Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start gaining weight

I was a skinny kid. Reached my full height of 5'4" in 7th grade and weighed 110 through HS. and collage Weighed 115 when married and had a 23" waist. I actually tried to put on a little weight for my wdg so my colar bones wouldn't stick out (I was self conscious about them) Then I had 6 kids in 10 years. At one time during that time I weighed 100# and had no boobs. At age 32 I started gaining a few # a year and welcomed it untill I got to 132. Then I started to think I might be getting fat so I tried some silly diets and got fatter with each one. At age 40 I quit smoking and gained 40# and went over the 200# mark and got really serious about dieting. Then would lose 10, gain 20, for years. Two years ago my oldest son committed suicide and I ate through my pain and gained another 40# bringing me to my highest of 286. Sorry for the long story, but I've had a long life.

At only 5'2 I feel like I have always been overweight. All of my friends have always been smaller than me and I have aloways been so insecure about myself. I have terrible posture now, and I really think that it has a lot to do with being big and having a bigger chest and always trying to hide myself. I am going to be banded on 3/17 only 1 week!! I am so scared. I go through moments of extreme excitement to why am I doing this. I have to keep reminding myself of the good that I am doing for my body. I lost my dad when he was only 57 to his second stroke, and I absolutely have to do something about the cycle I am on become that person. I haven't posted much, but I am so glad that I found this site I really enjoy baing able to talk to people who are going through all of the same things I am. Good luck to you all!! Amy

I appreciate coming on here because fo the anonimity it gives me. I was very tiny as a small child and when I was 4 or 5 I was molested by a stranger. Of course I never told anyone and proceeded to gain 30 lbs.in 1 year. My mom blamed it on the fact that I had my tonsils out around that time and it must have changed my metabolism. I am 59 and been overweight since that time. Since the band 4 mos.ago I have lost 63 lbs. and for the first time in 53 yrs. I am starting to like me. I wish it had been around 30 yrs ago. I think alot of overweight people have some emotional issues in their past. I never really have talked about this very much. I'm sure therapy would help but I was self pay and just can't afford it now. Just wanted to share my story with people who never judge or sermonize. Good luck to everyone on their journey..... And by the way, Jack, You're great. I think I'm in love with you.

I appreciate coming on here because fo the anonimity it gives me. I was very tiny as a small child and when I was 4 or 5 I was molested by a stranger. Of course I never told anyone and proceeded to gain 30 lbs.in 1 year. My mom blamed it on the fact that I had my tonsils out around that time and it must have changed my metabolism. I am 59 and been overweight since that time. Since the band 4 mos.ago I have lost 63 lbs. and for the first time in 53 yrs. I am starting to like me. I wish it had been around 30 yrs ago. I think alot of overweight people have some emotional issues in their past. I never really have talked about this very much. I'm sure therapy would help but I was self pay and just can't afford it now. Just wanted to share my story with people who never judge or sermonize. Good luck to everyone on their journey..... And by the way, Jack, You're great. I think I'm in love with you.

Zippykat, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. You seem like a very strong person and I'm so glad you are starting to feel better about yourself. 63 lbs is AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing your story, you never know who has gone through the same thing, and reading your story could help someone else. God bless!

i went from being a "normal" 1st grader to the "fat kid" in the 2nd grade....maintained that label until i graduated into the "chubby chick" in highschool.

at 5'2" i remember weighing a size 10/12 my sophmore yr of h/s and going from that to a size 18 my senior yr of h/s (c/o 1997). i still look at pix and wonder why on earth i thought i was so HUGE at a size 10/12...and of course, i know its bc all the kids i went to school with were either bone thin, or "normal"...i knew i wasn't the fattest one in the school...but i didn't fit in to the normal catagory either. i was the "chubby chick" or as some would say, "chubby baby face", etc.

also a pretty FACE...never just a pretty girl.

anyhow, i weighed 236 the day i married (2/27/99) @ age 19 and was by then wearing a size 22.

lost 36lbs (weighing in at 200) 3yrs after i married only to find out several months later i was pregnant. gained back the 36lbs and then continued to yo-yo from 236-250 for the next few yrs.

hit my highest at 264.4, which is what i weighed the day of surgery (9/14/07). now weighing in at 202.5!!! and wearing a size 16!! i haven't been a size 16 since my jr. yr of h/s....over a decade ago!

I FEEL GREAT ON THE INSIDE AND OUT and i cannot wait to lose more and get to my goal bc if losing 62lbs feels this good, i know that losing a total of 100lbs will feel even better.

