Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about actual surgery

I am very freaked out about actually "going under the knife". I am hoping some of you could shed some insight to the actual procedure starting from the point you walked into the surgical center... do they put you in a gown? Make you count backwards .... please share your exerpiences as I am freaked out by the fact its getting down to the wire on submitting to my insurance. Thanks!

I just had surgery on 2/13. I would assume every hospital is somewhat similar. I checked in was shown my room and given 2 gowns to put on and then I was weighed. After that they tried to run an IV and they fully explained what was to happen next. I was taken down to the surgery room on a guerney and transferred to the operating table where they strapped my arms down and an IV was established. Then I was out. When I awoke I was in recovery, groggy, and then transferred back to my room about an hour later with very little discomfort and I was awake and seeing visitors. Overall I had a very good hospital experience! Ask questions if your not sure whats happening next!

I was picked up at my motel early the morning of my surgery. Taken to the hospital, where I was ask the same questions by about 20 people minimally!!! What was my name--what are we doing to you today---the usual!!!

I was taken from admissions directly to my room. They got me undressed and in a gown, put my hospital bracelets on, did a blood draw, started an IV, the surgeon come in and discussed the band with me again--for the 3rd time! The anesthesioligist come in and ask me if I had any fears, and reassured me all was going to be fine. Then I had about 20 minutes where my DH and I just kinda sat there looking at each other!! Then they come after me! They gave me a surgical cap to tuck my hair up in...helped me put it on. I kissed DH in the room, then they told him he could walk down with me until just when they wheeled me into the OR. So he did. When we got there, they let him give me another kiss---they all made kissy noises and teased us! We rolled into the OR--and everyone was speaking to me--double checking who I was and what we were doing again, then they had me slide from the hospital bed I was in, onto the operating table. My surgeon told me this machine was what he would use to look inside and do the surgery....I was trying to look at it and talk to him, and they put some oxygen on me, and pulled one of my arms out to the side, and hooked me up to a blood pressure cuff. Then he told me he was going to give me a margarita--and he put something in my IV, I got very relaxed, and unable to really form words....almost out, then he said he was going to give me a 2nd margarita, and said "night night mija"....and that was all I remember!!! I woke up it seemed like seconds later, groggy and they kept telling me I was fine the surgery went well, and I would doze off, and they would wake me up again---pretty soon they kept telling me to breath deep----and as soon as I did that, I went ahead and woke up ok. Within an hour, I was not only back in my room, but getting up and ready to walk---not long after that I was walking every chance I got. I had no gas issues. The surgery was an easy one----nothing like others I have had.

If that didn't answer what you wanted to know--let me know!!!

Hang in there, it is not nearly as traumatic as I bet you are imagining it!!

Kat

Thanks for replying! I have a mild panic disorder so knowing about what Im getting into helps. Anesthesia scares me. Its the "what if I dont wake up" thing.

I think it scares most people---but the stats are sooooo good!!! Try to enjoy the fuzzy....relaxing buzz, as you fade out, and wake up in a new land....band land!!!

Kat

I had band on 2/13 and pretty much the same experience as the others. My only difference is they had to do a hiatal hernia repair so I was on the table for 5 hours. When I woke up my back was just excruciating but it was under control in a couple of hours. The first couple of days weren't so bad, and each day i'm getting back to my old self, I just have terrible gas, and that is something that no one warned me about, but apparently is pretty common.

Good luck to you!

I got to the hospital around 5:30, they checked me, weighed me, gave me a pregnancy test and started an IV. There was a blizzard that day so many people called and cancelled their surgeries, so I was the only one in the room. Several of the staff were running late and my own surgeon called to see if I had shown up, so there was lots of joking while I waited. They then gave me an injection of heparin in my stomach, and also gave me some anti-nausea medicine and antibiotics via the IV. They also put a patch behind my ear to help with nausea. I went through 2 bags of IV Fluid, and actually had to go to the bathroom before surgery. The nurse-anthesiolgist came out and talked with me, the surgeon came and talked with me. I also had a friend there who kept me company. Finally around 7:30 they wheeled me into surgerical suite and gave me a shot ... after that, lights out. I woke up in the recovery room asking for my glasses. I was back in the hospital room and on the phone with my parents by 10:30. I was also very anxious about this part and it turned out to be pretty easy.

I'm 2 weeks post-op today and had a similar experience. I don't have anymore pain and will return to work tomorrow. Lost 22 pounds on the post-op diet and I've had restriction and feel full when I eat. Good luck!

Hello there, I am new to this site a lady I met today told me about it and I love it much better than other sites they argue too much and I need information not manage a boxing match. Well, I myself feel like you do. I am very anxious about being put to sleep. Hey, imagine this I work in healthcare. Well, it ain't working for me right now. I had surgery about 12 yrs ago and I was in so much pain at that time I really don't think I remembered being scared or anything else. My surgery is this Wed 2/20 and I am so excited and scared all rolled into one. Good luck with yours!!!!

My surgery was scheduled for 8:30, but I was asked to get to the hospital two hours a head of time. So, I got there at 6:30 a.m. and went to the admissions office, where they processed my paperwork. Then I was taken to a room and asked to put on a gown and cap. While waiting for them to pick me up, I had an EKG (because I have a heart arrythmia) and the nurse went over EVERYTHING with me. Then I was wheeled to the pre-op room and my husband accompanied me. That's when the anesthesiologist introduced himself and we talked about the procedure and pain management/nausea concerns. He started an IV in my hand (didn't hurt at all) and he gave me several anti-nausea medications and antibiotics. Then my surgeon showed up and other nurses came in to ask me who I was and why was I there. I must have been asked that question at least a dozen times. The anesth. then gave me a mild sedative, I said goodbye to my husband (while trying not to cry) and I was wheeled into the operating room. They put a blood pressure cuff on my arm and put massaging cuffs on my legs to prevent clots. I was pretty relaxed at this point and I remember them giving me oxygen through a mask and telling me that I was going to go to sleep.

