Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast Side Effects

Hi all

I tried looking this up on the net a few weeks ago and couldn't find much. Apart from them saying it can cause hair loss and Constipation. Definately not something a girl wants to hear.

Anywho, I suppose the 2 main things I've had at the moment is:

1. Foul taste in my mouth. I suppose you'd call it a metallic taste. Have to swill heaps of Water and the occassional sugar free mint. Not as bad second week though as first.

2. When I need to go to the toilet I have to get to one fairly quickly. No constipation problem for me :unsure:

So, anyone got anything else to add to the list of undesirables.

BTW, Still got all my hair - pity it didn't make my face hair fall out (damn PCOS :tea:)

Im with you on both those, I feel like it leaves a coating in my mouth. Please dont let my hair fall out I have suffered several humiliations relating to pcos also and I couldnt take having a receding hair line too.

Hi all

I tried looking this up on the net a few weeks ago and couldn't find much. Apart from them saying it can cause hair loss and Constipation. Definately not something a girl wants to hear.

Anywho, I suppose the 2 main things I've had at the moment is:

1. Foul taste in my mouth. I suppose you'd call it a metallic taste. Have to swill heaps of Water and the occassional sugar free mint. Not as bad second week though as first.

2. When I need to go to the toilet I have to get to one fairly quickly. No constipation problem for me :angry:

So, anyone got anything else to add to the list of undesirables.

BTW, Still got all my hair - pity it didn't make my face hair fall out (damn PCOS :thumbup:)

The bad breath is due to Ketosis - this is the stage you are suppose to reach so consider a sign of success. Your body is now starting to use up the stored body fat around your liver - which is exactly what your Dr wants. there isn't a lot you can do except use breath freshner and carry some tic tacs with you.

If you are worried about your hair, try taking some additional Vitamin supplement, this should help - remember you are on a very very low calorie diet and while Opti is suppose to have all your Vitamins in it, I felt much better when I used a supplement as well.

With the toilet issue - not sure what to suggest, but make sure you are drinking plenty of Water because you can't afford to dehydrate on such a low calorie intake. Keeping hydrated is also good for your skin and keeps it pliable - this will hopeful help to prevent any sagging skin as the weight drops off you in the future.

Danna

yes ditto D.

the bad breath was awful - but the weightloss is wonderful and well worth all the bad effects.

I found the peeing like a 9 month pregnant woman a dam nuisance.

It is not 4ever - think of all the weight your dropping and most importantly drink lots of Water....and have patience.

regards

M

My hair continued to fall out for about 8 months after banding, which was when I lost the majority of my weight. I have really thick hair though so it didn't bother me much. The annoying thing was when it grew back and I had all the little different lengthed hairs sticking out all over the place on my hair line and in my part. Looked ridiculous!

Oh good so the poo breath my son commented on last night is necessary and normal. Great:tt2::thumbup::angry:

Oh now I'm sad that no-one has commented on MY poo breath :) Maybe the Optifast isn't working that well for me? I've been on it for 4 days and aside from a handful of lollies every now and then (whoops!) I've been totally faithful to Opti and I've only lost 900g!

I have, however had the same "No. 2" problem (pun intended) as you soriminah! No probs with Constipation here!

I have been rigid with the Optifast, I even put the apple back this morning when I read that fruit is for the maintenance phase of opti. I have done well (lost 5.3 kg) but oh boy is it hard. I really dont know how people could use this diet as their only source of weight loss, I would have run for the kfc store days ago if I knew there was no end in sight.

Oh now I'm sad that no-one has commented on MY poo breath :) Maybe the Optifast isn't working that well for me? I've been on it for 4 days and aside from a handful of lollies every now and then (whoops!) I've been totally faithful to Opti and I've only lost 900g!

I have, however had the same "No. 2" problem (pun intended) as you soriminah! No probs with Constipation here!

Well, if you've consumed sugar, it's possible you haven't gone into Ketosis. It's very easy to break it.

Have told to the boy to get rid of the lollies. That should do the trick!

Optifast is very high Protein and very low carbs/sugar, so, if you really have to cheat, you can't take another day of Opti, at least cheat with something similar, like a piece of grilled fish or some sort of lean meat - do not go near the lollies, chocolates or carbs or you will break the Ketosis and be right back at the start. The weight won't really start to go until you have been in ketosis for about 24 hours or more.

Danna

I realized something this past week, here it is... before I feel hungry I eat, now I feel hungry I ignore it for a while THEN, not hungry anymore bloody amazing!!!

I can so relate to the excessive facial hair (& everywhere else!!) because of PCOS. I have a theory though. When weight drops down and approaches normal, the hormonal levels normalise and I believe this would also mean less Hair growth, as the excessive hair is caused by the extra male hormone floating around - which goes away when weight normalises.

OK, so did my 'theory' make sense? lol

Ok so the bad breath I can deal with even a few extra trips to the toilet for whatever reason but a period after 14 years yikes what the hell is going on. I have pcos and also had an implant for the past 9 years and depo before that so I have not had a period. The last couple of days I had a dull tummy ache that I thought was wind but it seems it was period pain. This is a side effect I can live without.

Optifast didn't cause your period, the weight loss did. Losing weight allows the hormones to go back into balance. If you're a woman and of child bearing age, then its natural to have a period.