Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

I haven't had a fill in over a year. I wanted one the last time I had an appointment (6/09) but my Dr was out (I've only been filled by my Dr) and I saw the PA. She said after a few questions NO FILL. Go home and work on the diet.

It is now a year later, I've regained A LOT and am now afraid and embarrassed to go see my Dr.

I think I will cry went I see my Dr. I was doing well before the PA shut me down. He was proud of me. She made me feel like there wasn't anything the band could do for me now. It was all up to me. Now Im, well I don't want to say a failure, but gosh what else would I be??

So do I knuckle down and try to again lose by myself or suck it up and go to the DR??

Has anyone else had to suck it up? How did that go?

My last fill was about 3 months ago - I can still eat anything I want, although bread I have to take slow.

Anyway, it's always been a question of willpower - the band doesn't stop us from eating, it helps us feel full on less. You always lost the weight by dieting.

It's all about habits: once you got out of the habit of eating badly and doing nothing, you lost weight. Once you get back into the habit of eating not very much, you'll lose weight again.

Doing the 5 day thing reminds your body that, yes, you can feel OK eating a lot less. Eating that way actually feels good. You just have to reattune to how it feels to be full with little food.

Thinking in terms of "failure" because you put some weight back on is a waste of time. There's no point crying over spilt milk - you know what you need to do, so just do it!

You've done it before, so you know you can...

Well friends I lost a few days to check in because the job monster got me last Friday - yep, lost the job I had for 14.5 years - walked out the door and felt rotten. I'm going to be okay financially for the short term but it really messes with your mind to lose your job. I had some food pity parties over the weekend and then buckled back down with some walking and trying to stay busy while I get back into the job hunt. Wish me luck and just keep reminding me and all others, its a choice of whether food will Really make me feel better --- NOT!

Oh, Special K, that's awful! I'm so sorry to hear that.

Sounds like maybe this will even help focus your concentration on one part of your life that you're in complete control over; you've had your pity party, and moved on. You're not going to let this derail your fantastic work!

Oh Boy, Special K

I've been hanging on to my job with my fingernails. It is a tough market out there. Best of luck on your search. You've proven to be tenacious and focused in this weight loss battle Im sure this will not set you back to much, if at all. You're not a quitter!!

Hi. I haven't been here in close to 9 months and I don't think I've posted in even longer than that. It's great to see so many of you have had wonderful success with your band -- congratulations! :smile2: I'm with those of you now 2+ years after surgery still struggling. I kind of stopped checking in on this site when I felt like I just couldn't relate with the way my personal band experience was going.

My band and I were constantly battling. My fill levels have continually gone down (from a high of 7.2cc's to a current 3.8cc's) because I have such wildly fluctuating reactions with the band. Seemingly randomly, my band just closes up. And I don't mean if I mess up bite sizes or not chewing well or menstrual cycles. It's beyond frustrating. When I was laid off from my job last fall after 15 years and my mother's health was deteriorating, I decided to just take a break from this band/weight loss rollercoaster and just focus on more important things.

I can totally relate to the scary job market -- it took me 5 months of actively trying before I could even get an interview, much less a job. And in the meantime, my mom passed away, and to be honest, I was glad to be jobless during that period. I've found a new job, albeit with a 70% salary cut :eek:, but it beats unemployment and it's much more personally satisfying. :)

I'm happy to report that my band, while not really giving me proper restriction, at least kept my weight gain to a mere 10 lbs. I can only imagine if it hadn't been there how much I would've put on with stress eating!! I'm working on getting off those extra lbs now (can't seem to find time for exercise with my new 2-hour commute) with better eating habits once again. You know, stop eating soft foods (something I always do), eat hard Proteins first, veggies next, minimize starches, etc. However, I still haven't found a way to break up my love triangle with Ben & Jerry. :)

I still have 50% of my excess weight to lose and really do want to make progress. I'm not sure I remember the password to update my ticker, but first I need to get back to where it was. I haven't had an adjustment on my band in over 7 months because I have an early morning reflux issue, and adding more Fluid will just exacerbate that situation. Between the acid and the many problems I've had with my band (too many slips to remember), I'm thinking seriously about getting a revision from the band to a sleeve (not sure how to pay for that though). I know it's not a magical solution either, but for people who have a real sensitivity to the band, it seems like it might just be a better tool.

Anyway, that's my update. Let's see if we can get back on track together. Maybe checking in more frequently will help...

Chica - your story is so moving (emotionally) to me. It just shows me how we all had major ups and downs that we used to use food to solve -- me losing a job, you with the things you had, others have just as important things to them. I am still grateful to have a tool that tells me STOP are you sure you want to do this? At least for most things I eat. I tried to eat a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich yesterday on a hamburger bun since I didn't have any bread, and I could barely eat it and I was PBing as a punishment for even trying it. Then later on, we had another huge Fathers Day feast and I couldn't leave the macaroni and cheese alone (slider food royal!) and then couldn't keep my hands off the chocolate cake -- SO--- yesterday is behind and today is a new day. I took a nice long walk/jog combination to start the day and I am committed to making good choices today. AND I am sending resumes out today for sure.

