Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type 2 Diabetes and lap band surgery

I am seriously considering lap band surgery - I have type 2 diabetes that is not controlled and am heading for insulin. I have about 50 pounds to lose. There are studies that show that with that kind of weight loss, many diabetics go off of meds which is my goal. Anyone out there with diabetes? Also, I live in Jacksonville, FL. Anyone out there from Jax or St. Augustine?

Lois

I went off my meds and have no evidence of diabetes at all, since about 40 pounds lost. My osteoporosis also reversed completely. The lap band has been really hard work for me, but I'm so pleased with it!

i have type 2 diabetes and was taking 180 units of insulin daily. i had lap band surgery oct 15. i am down 47 pounds and i am now taking NO medication at all for my diabetes. my endocrinologist told me that in the new york times there was an article that says they are calling the lap band the cure for type 2 diabetes. all the diabetics in my support group are also off all their meds. its not surprising the doctors they are expecting it. i was operated on at montefiore hospital in new york city.

I too was a type 2 diabetic and quit taking my pills as soon as I had the surgery because I knew with the big drop in calories I would have low blood sugars. I just kept track of my sugars. At my 3 month labs my A1c was 6.2. My PCP called and said quit taking the meds. and I told him I hadn't taken it for 3 mos. It is wonderful and it does seem to get rid of the diabetes. Good luck. Kathy

Hi Lois,

I have had Diabetes Type 2 for 10 years. It has been a yo yo of diets to try and loose wait. I am going ahead with the Lap Band, because I heard it helps. No more meds, and lose weight. I can't wait to start my life over. I wish I had done this 10 years ago. I just went to my first seminar, Paperwork is done - not sure when I will be set up for the surgery.

Thanks for the response. I have made my decision and will be heading to Mexico for my surgery on April 6th. Good luck with yours......

Hi Lois. My diabetes is one of the main reasons I want to have the lap band. People keep asking me how much weight I want to lose, and I have no answer for that, because I don't care about the numbers--I want to get off all these meds! I have to take 2 insulin shots a day, and pills. I also have high blood pressure and cholesterol. And I am only 38 years old. I carry around a big bag of meds like a 90 year old woman! LOL

Yesterday, I went to the Eye Dr for the Diabetic Eye Exam - Everything is good - But he started to give me a lecture and told me "all you have to do is lose 60 lbs." People that don't have diabetes just don't realize that is just not that easy. I take a lot of medication too, and I don't want to start insulin, thats why I want to get the lap band. The say it really helps.