Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay...I'm Freaking Out!!

Okay, so, my surgery is in a couple of days, and I'm starting to freak out!!

Am I really going to have to give up all of my favorites? Potatoes...Sandwhiches...Sushi...Pizza (with a few sips of coke)?

Now, I'm not saying I want to eat these things with every meal, but I don't think I could face a lifetime of meat and salad (aka Atkins)...please, somebody tell me is this really how life is after the band, or can you still eat these things?

Help! :)

Hi Luckylinds,

I just wanted to share with you that I can still eat these things, just not very much and I have to take small bites. Also, I have to chew very well. I can eat these things as long as there is not any swelling going on. Pretty much though, I feel like I just want to have Protein Shakes and Soup during the day because I am really tight in the morning and afternoon. I had an episode last week where some sausage got stuck and I had to go back to liquids for a few days until the swelling went down, but now again I can eat pretty much anything I want. The only thing that contionously causes me great distress are spring rolls. I have not a clue as to why. I refer to my band as my road block and sobriety check point (LOL). I am 5 months out and I have lost almost 40 lbs, and while that may not seem like alot, to me it is because I have lost weight many times only to put it right back on. I need this band. I wasn't able to achieve permenant weight loss on my own. I have recently began to exercise since I have been at a plataue

for almost 4 weeks, and that should get things moving again. The most amazing news is I haven't put one of those pounds back on!!!!! Not one. This band really does for me what I couldn't do for myself, put the fork down. Try, and I know it's hard, to stop freaking out and really try to focus on the great decision you have made. This is not always an easy road for me or I'm sure for others, but it's working. I am still learning what I can and cannot do. I must admit I'm hard headed, like when I try to eat solids when I know there is still swelling. But I've had enough. The pain is not worth it. I had the realization one day that it's almost like someone with a twisted, swollen ankle and they keep trying to walk on it. How dumb is that??? LOL But like I said I'm hard headed. My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Thurs and I know everything will go just fine. I'm raising my water bottle to yours and my weight loss. Cheers

Thanks Cindy - that was a huge help!

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all this trouble to be skinny....but then again, it's been so long, I forget what skinny feels like. It's funny, ever since deciding to do this band, it's like all of the annoying and troublesome things with being overweight start to get worse. And I've never noticed before how much my legs and knees hurt when going down stairs, or how my lower back aches when I walk too fast...the little things. Well, I'm flying down to my appointment Wed morning, and that should be the last time I ever have to ask for a seat belt extender!! (I travel a lot, and I have to say, fitting comfortably into the airplane seats is a BIG motivator for me!)

Congratulations on your weight loss success so far, you must feel very proud and empowered with your new life! Thanks for your happy thoughts and prayers, and cheers right back at you! :)

HI IM FEELING THE SAME WAY PLUS GUILT BECAUSE WE ARE BUYING A HOUSE AND ITS DRAINING ALL OUR MONEY AND THEN MY HUBBY IS LIKE WHY DONT YOU JUST CANCEL YOUR SURGERY WE COULD REALLY USE THAT 10K...BUT I WANT TO BE SMALLER I WANT TO BUY CLOTHES FROM THE REGULAR SIZES...I DONT WANT TO SHOP IN THE BIG GIRL SECTION I CANT DEAL ..I LOVE FASHION AND I MISS IT ...OK SO IM OFF THE SUBJECT ..BUT I FEEL THE SAME I LOVE SUSHI AND DONUTS AND CAKE ,,,I HOPE I CAN STILL HAVE THESE THINGS LATER.. IM ON MY PREOP DIET NOW IT SUCKS..ALOT

:)

Im am sooooooo with you!!!!!!!!!! My surgery was just scheduled for March 13th and that exact though has been running threw my head ever since. I wont be able to eat dozen of chicken wings, have my favorite dinner RIBS! have few pieces of pizza to MUCH to name but then I think again................this is EXACTLY why I am the size that I am!!!!

If I can at least have a bite of these things, I will be happy!!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to chime- in with my two cents here, I think you guys will do fine but you also have to realize that when you have this surgery, it changes how you deal with certain foods mentally. In other words, some things you think you cannot live without now may actually disgust you after the surgery-As for the donuts,cake,sushi etc well the first time it gets stuck you quickly decide if it's worth it. A lot of us find that our bodies crave things that are better for you- The cravings will come and you will decide what's best for you-good luck!:)

Sushi is a take it or leave it food for me. Cake is a piece of cake to eat!!! And donuts are the one thing, I will voluntarilly never eat again!!!

