Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Momof5,

Hang in there. I have lost a lot, but I have been hungry a lot too...and still waiting for that sweet spot. After my last 1cc fill, I felt restricted for about a day or two, then back to being hungry again between meals. I have 4cc in 9-10cc band. Sure, I can't eat as much as pre-band. But, I am wanting to eat more than I should (in order to keep loosing, which is under 1200 cals) This week I'm watching the clock till I can eat again...eating more at meals, etc. I have to wait 4 more weeks till my next fill appointment...it will be a challenge.

Meanwhile, I DIET the old fashioned way - try to avoid eating too much and keep busy to keep my mind off of eating, which isn't easy. I also make sure I walk daily, as much as I have time for and/or feel like doing. scale hasn't changed now in about the last 5 days.

Yes, it gets frustrating -- but the alternative is giving in and eating whatever and then I'll be back to where I was in a flash! DON"T want that!!!!

So keep plugging away and hopefully you'll find that sweet spot (and me too!)

Hi everyone! I'm back from my trip. Can't call it a vacation as it involved shuffling back and forth between my FIL and my mother. And we got caught in last week's weather and our flight home was cancelled TWICE!

I haven't read anything cause it's too much for catch up so just hope everyone is doing well.

I am having my fill Wednesday- my doc hadn't given me one in 9 weeks. I was almost completely open on the trip....could eat anything and did. I haven't been with this long enough for old habits or old emotions to not not send me to food when stressed. I just simply ate tooo much and at my sister's the junk food was everywhere. Gained almost 6 pounds but after two days home, back on my own food and much more Water, I'm only up 2 pounds. Whew. I didn't want a fill before leaving because I was afraid of it being too tight, but I'm really ready now. I don't want to not keep down food, but I was so happy eating less and losing fast....I want that back.

Hi everyone, you all seem to be doing so well. I think I am about ready to throw in the towel. I am hungry most of the time and do not have problems eating any types of foods. I had my surgery on 4/22 and have only lost 15# since surgery. Had a fill on 5/21 and then went back in on 6/23 for a fill and my doctor refused to give me a fill even though I told him it was like the band wasn't even there. I was up 3# since my last visit (TOM was visiting) and he said that I needed to lose those 3# plus more because I must be cheating before he would do a fill again. Well, that just sent me on a downward spiral. I gained another 10# (putting me at 383#) on top of that by grazing on junk foods and carbs. I am trying to get myself back on track. I am back down to 372# this morning (again, TOM is visiting) so hopefully in a few weeks I can be down more weight so I can call the doctor for a fill, but am scared that he won't do it. I am hungry most of the time and can't seem to get myself motivated to get started on some form of exercise. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to sound so depressing.

Gail

Guest Leslie2Lose

kidder - you sound like you really need a fill. I can't believe your doctor wouldn't give you a fill when you needed one. Is there another doctor you can see for fills? I'd find someone that would be supportive and try to help you while you are struggling rather than assuming you are "cheating". Hang in there! I'd call your current doctor and demand to see him. Is he always stingy on fills?

My advise is to stop being depressed and get mad!! You're doctor is full of crap. Our bands don't help until we get effective restriction and that requires fills and if he doesn't get that he shouldn't be doing lap band surgery. You are paying for his services and he does not have the right to refuse. Go back in there and demand a fill.

I gained between my first and second fill also; it's quite common. I got my 4th fill 1 week ago and now have good restriction. I've lost 18 pounds since surgery, 66 overall.

Go get 'em!!

Not sure if he is stingy on fills or not, he thinks because I gained a few pounds that I must be cheating and said that it must be a behavorial issue. I go to a support group meeting next week, so we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely get mad.... Thanks.

Kidder - I agree with everyone else who told you your Dr is insane! My doctor is the complete opposite. He listens and trusts me to know my body and that is the type Dr. you need!

Brandy - I KNOW THE FEELING NOW! I went in yesterday for that 4th fill and told my Dr what had been going on. He checked for leaks and then did the fill. We checked and rechecked. He actually filled it too much where nothing was going through, even after a minute or two. So he took a tiny bit out and there it was! The tiny trickle... got home last night and had dinner. That is when I knew we had found it. I wasn't hungry but tried to eat something. Could only have a few bites and that was it! Then for my normal evening snack of pudding and nuts, five cashews and two bites of pudding was all I could handle. Now this morning, I know I need to eat somthing but just don't feel like it. I hope this lasts!

