Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Good morning all! I'm being banded on April 16 in Denver CO. I'm a self-pay. I'll be heading from St. Louis to Denver on April 15 and will be spending the afternoon driving around (my flight gets in at 0730 and my appointment for pre-op isn't until 4:10!) and finding things to do. The next day, my surgery is scheduled at 11:00 a.m. Will anyone else be out at Dr. Kirshenbaum's those days?

I am SO excited!

Hi everyone!

April Avengers sounds great! Count me in!

:thumbup:Good luck everyone and lets keep in touch!

We are in this together!

Welcome!

Wow, we have a few 'Carol's' in April!! I went to a seminar last night and my EGD this morning. One step closer with every appointment!! WOO HOO!

April 3rd!! Dr Zapata in Monterrey...Self Pay, 7k, 100 lbs to lose...so that I can be a BARREL RACER AGAIN!!! I love to ride, riding is my passion, and I am so excited to get back on these horses and get them going...we have 6 horses, and my DH is super supportive, he loves to watch me compete. Unfortunately, at this weight, not a chance! Poor critters! LOL. I hope I seem like a fly up there next time we go to a race!

I am thrilled to be an April Avenger, and I AM nervous, I just want it behind me so I can start on the long journey to lose 100...

Had a Quarter Pounder with cheese today...the meal...supersized it...

Ugh, its gross. This is one thing I won't miss. This is my last one. Ever.

What is it about this plan that makes us feel like eating ANYTHING and EVERYTHING before we go? Is it something in our psyche that thinks we might be about to starve? Gotta store up for lean times ahead?

Look out Mexico, here I come!

April 3rd!! Dr Zapata in Monterrey...Self Pay, 7k, 100 lbs to lose...so that I can be a BARREL RACER AGAIN!!! I love to ride, riding is my passion, and I am so excited to get back on these horses and get them going...we have 6 horses, and my DH is super supportive, he loves to watch me compete. Unfortunately, at this weight, not a chance! Poor critters! LOL. I hope I seem like a fly up there next time we go to a race!

quote]

Horses are also my passion! I cant wait to ride again!!

Hey All! I'm scheduled for April 16th also. I'm glad to finally be part of the group! :smile2: I start my pre-op stuff on March 31st. I've already started a modified low-carb diet (my surgeon likes a low-carb diet like South Beach prior to surgery) so it won't be quite so "cold turkey". I'm trying to cut back on coffee, etc. Has anyone else started their pre-op diet? Good luck to us April Bandsters!!

It's so fun to hear there are other April Avengers out there who want to ride again. When I was a kid, I wanted a horse SO BAD, that's all I thought and dreamt about. Took lessons when I was 21. When when I had daughters, I made sure they had riding lessons...and now we own 2 horses. They ride and show and are wonderful horsewomen (teens). Now they are ready for college in the next year or so, and I am "stuck" w/ two horses! It's so fun to think if I can get down to a reasonable weight, I can ride them! I've never been on either one of them. All these years I've been chief groom and bill payor.. I can't wait till I'm back in the saddle again after all these years! April 9 can't come fast enough! While I won't be doing dressage tests, a few trail rides sounds like heaven!

I went out to feed today, and my horse followed me around, practically BEGGING to go for a ride! I was tempted to jump on him bareback and gallop around the field until I remembered that I weigh a hundred pounds more than I did the last time I was able to do that!

Its my goal!

quote]

Horses are also my passion! I cant wait to ride again!!

ColoradoChick, what kind of riding do you do?

hi carol it's carol 4784 from se ohio.....and we have same date.....April 8, . Dr. Curry Cincinnati, oh, self pay. I'm a little older (54) and BMI 41. Feel younger than 54 and act younger I think.

Yea for us. Is Joliet near Chicago? We'll need to keep in touch.

Hi carol4784...I'm glad to have someone with the same date as me.

Joliet is southwest of Chicago. I actually grew up in Chicago. I will be 52 in April and my BMI is now 45. I started at 49. I have three children and four grandchildren, with another coming around Halloween. My husband and I drive thru Ohio when we go to WV to visit my son's family. I will add you as a friend and then we can PM each other. Have a great day!

ColoradoChick, what kind of riding do you do?

I ride western mostly. I have done barrel racing, pole bending, trail riding, some western pleasure showing. I have also assisted at Roping events by driving the calves. All of this was while living in Colorado. When I moved to Virginia 18 months ago I left my horses behind. Most people around here do not ride western. :angry_smile:

New Information about Hurley. Normally I would keep the negative to myself, but this may help a future patient at Hurley. Their office staff is the most DISORGANIZED group of individuals I have ever run in to. Additionally, I was there yesterday and signed in for my Nursing/Nutrition class and the staff just keep themselves behind the glass window, not interacting with the patients at all if they didn't have to. Now today I receive a call that unless I pay my ded. & copay immediately they will cancel my surgery! I'm happy to pay and was there yesterday and signed in. I asked the woman on the phone today if signing in and waving to the staff behind the glass window was not enough to indicate I was there, but she just repeated that unless I pay immediately my surgery will be cancelled. My surgery is 3.5 weeks away and they are worried that is not enough time to clear a check??! It's a lot of miles on the highway round trip to go back down there today. I'm calling my bank now and asking if they can increase my debit card allowance for today to cover the payment. (Normally every one's debit card limit is $500 at my bank.)

I know I'm ranting - sorry you guys - but it's the WAY they talk to you on the phone. It comes across as "we've got all the power and you have none. If you want the surgery you have to jump through this hoop, now this hoop, OK, here's another hoop, etc.). I don't know who's running the show there, but they do not have a handle on customer service in even the smallest way. The surgery is a means to an end for me so I will find a way to tolerate the office staff. However, Please be aware that in my experience, the Hurley Bariatric Clinic Office staff is NOT focused on how they come across to their C-U-S-T-O-M-E-R-S.

One last note - As I was leaving I walked through the lobby area where the infamous 'glass window' is located and several staff were listening to another staff complaining about someone. The talker was waiving her arms, etc., bad-mouthing an individual. I didn't stay to listen to that garbage. That kind of office gossip turns my stomach.

I hope this is not indicative of the majority of patient's experiences at Hurley. However if it is, I hope Hurley is able to 'step up' to a higher level of professionalism and compassion very soon.

Hello April Avengers!

I love that name. Had my insurance paid for the surgery, I would have been one of you! As it is, they yanked me around for 6-7 weeks before I confirmed they will not pay. I managed to find which of our local hospitals gave the best deal. (Both are wonderful hospitals) The one I picked had a $11,000 fee for the hospital and $500 program fee. The program fee is for life classes, unlimited support groups and unlimited visits with dietician and coordinator. AND they don't charge co-pays. The hospital that I started with charged $700 plus $50 co-pay for each and every provider I saw. Sorry, I got a little distracted, so I won't continue the rant. :-)

Anyway, I came over here to check our your boards because some of you are closer to my band time that some of the Shrinking Shamrocks. I wanted to suggest that you might want to check out the March, 2008 master thread. There are several of our group that have done every step of the process. I thought it might help to see what others are going through. (pretty much the same as you!)

Anyway, my birthday is April 15th, so I am in with you all in spirit. Good luck in your journey!

Hi April Avengers,

I getting banded in April. I will get my official date at my next appointment on April 3rd. I am shooting for the 11th. I can't wait to change my life.