Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long should a fill last

I was banded Sept 28, 07. I have 10cc band with 3cc now. I have had 3 fills, going for my 4th next week. It seems like my fills last about a month then it is gone. Is this normal?:confused2:

I have the same question. However, I have only had one fill on 2/15/08. I am still feeling a little restriction and wonder if I should wait till it is totally gone, or if I should go for another one shortly.

My Dr. will only do three fills, says that is all anyone needs after that it is just the Dr. making money, the first fill to get restriction, the second becaus ethe belly fat goes first and the band will get lose and the last one.So it just depends on your Dr.

Elketta, that might possibly be true but I think it is too much of a generalization, since we are all so different. My husband has a 10 cc band and he got 4 cc for his first fill. He has now had three fills, for a total of 7 cc. He will probably need another fill in a month or two, if not right now.

The number of fills would depend on how much fat you had around your stomach, and how much fat you lose around your stomach as time goes on. I was banded the same day as my husband, and have 1.9 in a 4 cc band, and I am much tighter than he is. We were both banded 10/10/07.

I was banded in Sept. of 07 Also. I have had three fills and will see the doctor next week about another fill. The last time I went to have a fill I asked the doctor to pull out what was in there so we would know how much. I had 3 cc's and he gave me another 2.3 cc. I asked him how long it should last as well. He said that it should last a lot longer this time. he said that a lot of times it is because you are loosing fact around the band and that is you need a fill. My wife also was banded and has a little less than I have in my band. I hope that this helps you out.

Chris

Snowbird,

I had my surgery by Dr. Martinez (Dr. Ortiz) on 12/17/07. Are you going back there for your fills? I had my first fill done in Las Vegas and think I will probably keep going there since it is so close to my home in St. George, UT.

I think a lot of it has to do with the band you have in place. It seems that many that have the 10cc band go in for regular fills. But others like myself who only have a 4cc band don't go in nearly as often.

I've had 3 fills and an unfill 3 weeks after the 3rd because I was too tight. My doctor said to expect to lose 4lbs a month on each fill. When the weight loss stops or I gain weight, and I discover that I can eat more and feel hungry more often, it's time for a fill. He also said that it's common (for his patients) to book another fill after 20lbs worth of weight loss per fill. The band loosens as you lose weight around where it's been placed.

Your doctor will have his/her own policy and I think it's best you follow that one as advice can vary so much between physicians.

First you must get the right amount of fill to get to the first level of restriction ( band fitting your current stomach). I don;t get fills with flouro, so it was anybody's guess (since they can;t see in there) when my band was getting to the right fill to fit me. so it can take several fills to get there depending on how much they put in at each fill.

When you reach that right first level, you'll loose more weight ( and stomach fat) and the band will loosen and you'll need a little more fill. And so on, depending on how much you have to lose.

Manufacturers make recomendations but Dr's treat the patients and make adjustments to the recomendations based on their clinical experiences with patients. Example: the manufacture might receommend 3 cc's at first fill, but Dr. does that and has several patients get too tight, so the Dr. might adjust all patients down to 2 cc's, rather than risk a few patients being too tight.

Just like a baby book might tell a new mom to do something, but the mom's experience tells her that doesn't work for HER baby, so she does something else and that works for her baby. We are not machines, we are human and what works for one person, doesn't always for for someone else.

I have a 10 cc band and received 3 cc's during my first fill on 2/15/08. I still have some restriction, but am not losing the weight as fast as I want to. I just wonder how much 1cc more will help me.

When I look at what people are saying they eat in a day, I think I am eating too much, because I eat around 1 cup of food at every meal. Sometimes it's enough and sometimes I want more. But I am still losing weight slowly. I don't know what to do!!!!

I have a 10 cc band and received 3 cc's during my first fill on 2/15/08. I still have some restriction, but am not losing the weight as fast as I want to. I just wonder how much 1cc more will help me.