As Kevin said, once you have an experience with them----your love affair with them changes somewhat!! I ate 2 bites of a glazed donut, it grew in my pouch to the size of 2 dozen donuts, and I was sick for 2 hours before finally PB'ing the wad of dough back up. I do not even want a donut when I smell them anymore!

I am not a huge cake eater, but I did want something that I could have a piece of cake on my grandkids birthdays with them, and I can--without issue, only difference is, a small piece is it now, I do not want half the cake, and I never take any leftovers!!

I eat normal meals, I do not Atkins my life away. I DO adhere to a lot of the diet---from a nutritional point---actually more of a South Beach type. I can only eat a small amount----so with that in mind, and knowing all of my daily nutritional needs must be met with that small amount of food, I do tend to eat my Protein, and veggies first, leaving only a small amount of space for any starchy foods---I choose whole grains----fresh vegetables, better cuts of meat...I eat a lot of spicy foods, I want flavor and punch for the small amount!

I have no issues at all with the food I can eat. I am perfectly able to eat many things that I have no business eating. Therefore I do not eat them everyday---but only on occasion. The difference is the band helps with my hunger, so I don't always want those foods, and limiting your carb and sugar intake lowers the cravings for them....the more you eat of them the more you want.

You will be surprised how your tastes change. Chewing something to the consistancy we need to---allows you--even forces you to really taste things!!! Some foods I used to eat----yuck!!! I took a bite of my granddaughters little Debbie Snack---about the time it was ready to swallow, it realized it felt like I had a mouth full of grease, it felt stuck to my teeth and my tongue, it was beyond nasty!!! I used to eat them all the time!

Healthy tastes good----who woulda thunk it???!!!

Kat

Good luck with your surgery.

You're making a life changing decision. My affair with food is not the same as it used to be. It was hard the first month. But I've stopped thinking of food the way I used to.

I used to look forward to eating. Now, eating is to sustain my health and nutrition. Not something I do when I'm bored or something smells really good. You will do fine.

I've "tried" things I wasn't supposed to try - and I've paid for it in pain & discomfort. You will too. I said I wouldn't - the surgery was too important and lack of self control is what got me to my highest weight.... But, you will try to test the waters.... We all have.

You'll learn quickly - just as quickly you eat the wrong things.

Thank you everyone for all of the great advice, and sharing your own fears with me!

Kevin - I always forget that aspect, thank you for reminding me!

Okay - I'm leaving for my surgery in a couple of hours...happy thoughts everyone!

When I post here again - I'll be a bandster!!

:blushing:

I had my surgery almost a year ago and I eat anything I want! I haven't had shrimp or popcorn but I don't miss them! Just chew your food really well. Cut it on small pieces. Eat slowly and what ever you do go in for a fill within a month. I waited 7 months because I was still losing, not hungry, and felt full. My port flipped over and I have to have more surgery to fix it! I have that on May 8th. But I have lost 107 lbs., so it DOES work! GOOD LUCK! :blushing:

I felt exactly the same way. I was freaked out about everything I was going to have to give up. But, what have I really given up? I eat what I REALLY want. I just do it smart. We went out to dinner tonight, mexican food. I sat and made a choice do I want 5-6 tortilla chhips or the tortilla on my quesidilla? Well, I chose the chhips, so I enjoyed a f ew with the salsa and scraped alll the goodies out of the quesadilla. Totally yummy with out the shell, and I sisn't feel deprived of the whole mexican dinner because I had a couple chips to satisfy the cravings.

Kevin is SO right. Don't forget that all that stuff you are afraid of letting go will not really mean that much to you!There are foods I still like to eat and you have a few bites and you are full AND not deprived AND staying on your program. LIFE IF GOOD when there is a limit like that!!! I used to LOVE sandwiches and can't really them now (like I used to piled high with meats and cheeses and big, fat bread!). Never crosses my mind now as a real food choice for me. Don't miss it and thought I would. Things will really change for you, so GO FOR IT!!! It's all good!

Kevin and Kat made a good point--once a food gets stuck for the first time, you view that food in a whole new perspective!! I tell my hubby it's kind of like the dog they taught to salivate at the ringing of the bell: as soon as I see a food that's gotten "stuck" before, I want to avoid it like the plague!

That being said, my whole life of eating has changed so much: from what I eat to when I eat and the biggest change has been that life will now revolve around YOU. You will be constantly assessing yourself during the day with "Did I get enough water", "Did I get enough Protein in", "Did I take my Vitamin / Calcium today", and it's so-o-o unlike the concentration we had on food prior to surgery, when we only thought "what can I have next that's good to eat??"

We learn daily about this great tool and we adjust to its rules. You, too, will be fine--and next thing you know, you'll be advising the next new batch of bandsters!! :confused: