Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Rochester

This is my introduction although I've been lurking here for quite some time. I am a SAHM to 4 boys ages 13, 11, 8 and 3. I've always been heavy but was never obese until my 20's. Right now my BMI is 41 and I've obviously chosen the lapband as my tool of choice. I have to go this Monday, March 3rd for my last nutrition weigh in, March 10th is my ultrasound, March 11th is my psych eval and then within the following two weeks I will be able to meet with my surgeon to set a date and get my approval from Cigna, hopefully. My surgeon is Dr. Thaddeus Trus and I love him so far, my surgery will take place at Highland Hospital which is a Bariatric Center of Excellence, so hopefully all will go well.

I absolutely love these boards they are a true lifesaver, I can't imagine having to go through this or any other procedure without having this sort of access to others who have gone through the same thing. I think we often take for granted this wonderful world that is at our fingertips. Anyway thanks to everyone who posts their stories. Right now I am having a difficult time losing weight for my weigh in, trying not to drink liquids with my meals and giving up my beloved diet coke as i've been told after banding all carbonated beverages are off limits forever:(

Great meeting you and if anyone has Dr. Trus please let me know, he is originally from Baltimore and just moved here to Rochester, NY.

I don't know Dr Trus, but please be careful with Highland Hosp. If you stay the night make someone stay with you and make sure the nurses/dr's are doing their job.

unfortunately I am all too familiar with that hospital. I had my third child there, 10 lb 7 oz boy, c-section, and the care was awful. I signed myself out early becuase I knew I would be more comfortable and rested at home even though I had two other children under 4 there! The nurses were awful I had to fight to get my pain medication and they left the baby with me 24/7 even though I could hardly get around. I'm hoping that becuase the Bariatric Center is new and supposedly received all of these accredidations that it is better, but my eyes are open to it. I actually thing I come home that day but I can't remember. Thank you though.

I too am having trouble sticking to the diet plan. It is soooo hard! I have dealt with a lot of tough things but fighting that urge to eat food you love and and only eating veggies, lean protien and minimal carbs is the worst! Highland is great, I had a child there too, and two relatives who had bypass surgery, all good experiences. There will always be bad nurses just like really good ones too where ever you go, just speak up! Good luck!

It looks like Highland will be my hospital as well. I'm just going for my seminiar in a couple of weeks. Kind of scary to think the care there isn't too good... do they make you stay the night or can you go home the same day?

Hi Tangerine4,

I am also from Rochester, NY!!!! I am scheduled to be banded on May 27th with Dr. Dibenedetto - RGH. I am a single mother of 2 girls(daughter and niece). Very excited and determined to make this life altering commitment work for my well being. Please let me know how has your experience been.

Edited by sunshinelady
left out name of person i was directing post to

I had my surgery with Dr D on Apr 8th. Everything went great, the stay at the hosp was good and the nurses there are wonderful.

goodluck wiht your surgery sunshinelady! My first appointment with Dr D is the day after your surgery...i'm sure it will all go well for you! I've heard nothing but good things about Dr D....

Hi, I wish you luck. I had my banding 12/06 at Highland. My experience has been great. The doctors are all great -- top of the field. And my hospitalizations at Highland have all been positive.

Hi everyone! I am also from Rochester and will be banded with Dr. D. My mom is doing the same thing and with her insurance, she needs to see Dr. D rather than O'Malley or the other docs at Highland.

It's nice to see others here from Roch :)

I'm having a terrible time getting the people at Highland to return my calls regarding an insurance question. I've left 4 messages in two weeks and no call back... makes me worried about their customer service.

For those of you who have Dr. D., what is his staff like in regards to actually calling you back?

Actually, they're pretty good at answering questions right on the phone. When they do have to call back it's not a long wait.

Actually, they're pretty good at answering questions right on the phone. When they do have to call back it's not a long wait.

this has been my experience as well!

I think that for a while, Highland was the only center in this area so everyone goes there.

Dr. Dibenedetto came from Buffalo recently so he'll be more widely known soon I'm sure :lol

Hi Firedust,

Dr. D's office is wonderful with calling you back within the same day or if answering your questions right then and there while you are on the phone with them. The customer service at this office is top notch and i wouldn't have gone through this process if it weren't for the ladies in the office. And, Barb you are going to love Dr. D. He's very direct and to the point. Make sure that you comply with everything that he has asked you to do(esp. weight loss requirements). If you don't comply he will not do your surgery. I've actually heard first hand from someone who is seeing him that he sent her away and didn't give her a date because she did not reach his weight requirement.