Hoping I get some replies in a reasonable time so I don't get too discouraged.

Special best of luck finding a job.

We are celebrating fathers day today at a restaurant with my hubby, sons, and father in law. So I'll be fighting off the urges to pig out on the Desserts.

I've been buying clothes made for skinny people and guess what they fit me!!!!!! I bought a sundress and a skirt in the size small and they both fit. Wooooooo Hoooooo!

Scrappy -- that is fabulous about the size SMALL things. So happy for you. I bought a size Medium shirt (the breast reduction did help!) and am committed to getting the bottom half of my pear shape now down to a Medium!

I have two job recruiter prospects already in my first day of sending resumes out to talk to some folks in person. I'm heading out to get my nails done pretty and just keeping positive. Heck, I look even more professional now to go along with the "chops" or experience I have built over the years, so why not go forward believing in myself.

Ola Chica! I'm really glad you found work, even if it's a bit of a pay cut. And Special K, I bet you feel a lot better going out at your fantastically trimmed size than you would have had you been looking for work in your original one. I think that enhanced self-confidence is going to work wonders for you.

And Scrappy! Congratulations! Not an XL, not an L, not even a medium, but a SMALL! That's fantastic work!

Ajoneen? How's it going? Have you begun the five day band rejuvenation or whatever it's called?

I'm doing well on my 1250 calories a day. The weight's coming off quickly, as it did when I first started. One thing, though: I'm worried that I'm eating food that's too soft. I do eat some solid food, but I start the day with the Official Fenton shake, or a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios (keeps me regular - yes, that's a problem again, back on the wagon), and at lunch and dinner I've been having vegetable curries, which are pretty soft, or Soups (more along the line of stews, really, but again very soft).

I suppose I should switch over to something chewier, although I don't know what exactly that guideline is supposed to do. Yesterday I had a pretty big lunch, more than my entire day's allowance, but felt fine after it.

Anyway, yes: progress! With room for improvement!

Alas size small will never be in my future, my bone structure would never allow it. + Im 5'8".

Fenton- Mmm curries. Do you have them with rice? How are you at eating one cup at a meal. I've really never been able to do that. A cup of anything just never holds me. Regarding the soft foods. I really don't think the form of the food matters as much as how long it keeps you full. For me Protein shakes don't stay with me long enough. Im hungry a couple hours later. As in tummy rumbles. A Protein Bar however can keep me good for 3+ hours. Yesterday I had 6oz of steak & a cup of grapes and found myself looking for a snack 2 hrs later. Today I had 6oz of steak & a cup of pasta(garlic & EVOO) and Im good to go. Mornings I try to have yogurt with fruit or Fiber One that's soft and sticks with me. I've been reading up on the 5day Pouch Test and it looks promising. Probably start next week to kick start.

Hi again Chica. Your added stress has definitely taken it's toll on your progress. I know NYCMoo has had alot of band difficulties too. These last 12 months have been a bear for me too, but I gotta say "thank the band Gods" I haven't had problems with the band. Knock wood.

I don't know - no matter how much I eat, I end up feeling full. And it lasts pretty well. I have my patented Fenton shake at 8AM, and I'm really good until say 2PM, maybe longer (I've not tried to go longer). (Fenton shake: 1 can Slimfast Optima French vanilla, 1 frozen banana, 1 Tbsp of Protein powder, 1 teaspoon of Benefiber or whatever, 2 Tbsp of freeze-dried Peanut Butter powder, 1 large pinch of salt. It weighs in at around 400 cals, and has enough nutrients thanks to the SLimfast to see you through most of the day.)

lunch today I had 1/2 of a Trader Joe's chicken Serenada (chicken breast with strips of cactus in a small slather of rich sauce, 290 cals); I find the chicken a bit hard after the fairly soft diet. I should chew better, really, and drink when I eat.

Then for dinner I had a cup of Hale and Hearty Curried Shrimp and Corn bisque (first time I had it, yikes, 320 calories, and I bought a quart!) plus one slice of their whole grain bread (140 cals). And I've had some Trader Joe's Honey O's, their (better) Honey Nut Cheerios rip-off.

I'm a bit dismayed about the nutrition data on the bisque - I should've looked before I ordered. I've got three more meals of it. I love their lobster bisque, which is 180 cals, but, at 5 g Protein, is a little less than half the Protein grams. But it's tasty! Made with a bit of coconut milk and roasted pumpkin. Oh, and lobster.

Hmm. I just read that Daniel Boulud, famed French chef and owner of Restaurant Daniel, likes H&H's Three Lentil Chili: it's 160 cals a cup, with 10 g of Fiber and 10 g of protein...

I love anything from Hale & Hearty. Before my office downsized and moved I had one around the corner. I miss Tuscan White bean, Senegalese chicken w/peanuts, black lentil w/ double smoked bacon & Three Lentil Chili. I could go on and on. Probably better I don't have easy access to them anymore.

About "I should chew better, really, and drink when I eat". Yep chew better but I don't know about your Dr but mine said no drinking with meals, or half hour before or after. Moves food out of the stoma to quickly.