Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

my PS surgery was not covered by insurance. I was happy at my current weight, but they flt another 25-30# was needed. I did not agree o I self paid. If they would cover anything it is just the pannectomy, lower apron of excess skin.

I know breasr reduction is a bit easier to get covered. back pain, welts on shoulders from bra straps.. all this can influence insurance company..

I understand the stress of issues with ailing/elderly parents. I am helping my boyfriend deal with that issue now. The stress for him is tremendous. All I do is give my support and a person to talk things over with.. Just remember to take care of yourself. Stress will make the band feel tighter..

Hi out there to all the Shrinking Shamrocks. I officially crossed or hit the -120 lbs mark this week. Still alot to go and its going slower but going down. I'm really doubling my efforts to get exercise. I'm convinced my body is going to fight giving up this last 60 lbs because I have lost 100 lbs before and then hit this kind of a wall and then slowly slid down the slippery slope and gained it back.

Our work place had a Wellness campaign that started mid-June and ends today and we had a website to log our minutes and type of exercise in for that time period and I had over 3,000 minutes in 2 months! I signed up for an August 2,000 minutes exercise challenge on obesityhelp's lapband forum and boy I now realize that was quite the stretch goal. Even with dedicated working on it, I'm at 1070 minutes at Aug 21 with 10 days left to go to fit in 930 minutes -- averaging 93 minutes a day -- no way that is possible with my crazy life right now, but it has pushed me to get up and get moving.

I plan to start checking into plastic surgery consultations when I get to about 30 lbs left to go or so because I figure they will probably take 15-18 lbs of skin and fat off me and I know to get the insurance to cover the panniculectomy, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops just like getting approved for lapband WLS surgery. I also want to go to at least two different surgeons to get a second opinion and get a couple different price quotes since most of this cost is not covered by insurance and I figure I have to pay out of pocket by taking a loan out probably. I'm hoping to trade off a monthly car payment (done about next July) for the payments on the plastic surgery!

I'd love to see some pictures if any of you who have had your surgery would be willing to post and/or share via a Private Message.

I am wearing a 38c bra and it is way too big I could probably fit a 36B and the boobs I do have are hanging way down south.

I will need a revision on my Tummy Tuck. I saw the doc on tuesday and the top part of my belly is still too saggy. He said that happens a lot of times when there is so much skin. He said he would do it without charging me more. He also said insurance might cover to have something else done. He said to still give it time and see what happens with the lower part of my belly since that is still hard. he thinks that will loosen up some. Not really wanting more surgery but I am not happy with the results so far.

Thigh revision, that will be decided on 9/3 at next follow up. Told it will be in the office. that bothers me.. plan on a few days vacation to recoup. Other than that I am fairly pleased, but still have swelling to deal with.

5 days until my plastic surgery. I am running around like crazy trying to get everything prepared. I have 3 kid who just started back at school and they are finally settling in. I filled all my prescriptions already and purchased tons of pillows and bedding to keep me as comfortable as posible. Any extra tips/ideas/suggestions of must haves for the recouperation period? I am a little freaked out by the amount of percosets and valiums that my doctor has given me. For how long were you guys hunched over? Will I feel like the Hinchback of Notre Dame? I think I am justfreaking out as this gets closer. I am trying to think ahead to how happy I'll be a month or two down the road.

5 days until my plastic surgery. I am running around like crazy trying to get everything prepared. I have 3 kid who just started back at school and they are finally settling in. I filled all my prescriptions already and purchased tons of pillows and bedding to keep me as comfortable as posible. Any extra tips/ideas/suggestions of must haves for the recouperation period? I am a little freaked out by the amount of percosets and valiums that my doctor has given me. For how long were you guys hunched over? Will I feel like the Hinchback of Notre Dame? I think I am justfreaking out as this gets closer. I am trying to think ahead to how happy I'll be a month or two down the road.

I had ocycotin, keflex, percocet. only took for 3 days once I got home. be ware, th pain killers will constipate you. and the first time you go will hurt..take Miralax to help go easier..

I was hunched over a bit for about a week. still a bit of discomfort with up and down in a chair, especially as the day goes on. but really doing good, 3 weeks post op..back to work for half days next week.

good luck on your surgery

Hi, I know it's been a while....Glad to see you guys doing so well with your PS.

I am going to schedule a fill!!! I am so excited....The GI doc says that since I am gaining weight and very concerned about that I could give it a try to help with the quantity restriction.

I currently have a horrible problem with meats and hard cooked veggies or eggs....and that's with an empty band. I have to chew, chew, chew everything....even with an empty band, but I am getting a fill. If I have to eat like a bandster because of my gastric emptying problem, why not have the band help me out with quantity? So I will call today to schedule a fill and hopefully be losing again soon!!

Christine

Hello all.

It's been a while since I've checked the thread. So much is going on. All the plastic surgery. So proud of all the continued weight loss. Glad to see someone is succeeding.