LAPBAND (self payer) was THE BEST investment i have ever made...for my health, my self esteem, and so much more! i actually am starting to feel like ME, the ME that i wanted to feel like all along but couldn't find ME in all the fat that i hid behind.

I grew up skinny but had a warped sense of self-image and always thought I was fat, just the skinniest in my fat family. I look back at pictures now and wonder what the heck I was thinking that I thought I was fat! I had boyfriends and some who where a lot older and just never thought it was b/c I was cute. Actually, I'm not sure why I thought they were with me.

Anyway, I started gaining after high school. Pretty slowly at first. Got married a year and a half out of HS (at 19) and the activity level dropped and I really started packing on the pounds. I started eating huge portions and with little to no activity it just got worse. I did WW a few years ago and was able to lose about 60lbs but then after a failed in-vitro fertilization and adopting our baby girl, I stopped paying attention to what I was eating. I had no time and no energy to care or even think about planning good food and trying to continue to lose weight. I gained back about 40lbs.

I've since tried to get back on track but have been fooling with the same 10lbs for the last 6 months. My highest documented weight was 250, I could have been a little higher but don't know for sure. I'm currently 233.6lbs after starting a program (at 236lbs) through my insurance for the surgery process.

I've tried lots of diets and lost little and usually gained more. WW was the only one that worked pretty good but as usual, I couldn't keep it off. I also have hormone problems which don't help. My daughter is almost 2 now and I've decided that I've got to do something before she gets much older. I'm tired of being fat, I don't want to be the fat mom when she starts school and I'm embarrassed for my husband when he introduces me to his co-workers.

I'm hoping to be banded sometime this year, depending on how long it takes to get through the rigamarol and the waiting lines w/Kaiser.

So, that's my long, drawn-out story! :purplebananna:

Well, I just turned 27 and I'm short, about 5'4 and have been fat my whole life =) Well that's not true, I was tall in elementary school, grew 6 inches in nine months...

You know what's funny? How fat you think you are and how you don't think it can get any worse, then you graduate college/high school and WISH you could go back to how fat you THOUGHT you were in high school. =)

I was always a thin child. Even through high school, I was thin and VERY attractive. I graduated from high school at 135 lbs. Then college started.... Binge drinking and 3am McDonalds and before I knew it I had gained 100 lbs. Graduated from college weighing 215 lbs, then gained another 35 during the next 2 years as I was struggling in my first job while still doing a lot of binge drinking and eating mac 'n cheese. I often find that high school friends dont even recognize me. I cant wait to be that hottie again!

New to the forums, but trying to jump in on the convo :lol:

I'm 21, and 5'8 -- was always a chubby kid. Weight has always been an issue, and to add to it, I'm adopted and my parents don't know much about my birthparents' medical history.

I was always the tallest kid in grade school, and my parents just figured it was "baby fat". By the time I was in middle school/first couple years of high school, I was up to ~240lbs. The beginning of senior year (2004), I'd hit ~310lbs. I began a serious, strict diet/exercise regimen accompanied by Phentermine, and dropped down to my lowest weight of about 225lbs. in the winter of 2006.

Today, the spring of 2008, I'm at my all-time heaviest; close to 350lbs :'( It's a daily stress for me. The other weekend, my boyfriend and I took a trip down to the coast, and there were about 3 flights of concrete steps heading down to the beach, and then 1/4 of a mile to the coastline. Walking back up, I felt like my legs were about to snap and I was going to pass out.

I still continue to watch what I eat and go out on walks daily, but it's time for a big change. Which is why I'm here, looking into the LB procedure. I'm hoping and praying that this is something that will work for me.

I was always the big kid. I was super tall when I was younger, and had severe asthma. I was put on oral steroids to control it, and that was when my weight got out of control. Unlike a lot of people, I never let my weight get me down. I was teased a lot in middle school (jr. high, whatever :)) until I got into football. That didn't last long, as I was a huge target and constantly had my legs chopped. That led to a severe knee injury that required reconstructive surgery. After that, all the weight I had lost in 3 years of football (40 lbs+) jumped right back on me. As for high school, I loved it. I was, against all "tradition", a popular kid. I won prom king and was cheered at graduation. I am a tall guy (6'4) and I carry my weight (350lbs) quite well, but it's just getting old being the friend instead of the boyfriend. I never struggled in my social life due to my weight, but in my personal life. It has killed me to have crushes on all these girls, and to not have a single one like me back. BUT I'm looking to turn all that around, and reverse my luck.

Edited by drew05