A few seconds later, I felt myself being moved over to another gurney, and that's because the procedure was over. I also remember them telling me that the surgery was over. Then I must have been in the recovery and I remember taking my oxygen mask off because I had a bad taste in my mouth. They put it back on me and told me it was because of the anesthesia. I asked for more anti-nausea meds and they gave them to me, and I just kept drifting in and out of sleep. I remember thinking that I should hurry up and wake up so I can go home -- almost as if I was taking up too much time, but they let me sleep in recovery and didn't rush me at all. One issue was that my oxygen saturation was kind of low, so they kept telling me to take deeper breaths. After about two hours in recovery, I was moved to another room where I met up with my husband and again kept drifting in and out of sleep. I was given Water to sip and then eventually juice. About an hour later, I got up and walked to the bathroom, and then told the nurse I was ready to go home.

The worst part of the experience was the bad taste in my mouth. I tend to be a little claustrophobic, so the oxygen mask was bugging me, but then they eventually gave me a canula, which was a lot better. I wasn't in a lot of pain at all. I only took liquid tylenol, and that was only for two days after the surgery.

Now, everything is great and there have been no complications. I'm so happy I had it done. I know you must be very nervous, and it's normal. There's nothing that we can say here that will take all of your nerves away -- that's just the nature of having a surgery! But it is a fairly non-invasive and quick procedure. I was told that most complications don't happen during the surgery. The best thing that you can do is to feel completely comfortable with your surgeon and ask a lot of questions. The more you know, the less mystery to make you nervous.

If you have any questions, PM me!

Take care!

I had my surgery the same day as tink128. The only thing that was different for me was that I had a very vivid dream before I woke up in the recovery room. I am getting over the surgery very well, much better than I thought.

My surgeon installed my band with nothing in it, as per Allergan's recommendations, so I have no restriction at all yet, just a little swelling that the radiologist saw at my swallow test. I was tickled pink that the surgical resident who checked up on me afterwards said I could sleep on either side. I was thinking I'd have to sleep on my back for weeks so I'm a happy camper.

Mike

Trust in your doctors. Anesthesia is scary but it is rare that there are problems. You go in they give you your IV and go over medical history - again. You may have to wait your turn. I went in, got on my gown, they put in IV and I waited and talked to the nurses. Doc went over procedure. I walked into surgery room and got on table. They put my arms out and said they were going to give me my meds and next thing I know I had a woman ask me if I was able to wake up. I said yes and next thing I knew I was in my room. Surgery was 45 mins and it felt like 2 seconds. It is like closing and opening your eyes. IF you are uncomfortable or need pain meds - ask. They will help you. Just stay calm and ask for help when needed and you will get it. The thing is to be patient and calm. Remember, your docs did all kinds of testing and made sure you were right for this surgery. You will be fine and before you know it, you will be 2 weeks post up. It goes that fast. Take care and I wish you the best.:(

Dogluvr, I am a nurse and I was worried that by having surgery I would be setting myself up for a heap of other problems. That, and the fact I was sure I was going to get every potential complication known to man!

I just kept reminding myself that statistically the laparascopic placement of a gastric band is a very safe procedure.

Remind yourself of why you want to have this done, you are young and can have many years of good health ahead. Being younger you have less risk of postop complications as well.

My preop procedure was much as others have described, I also was put in compression stockings to help prevent blood clots and paper undies (they are very sexy-not!)

Be prepared to answer the same questions many times (I was actually reassured by this).

If you feel you will be excessively anxious discuss this with your doctor because they can sometimes give a mild premed to calm your nerves.

During the actual operation you will be very carefully monitored by the anaethetist and nurses to ensure your good health. The time from when you go to sleep and wake up feels like a second. You will wake up with the IV in and you may have an oxygen mask on. The nurses will take your BP etc often in the immediate postop period. Some people go to ICU overnight, depends on your doctor and your comorbidities.

After that its just rest, pain relief and adjusting to your new life.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Keri

I had my sugery 1/9/08. It was pretty much like everyone said. Checked in. weighed. To pre-op room. Into the gown. IV. And wait. And wait. Surgery was delayed by previous surgery. As If I wasn't nervous enough. I was an hour and a half behind schedule. Aesthesia came in and talked to me. Surgeon came in and talked to me and then anesthesia again. But this time he came in with a gift...VERSED. Hello...relaxation. Wheeled to the O.R.. Looking up at ceiling, I said, "Hey you have more lights than we do where I work. How many do you have?" They answered "2". I said, "Oh that's how many we have." And everyone laughed at me. And then, it seems like no time at all, and they were waking me up in recovery.

When I woke up a had a sore throat and kept looking around for that cat they have that took a crap in my mouth. HA! My back hurt, so I told the nurse,"Dorcus, I'm hurting" She looked at me kind of funny and went and got some morphine. And I asked her for my glasses. Then I saw that her name was Debbie. I apollogized and asked if there was somebody named Dorcus? "Honey, that was the secretary that checked you in this morning". Well, at least I'm not crazy. That versed is some funny stuff. Make sure you ask for something if your anxious, it does help!! GOod Luck!!!

Hi everyone,

Im scheduled for surgery on April 9, 2008 and im very excited. But I do worry that after my surgery, when i notice that i can't eat the foods that i usually crave if im going to regret getting it done in the first place. Is that a normal feeling??