep up my willpower until I hit the sweat spot. I hope that my head will be "ahead" (ha ha...no pun intended) of me...

I don't even know about the band size thing...I mean...I think I am opting for the REALIZE brand...I wonder if that is a smart thing...from what I've read...there are advantages of both...anyone have a REALIZE band??? I need to make up my mind on which one....THANKS

After the first two or three days, I truly do not feel any restriction as I can still drink a 20 oz. bottle of crystal lite in just a few minutes, I can eat any bite any size, chew it and it goes right down. I was just beginning to think that OMG! I am going to have to diet with the band too! No matter what they tell you beforehand I guess I was still wishing for "magic!" The last straw came last night when I went out with my family to taco bell, intending to have just some refried Beans when I went and ordered the new cheesy beefy thingy and was able to eat half of it with absolutely no problem at all. This morning at my 1 week point weigh in I had only lost three pounds. I was at 8 pounds four days after surgery so I believe I actually gained 5 pounds from eating stupid.

As always, you are all there to help. I was reading the posts this morning and found inspiration and advice that put my head back in the game.

I go for my first appointment April 14th and hopefully will get my first fill. I had aready resolved last night that I am going back on the Protein Drink / Water for the next week (which I should have been on anyway) And I am going to do what I should instead of what I shouldn't.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Hey Mimi did you get an answer to your no restriction problem yet? I'm rooting for you!

Penny

Edited by Penelope

Penelope...hang in there...get your head in the game!!! You can do it and we are cheering you on!

Thanks Amsderb,

I was able to stick to my resolve yesterday and stay liquids only and continue to as of now. I took several hours yesterday and used a piece of poster board from Michaels to draw a huge weight loss graph that I hung on my bedroom wall. It covers the 113 pounds I want to lose and it goes for a full year. This will be an interesting graphic!

Thanks for your support and well wishes.

Penny

After the first two or three days, I truly do not feel any restriction as I can still drink a 20 oz. bottle of crystal lite in just a few minutes, I can eat any bite any size, chew it and it goes right down. I was just beginning to think that OMG! I am going to have to diet with the band too! No matter what they tell you beforehand I guess I was still wishing for "magic!" The last straw came last night when I went out with my family to taco bell, intending to have just some refried Beans when I went and ordered the new cheesy beefy thingy and was able to eat half of it with absolutely no problem at all. This morning at my 1 week point weigh in I had only lost three pounds. I was at 8 pounds four days after surgery so I believe I actually gained 5 pounds from eating stupid.

As always, you are all there to help. I was reading the posts this morning and found inspiration and advice that put my head back in the game.

I go for my first appointment April 14th and hopefully will get my first fill. I had aready resolved last night that I am going back on the Protein drink / Water for the next week (which I should have been on anyway) And I am going to do what I should instead of what I shouldn't.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Hey Mimi did you get an answer to your no restriction problem yet? I'm rooting for you!

Penny

Thanks for the support!! We all need it everywhere/anywhere we can get it! No, I don't have an answer yet, but I did call the docs office and they up'd my appointment date a month. I was so glad and am anxious to talk to the Dr. about all my concerns. I'll certainly let you know when I go! Thanks to all who support and care. I'm rooting for you and all our "bandster" brothers/sisters. Penny, I know it's hard.....Lord, I know it's hard (ha), but I know we can do it!! Hang in there and lets get back on track! Good luck and God bless!

Kabinz

I'm so glad to see that you finally got the restriction you need. How many fills did it take you. I've already had 2 and am very frustrated now. I'm gaining back the weight i LOST on my liquids and am very upset. Do you eat out at all or just at home? Than

weight.png

Edited by Bandana

Hey everyone,

Well, I had my Dr's appointment yesterday and we talked over all my concerns. He withdrew the saline from my band to check for leaks and said "yeah, it's all here..7cc's..I said, "No, I had 8cc's" He said, "no 7". Then he put it back in with another cc...total now 8cc's.

Now here's what I was told to date:

1st fill....3cc's

2nd fill....1cc

3rd fill....1cc

4th fill....2cc's

5th fill....1cc

total 8cc's right?

Yesterday's apt. "unfill...7cc's"..added 1cc more...now 8cc's

I wrote down each and every fill level...I asked nurse, doc, and saw syringe amount. So....the conclusion is yours to determine; either I'm crazy (which is not a farfetched notion..I am "mental-pausal" you know, but I will say that I have payed VERY close attention as I am a little more than extremely interested in this investment...BUT....I never swear to being right about anything anymore) OR...I was not told the truth about the amount...OR..it leaked....OR...what? I don't know. I'm not going to argue with anyone. I don't want my doc to be angry with me, or have hard feelings, so the important thing is-I know my band is in place and I have 8cc's and today I can tell that I did indeed have a fill. I'm not sure of my restriction yet as I am still on liquids today. I'm hopeful and I'm determined to "work" with this and praying that this one will give me what I've been needing. The really bad part about my visit, was that I had gained 8 pounds back. (I know....that was horrible and I feel horrible about it...I failed myself and my band). My will/won't power (I'm sorry Jack..I failed you too) was gone...nada...zip...but--I'm shocked into reality now and I'm back into the "grove". I will not quit--I can't quit. I can only hope that my journey, my successes, and my mistakes will help someone else, as all your comments and inspiration have helped me. Thanks again.

I just read in a book on lap banding that there is often a 'loss' of Fluid, especially after the first fill, because of air in the tubing. Some of the fill can go back out into the tubing because the tube works both ways- fluid can go in and out. If they didn't unfill you at your second fill to see how much was in there, you might have been working on a wrong assumption (amount wise)for fills 3-5 or whatever. All that matters is that now you know you have 8ccs, because you saw it! And I promise, that 8 pounds you gained is HISTORY!!!

Was very happy to see this topic today. Am sitting here at the computer, thinking I'm hungry. I too can eat whatever I want. Sometimes i do get "hung". But not very often and only when I let myself get too hungry and end up eating too fast. Am longing for the day when I can't eat bread like so many others have said on this forum. I have lost 57 lbs since surgery on 9/25/07. Most of that was in the first few months. I have 7cc in a 14 cc band. Will get a little more added when i go back to Dr. on 21st. Just holding on until then because I am sooo busy right now. Don't want to take the time to go. Best of luck with everyone on this site and hate that ya'll are struggling with the same thing as me, but am happy to know that I am not alone in this struggle. Keep up the support of each other. I will be checking back with this thread.

to KMMFMOMOF4--I am read your latest post and I have to tell you as of Yesterday I am at 12 cc's in a 14cc band. I am frustrated and just so tired of the whole deal. My doc and his whole staff are trying very hard to be cheerleaders and as I have told them...I am really trying to believe it will come and (in his words) "The band does work we just have to get the right fill". I had no restriction.... I don't know if it worked this time because I am on liquids for 3 days (again). So what happens when you reach capacity? Any one know?????