Brandy - I KNOW THE FEELING NOW! I went in yesterday for that 4th fill and told my Dr what had been going on. He checked for leaks and then did the fill. We checked and rechecked. He actually filled it too much where nothing was going through, even after a minute or two. So he took a tiny bit out and there it was! The tiny trickle... got home last night and had dinner. That is when I knew we had found it. I wasn't hungry but tried to eat something. Could only have a few bites and that was it! Then for my normal evening snack of pudding and nuts, five cashews and two bites of pudding was all I could handle. Now this morning, I know I need to eat somthing but just don't feel like it. I hope this lasts!

It's the best feeling :) I go back in August if I am starting to be able to eat more I may ask him to refresh my fill to make sure I am still at the same or maybe give a baby fill. My doc puts the needle in and fills the band all the way up. He gives me sips of Water and has me sit up. While sitting he slowly withdraws the Fluid from the band until I say stop. So I am in total control of my own restriction.

As for the other conversation about the doctors being stingy with fills. There is no reason you have to take that from your doctor. You pay him for his time. He is at your beckon call. I chose a surgeon that was in agreement with me that I am in command of my health and he is there to guide me.

Switch doctors and don't look back. I interviewed surgeons before I chose one. Everyone should do their research.

Kidder- sounds like in addition to getting mad...you should look for another doctor. I have a real problem when doctors treat patients like children. First, I'd make another appointment with him for a consult and have a heart to heart. Your lapband is not magic, but it is an excellent tool, and he shouldn't deny you using it. We all have good and bad days and weeks sometimes. I gained 5-6 pounds on vacation- don't ask- but it came off when I got home. It just took a few days. I realized that I was toooo open at a time when I was with family and all my emotional triggers. By time I went for a fill today I was back to just about 50 off, but I told my surgeon about the bad week, because he needed to know how easy it was to eat and that I'm not capable of being sane about food yet. You need to have a surgeon you can work with--so try to make it work, but look around at the same time. Good luck.

So, as I mentioned above, I went for my fill today. Only my second, as my surgeon didn't think I'd need one a month after the first. He was just about right, just off by a week or so. Today he tried to give me 2ccs, but there was a bit of reflux- not enough to hurt but it was visible on the fluroscope. Ended up with 1cc. I thought he'd give me 1.5. Anyway, I told him I didn't want to be toooo tight. I think that's scary. Don't want to throw up etc. I'm back on liquids for 2 days then mushies for 2. We'll see how it goes. He wants to see me in four weeks but again, no fill appointment. If I'm eating too much, I'm going to request a fill date rather than consultation. Right now however, I'm a bit nauseous.

Has anyone had nausea for a day or so after a fill? Thanks.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Where is everyone? How are ya'll doing?

Hey Leslie! I've been out of the loop getting kids ready for school!!! Luckily it starts MONDAY and not a day too soon!!! I do love my kids but having 5 at each other all summer and it being so hot the last couple weeks where they can't even go outside is not fun. Plus they are ready to go see all their friends too.

How are things with you? I see you are steadily losing...keep up the good work!

Guest Leslie2Lose

I'm doing pretty good. I go back for my next fill on the 21st. I really need it. I've kinda yo-yo'd the last couple of weeks. I've upped my exercise, so I can see the difference in my body. However, the scales are being uncooperative.

Today was my kids first day of school. Whew! I'm so glad school is back in. I have order in my life. It is chaotic during the summer. I like bedtimes and schedules - lol. It's harder to keep one when school isn't in session.

You look like your losing too! How's life with the band?

I know what you mean about order. We all need it!

Life with the band has been great. I've yo-yoed alot too but since this last fill, things have been so different! I can really only eat 1/2-3/4 cup of food at meals and it has to be slow and steady. Is there anything you can't eat? I've had to say goodbye to Pasta, bread and pizza...anything that won't break down easily gets stuck.

I've also got to get back into my workout routines now. I had been walking 30 minutes every morning and evening but the heat zapped that. And trying to find time to do a video in the house has been almost impossible. I'm actually thinking of joining a gym to get me out of the house and give me something to do.