Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet.... Please Help!

Hi There, I Am Only 5 Days Post Op And I Am Already Really Hungry And Find That Soup Just Doesnt Cut It, I Dont Know How I Will Get Through Til Normal food. I Cant sleep At Night Because Of The Hunger Pains. I Am Ashamed To Admitt That Earlier Today I Ate Some Burger Rings (chips), I Sucked On Them Until They Were Soft And Then Chewed And Chewed And Slowly Swallowed. I Didnt Have Any Trouble Getting It Down.. I Am So Confused And Down On Myself, I Feel Like Such A Failure. Thinking Maybe I Shouldnt Have Been Banded.

Hi There, I Am Only 5 Days Post Op And I Am Already Really Hungry And Find That Soup Just Doesnt Cut It, I Dont Know How I Will Get Through Til Normal food. I Cant sleep At Night Because Of The Hunger Pains. I Am Ashamed To Admitt That Earlier Today I Ate Some Burger Rings (chips), I Sucked On Them Until They Were Soft And Then Chewed And Chewed And Slowly Swallowed. I Didnt Have Any Trouble Getting It Down.. I Am So Confused And Down On Myself, I Feel Like Such A Failure. Thinking Maybe I Shouldnt Have Been Banded.

Hey! Don't be so down on yourself! I was banded 5 days ago also. I am staying hungry, too, craving foods and having hunger pangs. I am wondering if it is because we haven't had our first "fill" yet? Anybody else have this happen?

Hi Smingsoph, Do you have a dietician that you can ring? Are you having Optifast as this is very filling? I found that having to sip 50mls fluids every 30mins stopped me from being hungry. I am 6 weeks banded tomorrow and having my first fill on Friday. Good luck. Keep sipping and hopefully that might help you.

Saleel22

Are you still in the "mushy" phase? Can you try eating food that has Fiber in it? I would think soft (steel cut) oatmeal with fruit, .scrambled eggs, Protein Drinks, Soups, fish ..I really like Dr. Oz's books "You on a Diet" etc. If you are really hungry try to force yourself to eat healthy first then go for the "bad" stuff after your full from the good stuff. I think there should be better nutritional counceling when you go for something like this! IT's not your fault...call your surgeon asap! .

Hi Smilingsoph! I was banded 5 days ago also. I have not been hungry at all. I am wondering if it is your diet. My doctors have you drink protien 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op. Did you have to do this? I dont get anything but liquids until March 7. The protien powder/meals we use are smartfourm. I have a web site somewhere if you would like it. They have great food, Soups, hot chocolate, oatmeal, drinks, cappicino, etc, etc. Keep your head up. Leah

Hi all I was banded a week ago today and still on full liquids. The Soups don't last long for me but the Protein Shakes do. Last night though Ifelt like I had a pill stuck in my throat all night and there were some strnage effervescent bubbling noises and feelings. I hadn't taken anything since before 6pm. It still feelis like I've got something "stuck in my crawl" anyone heard of this? It couldn't still be the Tylenol could it? Not liking this feeling. Have been doing great until last night. Help!!!

Check with your doctor on what you can eat. I have been on SmartForme shakes (agree they are very filling and 35 grams of Protein - and dont taste bad at all), yogurt and baby food and am never hungry (although I do crave now and then). I am two weeks post op and the additional benefit (besides allowing stomach to heal) of this diet has been 30 lb's lost. I do understand that until you get your first fill - mine is in 3 weeks - there may be hunger, and that this is normal.

Hi smilingsoph. You need to speak to your surgeon and/or nutritionist if you're this hungry. Admit your mistake to them and then move on. My surgeon requires three Protein Shakes a day during the full liquid phase. Are you still in Clear Liquids? Most people do not have restriction at all before their first fill, so you shouldn't be so down on yourself. This is called "bandster hell" -- you're still healing so your band isn't working yet. You have to let yourself heal. Just hang in there, you can make it...:biggrin:

hey smley

I know how hungary you could get. I have not been able to adhere good to my postop diet so I'm ashamed also. But why are we herer to begin with. I spoke with my doctor and he said I could get my first fill earlier. I hope this will help.

Hello, I never posted on a forum before so I hope I'm doing this right..lol. Smiling, I am having the same problem as you, I am 7 days in and I am starving, I literally feel weak and like I'm going to pass out from the hunger. I scrambled an egg and ate it which made me feel so much better. I went for my week post op appointment yesterday and told my Dr. what I have done, his main concern is if u eat something that can cauz vomitting that can be a serious problem because then the stomach from the bottom can come through the top which can lead to the OR is serious cases. It's very hard to talk to Dr.s anymore and get a straight answer because everyone is feared to be sued, which is completely understandable in todays world. My only suggestion is that if you choose to eat something make sure it is very soft and is Protein base, not chips with carbs. Hope maybe I helped!

burger rings YUM.. lol but 5 days post op i wouldnt be taking them even if they were chewed right.. the whole reason we did banding is cause we wanted to lose weight ..lol try having a protien shake this may help its helping me..

Are you getting enough Protein. My doctor had me on Clear liquids plus 2 Protein shakes (mixed with skim milk) a day until Day 10. I found that when I got all the Protein Shakes in and drank the full 64 ounces of Water, juice, crystal light, etc. I didn't get hungry. I had a lot of head hunger issues, where I felt like I should be eating something because it was that time of day. Staying hydrated goes a long way to filling the hunger void.

Good luck and hang in there. It's worth the price.