Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The natural way.

I've been reading on other threads about people catching flack about getting the band and how they should just do it the natural way.

I'm sick of this comment.

Do people catch flack for having a C-section or using epiderals? You never hear "you're cheating, you should have done it the natural way."

In vitro: "You should just live with the fact you can't have kids if you can't do it the natural way"

Sorry just had to rant.:eek:

It is frustrating isn't it? Just try and remind yourself that they just aren't educated about the band. It's not the easy way out. We still need to watch what we eat and exercise. It's just a tool to help us through. You just can't convince some people.

Bless those who are STUPID!!

I get so tired of the comments about this diet, that diet, have you tried exercising, you should do what I did, as they sit there and eat the 5th donut.. Plezzzzzz !!

Do some folks REALLY think they are the weight guru's of the world? Most folks that give me their input, whether I want it or not, are those than HAVE ABSOLUTELY no idea whats it like being in my body, living my life, struggling with weight, cuz if they did... I get more high 5's and less lip from 'em!!!

We ARE ON THE ROAD.. either travel with us, or get the hell out of the way!!!

I agree with you all... The band is our tool for helping with the weight, do you think their's any cure for their dumb... ah mean ignorance?

I actually did get some flack for having epidurals. My response was always "would you get knee surgery without anesthesia?"

The natural way of weight loss obviously hasn't worked for me. I'd torture myself for months on end only to gain it all back and more. I've cried and cried about my weight... no one should have to live like that. Natural schmatural. I'm doing what works!

And I haven't really told anyone about the band, so I don't expect too many comments beyond "WOW YOU LOOK GREAT!" :laugh:

P.S. I did have an 11lb baby without any pain meds whatsoever, and no epidural. I definitely don't recommend it.

Amen! Do we tell diabetics they should go natural rather than taking insulin injections? No siree!

That's why I too haven't told anyone (aside from hubby and Mom...and she need to be educated too). People see me dieting and I tell them that I'm also exercising when they comment on my weight loss so far...and it's not a lie, but all they need to know!

Confession time: When one of my officers at work had this done about 3 yrs ago, I was one of the first claiming he took "the easy way out". I felt you had to work for the weight loss.

Now, after being educated and 6 mos post op, I know the truth. I, too, have never worked so hard at losing weight. I am in the gym 7 days and 4 nights a week. Difference is, I am not only keeping the weight off, I am losing more each week.

This is why I tell just about anyone willing to listen, especially overweight friends, how I feel about the lapband. I tell them if they have any questions whatsoever, to ask away and I'll answer them honestly. Why keep this a secret? At the same time, I feel they need to know about all the work they are going to have to put in for this to be a success.

Great job Ceradad...hopefully you can help to change the perceptions out there one at a time. People just don't know and make assumptions about surgery being the easy way out when we all know better. Once they know better I'm sure their perceptions will change too.

Its all part of the open prejudice against fat people - it is one of the last areas where politically correct people are allowed to show bias and be disdainful. Doing it the easy way? Can you imagine telling someone who had a disease other than obesity to heal themselves the "natural way"?

most folks just don't get it.. After a couple of times trying to share my knowledge of my choice, they don't get it.. I quit and just smile, nodding my head slowly.... I was taught to respect those that are 'touched'.... LOL

I'm working on pure 'will power' right now, won't have a fill for another month or so due to opened area of incision, that needs to heal.. So I sure don't want some size 4 in my face about blah blah blah.. I've got the hard core will power that is going to help this band change my life..... LOL

Maybe after I am successful with the band I will be more open in how my weight loss happened.

I still struggle with a good response for this-that doesnt leave me looking EVIL.

I am preee pre band and losing a tiny amount of weight due to me really fighting the fight because I have the stupid 6 month medically supervised diet to be on.

I have lost less than 7 pounds but I have lost something.

when my "friends" hear this they always start the "you're doing it" speech. "Why can't you just continue to do it on your own"?

The answer? I CAN. Hell, I'm sure I could lose all of it again ON MY OWN but guess what?

95% chance it wil creep back.

I'm 44 this year and I will not let another year go by at an unhealthy weight!

Grrrrr.