Me, not so good. The same three pounds are on and off. I'm essentially the same weight I was this time last year. I know if I worked harder at it I would have more success. My food choices are for the most part good. Im sure there could be more tweaking but realistically I can't do any better.

Exercise is the hard part. If I could do 3-5 days a week I know I would be a success. I responded well to coaching but I've hit my $$ limit. Personal trainers work but are expensive!! I can not afford to invest any more. I had reduced the sessions to once a week thinking that would stretch out the time I had and hold me accountable. Ha! Even with me paying for him to care I could tell he was losing interest. Today it really hit me because I went to my trainers only to find he is out of business. I had prepaid for my sessions and am now out that $$. I wish I had someone in my life that cared more about my health then I do.

My job is sucky. I do the financial side of the business and can see that the company is sinking. We are downsizing like crazy and moving the office to a smaller location but I think I will need to be looking for another job soon. Which sucks because Im socially close to my boss & his family and that friendship will suffer. Ya more stress.

I gotta say Im feeling like a failure. I used to look in the mirror and think I looked good. Big yes, but good. Now I just see hanging, flabby, rolls of skin.

I am the stereotypical fat person. I complain about the situation but am not willing to actually do the hard work that is necessary.

Not sure why I felt the need to come over here and darken your day. Guess I just needed to unburden. Feeling guilty.

Tomorrow is the big day. I am supposed to be at the surgery center at 7:30, and the surgery is set for 8:30. I will be so glad when it is all over and I am feeling good again. The procedure is outpatient. Part of me would rather stay the night at the hospital, but that is not the way my surgeon does it. I will post when I am feeling up to it again... I hope it's sooner rather than later!

Tomorrow is the big day. I am supposed to be at the surgery center at 7:30, and the surgery is set for 8:30. I will be so glad when it is all over and I am feeling good again. The procedure is outpatient. Part of me would rather stay the night at the hospital, but that is not the way my surgeon does it. I will post when I am feeling up to it again... I hope it's sooner rather than later!

Good luck, let us know how you made out when you fell better

Ajoneen -- please come here and stay in touch. We can be here for you at no cost and we do care about your long term health and success as you try to get on track and keep moving on down!

I really feel for you about pre-paying for the exercise help and then it going down the drain. I had something like that years ago with a fitness center that was just women and they had me pre-pay like a 2-year membership and went under only a year into it and I lost that. So when I joined one this past winter, I made sure it is a monthly payment thing that I can shut off if they go out of business and I specifically asked if I was able to shut off paying if they go out of business even though I signed up for a 2 year total commitment to get the monthly rate I did.

Yes, STRESS plays a huge part in our weight loss and metabolisn, hormones, etc. and you have more than your share right now so I'd say if you are maintaining within a 3 lb range for this stressful period that it is a success you can appreciate if you think about it because in the past, I would have been on the way back up in lbs when I was under alot of stress - it would be 3 lbs, then 10 and then 20 lbs before I even knew it and then I'd give up on whatever diet I was doing. So hang in there!

Good luck to EVELAS on her P/S today!

Edited by SpecialK

Just out of curiousity, is everyone getting plastic surgery? I know I'm pretty young but hell has anyone thought of other alternatives? I have been reading up and the best things for skin elesticity is Water, amino acids, lotion etc... It seems like a never ending battle to do what you're suppose to but it seems like if it works I will be able to avoid painful surgery. This may not fix everything but even if I do have to do surgery maybe it won't be much or as costly. Anyone else have my view or are most just like to hell with you? I am personally scared as hell of going under and not to mention don't want to be in pain for weeks after recovery.:blushing:

plastic surgery - As we age the elasticity of our skin decreases. At 55 I know there is little chance to get back to what I would like after my weight loss. therefore I opted for PS. Always a personal choice and the cost is a major factor. I am glad I did it. I will admit I think the recovery was more painful than the LB surgery, but I had alot done. back to work after 4 weeks

I work out quite a bit now but nothing is helping the arms with sagging skin and my tummy just based on how much I am losing. I've had at least 2 others who were "gym rats" said the extra working out helped them have better muscles but they needed the PS to get rid of the skin.

Gosh, everyone must be super busy, no posts for a few days.

Back to work full days starting tomorrow..Can't wait. 4 1/2 weeks post PS surgery.. feeling about 80%. will be awhile until 100%, but all in all feeling good and very glad I did the surgery.

Lynn - good to hear you are feeling well enough to go back to light duty for work. I think everyone is busy trying to enjoy the last bits of the summer. I love the Fall season with its leaves but then I am also mourning the long glorious days in the summer where it stayed light out past 9pm - its already getting dark mostly at 8pm now...booo hoo... Actually September marks the 18 months or 1.5 years anniversary for us March lapbanders --- can't believe how much time is flying by.