Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowling a week after surgery??

I am schedualed to have the lap band on Tueday March 11th. I was wondering if I would be able to bowl a week later??

Also wondering what kind of restrictions people have for the 1st week after surgery.

Thanks

I seriously doubt you will be bowling a week after surgery. I was able to go back to work after 6 days and was fine, but I was not doing any heavy lifting or stretching due to the port being sutured to the abdominal muscle wall. I was still having little twinges of pain if I moved or stretched in a certain way up until about 6 weeks out. I would guess that throwing a bowling ball would have caused me pain until about 4 weeks. But I am only speculating on how I was feeling post surgery. Everyone is different.

Hope this helps.

Ari

Even though you're having a lap procedure, it's still abdominal surgery. Most surgeons recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 6 weeks post-op. I would check with your surgeon but bowling one week post-op seems unrrealistic.

I wasn't allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds for three weeks after surgery, and nothing over 10 for an additional two weeks. (My husband laughed at this... He wanted to know how I was going to get my purse to work.....smart ass......)

Amen, don't bowl- don't do it! I went shopping two weeks post op and lifted a couple of bags into the trunk of my car. It hurt so bad for several days! I was banded 2/11 and am still not lifting heavy things, I can feel it if it's too heavy, it's slow to 100%.

I wasn't supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for 2 months after surgery and if I forgot and lifted something I really felt it for a few days. The very sorest thing after the surgery is the port site. It stays sore for quite a while and lifting or straining really can aggravate it.

Aubrie: Your husband has a good sense of humor... that was funny... you have to admit that!

I think you should call a subsitute to bowl for you.

I had a sub bowl for me for 3 weeks and by then I was fine, even though the sub was better than me! :drool:

I stumped the doc by asking pre-surgery how long would it be before I could bowl. :cursing: He said he never had that one before.

I am told nothing heavier than 15 pounds to lift the first 3-4 weeks, hey my bowling ball is light weight, only 10#, Guess I'll ask my surgeon on 3/6 went i go for my pre op appt. It is getting to the end of my bowling season ans I really hate to miss too many weeks. It is too much fun for a night out with the girls..

I am being banded on the 19th of march and was told that I could not bowl for at least 4 weeks after surgery. I am a member of Team USA and I will not be able to bowl at training camp.(our trainging is at the olympic training center in colorado springs april 1-6) Pretty bummed about that but I will still be able to take part in the rest of the festivities. I will be able to bowl USBC Queens and Nationals just in the knick of time. Bowling is pretty brutal on your body no matter what weight your ball is. Take it easy.. I'm sure this all depends on how fast of a healer you are also. GOOD LUCK!

I'm SO glad someone asked this. I'm taking a bowling class right now( my kinesiology credit in college). I am not yet banded, but may be by the end of the semester if all goes well. We meet once a week and I'm pretty sure I would be safe w/ missing two weeks, and hopefully my prof would understand.

Ditto to what everyone else said!! DO NOT BOWL--DO NOT EVEN ENTERTAIN THE IDEA OF BOWLING!

Even when your stitches on the outside look like they're healing, there's still a ton of healing going on INSIDE! I was told I couldn't lift more than 10# for four weeks (went back to Curves then) and waited for seven weeks to go back to the YMCA and even then I was very very SORE after working out.

Please do us a favor and get a sub so we don't have to worry about you...:shades_smile:

Well meet with the Doc yesterday and asked him about bowling a week later. He told me depends on how I feel,he does not put any restrictions on. Basically he said if it hurt to do something dont do it, and if it doesn't then go ahead and do it. So I guess will wait and see how I feel at the time.

Thanks for all your replys been very helpful.

Be careful, you have stitches healing a week later, if you are throwing a heavy ball in odd contortions, you could very easily rip out the port.

Hello, I am very new to this site. I am considering banding and would like to know if anyone here have hypothyriodism and have had the banding? If so how are you doing witj it? :thumbup: