Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

You inspire me! I was banded the same day as you. Wonder if we had the same band doc. :) You give me hope.

I just reread your post. I got banded March 25, 2008....you had your revision on March 25, 2011. oops. Anyhoo, I am impressed with your story. I recently started to get reflux within the past 6 months, it was so horrific and traumatic. I had all the Fluid taken out of my band. I too really stuck to the rules. Now I am trying to decide what to do. I am gaining again...not to sound depressing, I have just gone through a very traumatic life experience, and I am definitely using food to cope. Eventually and sooner than later, I am hoping for a revision. I think the band has prepared me and has mentally paved the way for future weight loss, there are many reason why people are over weight. Being banded helped me remove my emotions and issues with food like an onion. Each layer at a time..and yes I love food references. ;)

I can so relate, I to went thru some personal experiences and food has always been my comfort. Keep your head up, you can always go the sleeve route you will ask yourself why I didn't do it sooner, I WAs scared Of change,.the what ifs, I haven't been on lapbandtalk for over a year, your post sounded just like me. I had to let you know. check into the Sleeve I encourage you,.it will be worth every move,.and you will not have all these worries. Its a 360 change from the band, wish I knew about it before I got banded.

I am surprised that none of our shamrocks have posted in such a long time. I wanted to report that I had to have my band removed yesterday. It had slipped and after months of getting stuck, throwing up, and acid reflux I had to face the inevitable. Luckily, no erosion to my other organs. I plan on doing the Sleeve procedure in January, after giving my body time to heal from the band removal. I've put on 40 pounds this last year dealing with the band problem since the dr had opened it wide open hoping it might go back in place but that didn't help :(. Unfortunately, my insurance would only pay for 1 weight loss surgery, so I will be self pay for the sleeve, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Hope everyone is doing well and wish everyone Happy Holidays.

Hi Teri,

I want to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. I also had to have my band removed last year. Since then I have been struggling to not gain weight back and it's not working. I attempted to have the vertical sleeve surgery but my insurance company would only pay for one surgery also. I never inquired as to the price of the sleeve surgery because I couldn't afford to pay it. I don't know if they have some kind of loan you can apply for or if you just have to find a loan outside the hospital to pay for it. I have gained back 50 of the 97 pounds I lost and I am so frustrated. Does anyone know how this is done? I guess I should call the bariatric center and ask them. Anyway, I wish all the banded and formerly banded a Happy Holiday.

kathy

Hi Teri' date='

I want to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. I also had to have my band removed last year. Since then I have been struggling to not gain weight back and it's not working. I attempted to have the vertical sleeve surgery but my insurance company would only pay for one surgery also. I never inquired as to the price of the sleeve surgery because I couldn't afford to pay it. I don't know if they have some kind of loan you can apply for or if you just have to find a loan outside the hospital to pay for it. I have gained back 50 of the 97 pounds I lost and I am so frustrated. Does anyone know how this is done? I guess I should call the bariatric center and ask them. Anyway, I wish all the banded and formerly banded a Happy Holiday.

kathy[/quote']

Hi Kathy, I know how frustrated you must be with your weight gain because I am going thru the same struggle. You should check with your center about financing, mine had a couple of loan options available or I could have gone outside of the hospital for my own loan, i could also have put it on a credit card. My surgeon has a "special" price of $11,999 for the sleeve surgery which is all inclusive of hospital and surgeon fees. Yes, it's a lot of money but if it helps me keep my weight off it will be worth it.

I hope you get the chance to do the Sleeve, I only hope that I don't gain much more before my surgery in January. :(

Hi Teri,

Wow! I think $11,999 is a great price. My lapband surgery was $23,000 so I figured the sleeve would be around that amount. Maybe I will call and check it out. Thank you for the info. When I first had the band removed I still ate the small amounts but gradually my stomach enlarged and I could eat more. You should be alright since your surgery is in January. I think the biggest obstacle will be the holidays and all the tempting food for you. If you can watch how you do during the holidays you shouldn't gain much before your surgery. Hopefully, I will be able to meet up with you on Verticalsleevetalk.com.

I am finding that I don't seem to be eating as much now either but it's only been 4 days since my band is out, I think about food all of the time and have watched my scale go up every week for the last year. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the sleeve or I would have gotten it done a few months ago, but now I can't wait. I hope too that we will meet up again on the sleeve website, good luck on your next journey, whatever you decide!

Hi,

My band slipped last fall and after it was emptied I quickly gained 20 pounds. I had the band removed with a revision to bypass Feb 21 2012. It is totally and completely different than the band. I have hit a plateau and now have to work to get off my last 20 pounds. I had problems with the band from about 6 months post op.

I wish you both the best with your procedures and keeping the weight off.

Christine.

Thank Christine. Isn't it amazing how fast the weight goes on and how slow it is to lose it. Good luck to you too in losing you last 20 lbs.

Checking in on Day 2 after having the Sleeve surgery done on Thursday. I'm having a hard time getting my liquids down, yesterday I didn't have much of anything because it irritated my stomach, I think it's better today so hopefully I can keep hydrated. It's been nice having this thread to go to with my fellow bandsters, but time for me to check out the sleeve website, talk later!

I am surprised that none of our shamrocks have posted in such a long time. I wanted to report that I had to have my band removed yesterday. It had slipped and after months of getting stuck, throwing up, and acid reflux I had to face the inevitable. Luckily, no erosion to my other organs. I plan on doing the Sleeve procedure in January, after giving my body time to heal from the band removal. I've put on 40 pounds this last year dealing with the band problem since the dr had opened it wide open hoping it might go back in place but that didn't help :(. Unfortunately, my insurance would only pay for 1 weight loss surgery, so I will be self pay for the sleeve, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Hope everyone is doing well and wish everyone Happy Holidays.

I have not done well with the band at all... due to acid reflux I can't keep enough fill in the band to do much good. I was told that they just leave the unfilled band in rather then remove it! How did that surgery go for you? I would like to get mine removed..I think. :unsure:

I have not done well with the band at all... due to acid reflux I can't keep enough fill in the band to do much good. I was told that they just leave the unfilled band in rather then remove it! How did that surgery go for you? I would like to get mine removed..I think. :unsure:

Band removal surgery went fine, I did well with the band and lost 114 lbs with it and kept it off the first 4 years. My band slipped after going in for a fill and it was too tight, I was throwing up and had acid reflux really bad, consequently they completely unfillled my band and I gained 20 lbs really quick. After being unfillled a year later I have gained back 50 lbs, the band had to come out because it had slipped, with that being said my surgeon offered to remove the band at a reduced price and do the sleeve for his self pay price for people who didn't have insurance coverage. If my band had not slipped then I probably would not have had it removed. If your band isn't causing problems since you are until unfilled I'd leave it there unless you have insurance coverage to pay for the removal.

Hi Everyone! It has been a LONG time since I have been on here! Next month it will be 5 years!!

Here is some info on me:

I was 250 lbs when I got the Surgery; through Tricare (military) while stationed in Vicenza Italy. Surgery was done by Dr. Favretti and Dr. Segato on the economy.

I have a 10 CC band.

I have had about 4-5 fills, I honestly cannot remember because I got a fill that was to tight and we had to unfill it.

My lowest weight was 155 (as far as I know)

Since I stopped working, I have gained 10 pounds and I can eat 2 plates at a buffet if I am super hungry or depressed.

I was in a size 22 and I am in a size 9 (barely) right now.

I am going on Wednesday February 20 2013 to get another fill. I will be turning 30 on April 2nd, so hopefully I can change my eating habits again and get back on track. I will be going to Las Vegas too, so you know I have to look good! My husband will also be home on leave from deployment for 2 weeks, and I want to look good for him as well :)

It is amazing the things I have learned from this surgery. How to eat, what to eat, what NOT to eat (like raw carrots), and how much confidence I have gained!

I still have people ask me if it was worth it, and yes, it is!! I would do it again in a heart beat, AND reccomend it to anyone!

Anyway, Hope everyone is doing well with their bands!!

Trisha :)