When I look at what people are saying they eat in a day, I think I am eating too much, because I eat around 1 cup of food at every meal. Sometimes it's enough and sometimes I want more. But I am still losing weight slowly. I don't know what to do!!!!

this is why the period between surgery and good restriction is called bandsters hell and not bandster heaven.

We all want to lose fast, but what does "not fast" mean to you? One to two pounds is normal with some possible slow spots and some quicker losing spots in between.

But this is a good time to practice Portion Control, not drinking after meals, chewing small bites well, to get ready for when you do get restriction.

In the meantime, are you counting your daily calories and tracking your Protein? Follow a simple weight watchers points program until you get better restriction and stay away from carbs.

I am following the rules about not drinking 30 minutes before and 1 hour after meals, and I am also chewing chewing chewing!! Even eating with a baby spoon!!!

My Dr. told me I needed 125 grams of protein....How in the heck do I get that when I can't even eat that much food? ????

I am following the rules about not drinking 30 minutes before and 1 hour after meals, and I am also chewing chewing chewing!! Even eating with a baby spoon!!!

My Dr. told me I needed 125 grams of Protein....How in the heck do I get that when I can't even eat that much food?????

125? :cursing: Perhaps you should call back and check that figure. I've never heard of anyone being told they need that much. For me it's between 60 and 80.

I think you have to look at your weight loss realistically and objectively. I would love to be dropping 5lbs a week. That's just not realistic. And if someone else told me that's what they averaged, I'd be horrified. I get down on myself when I only lose 1lb in a week. That's an insane attitude and I know it.

TV shows like Biggest Loser used to be an inspiration for me because I could see and feel the pain of the contestants on the show. I watched it the other night for the first time in a very long time and couldn't believe the reaction of the people who only lost 6lbs. I understand it's a competition and that there's prize money on the line. But to be so disappointed in that kind of loss is sending out the wrong message, imho.

I've lost over 60lbs in 7 months. And when you look at the entire picture, that's phenomenal and I have every reason to be proud. And I am. But there are SO many days when the journey there has been hard and I've gone backwards instead of forwards.

Today is a hard day for me. I didn't want to go to the gym for my usual morning routine. I dragged myself there and the entire time I was exercising I complained. Then I came home and all I want to do is find comfort in food. There are Girl Scout Cookies in the cupboard. They know my name and are calling to me. :thumbup: I won that battle and opted for a cup of chicken Soup instead. I'm typically more restricted in the morning, and got halfway through the Soup and it all came up again.

So now I'm waging another battle with my head. Telling myself I should or could have had the Cookies because they're one of my slider foods and they would have slipped straight through my band no problems at all. :thumbup:

One of the ladies suggested I find another outlet and perhaps offer some words of wisdom to some of the newer members here to help them out. I don't know if sharing my hardships is going to help anyone but myself and I apologise if you feel I've made this more about me than about you. What I'm trying to get across is that even those of us who have been going down this road for a little while still stumble and fall and wonder why the heck we're putting ourselves through all of this when being fat is so much easier to accomplish. :thumbup:

Hang in there. Call your doctor and discuss your concerns with them and ask for their advice. They may tell you you're in need of a fill, they may give you other options to try first. If it's hard to get an appointment for a fill, book one for next week or as soon as they can get you in. You should be able to cancel up to 24 or 48 hours without any penalty, and it will give you a little more time to decide if it's what you need right now. Remember, there can be a difference between what you need and what you want.

My Dr. told me I needed 125 grams of Protein....How in the heck do I get that when I can't even eat that much food?????

wow, that's a lot of Protein. Usually the more you weigh the more protein you need, but that's a lot. I was recommended to have 60 to 80 as well.

I use the Isopure CLEAR if I dont have enough protein in meals. One bottle is 40 gms and only 160 calories. Some days all i need is to add 1/2 bottle to get enough protein. Depends on the day and what my meals are.

I have never worried about drinking before my meal only after. And since I can't drink one hour after eating, I sometimes have to drink before eating to stay hydrated and get my liquids in.