Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sure there are many people that have traveled to Mexico for band surgery but have also heard some bad story's.

No port's infections no post op care

But have also heard wonderful storys about Exellent care.

I want to make sure I get the excellent part. can anyone share some names...

There are several places to search out Dr.s in Mexico and research them. It is vitally important to research any Dr....and in my opinion especially if you are considering going out of the US for surgery. As you do lose the ability to litigate a botched surgery. I would find a Dr. who had done numerous surgeries, and one who would give you the time to ask all your questions, one who allows you to speak with former patients. When it comes to advertising, it is a toss---you want someone who is not afraid to put their name out there, as well as their credentials....but beware of those who plant office staff in forums such as these....and advertise the lowest imaginable price.

WasABubbleButt (another LBT member) had an awesome thread about researching Mexican Dr.s. If you can find one of her posts, then the link is at the bottom I believe.

She did use a Mexican Dr. I did as well. In fact we used the same Dr! But that is not to say there are no other good Dr.s.

In my case I used Dr. Alberto Aceves, in Mexicali, MX. His link is at the bottom of the homepage, as Mexicali Bariatrics.

My experience was wonderful. I felt like I received very good care, in immaculate surroundings. My band has been highly successful---I only wish I had done it sooner! Wish it had been available years and years ago!

Welcome to LBT--Read all you can, research lots----ask lots of questions---be informed!!

Good Luck!

Kat

I used Dr. Ortiz and have been happy with my results. Many people have complained about the lack of follow-up care. I would have to agree to the extent that they don't call you. YOU have to call them. I have always found them helpful and available when I needed them. But, also, I live in the San Diego area so it is a 20-30 minute drive to Tijuana. If you live further away, you should secure follow-up care in your area prior to surgery. Mine cost $8500. Port infections happen to plenty of people regardless of where the surgery takes place. I'm not saying there is no risk in Mexico, but the same risks exist around the world. Check out WASA's thread and call the docs yourself. But beware of surgery coordinators who will try to convince you that their doc is perfect! Best of luck!

Dont want to make it seem like we're ganging up but i also was banded by Dr Aceves in Mexicali. The follow up has been as fantastic an experience as the surgery itself was. There are a number of good Drs in Mexico as well as some bad ones. the same is equally true here in the US. I am fond of saying that I have never been in a hopital in the US of the caliber of the one I was in in Mexico. You are on the right track, You need to keep researching and take every opportunity you can to talk to people that have been banded and cehck out thier experiences. Best of luck to you.

I went to Dr. Jose Rodriques. He was awesome!! The Hosptales Angeles was brand new like a four star hotel. Right outside El Paso. Go to Be lite weight web site. I loved all of my staff. It was the best hospital experience I've ever had!! I'm so happy with my choice paid 7,500. Good luck email me if you want more info.

Speaking of "patient coordinators" aka shills, one way to figure out if someone is a "plant" from a surgeon's office is to look at how many posts they have and to see what their previous posts have been about. If they are all on the theme of "my doctor's the best!" then I would beware what they say . If they have been around here for quite a while and have a history with the forum that indicates they are truly bandsters without an agenda, then their doctor opinions may be more trustworthy.

Surgery in Mexico is a great way to go, but like Kat817 said, you do lose the ability to litigate if things go bad.

I used Dr Rumbuat and really liked him, there are several others around tj, Mexico who also sound good.

I can't emphasize enough the need to prearrange after care. I'm having some complications, and I am so grateful that I have access to local doctors instead of traveling 2000 miles back to TJ. The follow up is actually more important than the surgery itself IMHO.

I used Dr. Lopez Corvala in Tijuana, and went through beliteweight. I had my after care set up before I had it done. I had decided I wouldn't go unless I had it set up. I had heard that aftercare wasn't the best with out of states doctors. I have received support from beliteweight, they have a forum and they send emails checking on me. The nutrionist emailed me from the hospital too. Overall I am happy. I got the tool I needed and my aftercare is in good hands too.

Dr. Aceves spoke with my Dr. here in the states I am using for fills---when he found out he was still 6 hours away, he wanted me to find a local Dr. who would be willing to unfill in an emergency. He spoke with both Dr.'s before we proceeded with the surgical plans.

It is true----plan your follow up care ----with great care!!!

A quality Dr. will help you set this up.

Kat

Pay a little extra money and get it done in the states, you will find follow up care very difficult if you have the surgery done in Mexico, and if you then develop complications as a result of your surgery, most insurances won't cover the cost of those complications if you had your surgery done in Mexico. It really can lead to other problems.. Get it done in the states...

Pay a little extra money and get it done in the states, you will find follow up care very difficult if you have the surgery done in Mexico, and if you then develop complications as a result of your surgery, most insurances won't cover the cost of those complications if you had your surgery done in Mexico. It really can lead to other problems.. Get it done in the states...

Perhaps the center this poster works at doing fills does not deal with patients banded in Mexico--however,many do. I have not had any complications from my band, but my insurance paid for my scope test to look at it, and assure me it was still in proper placement, and healthy. I thought it was something I wanted to do after the first year passed---insurance never balked. I have BCBS of TX.

My SIL, who was banded the same time I was, in Mexico--thought she had slipped her band during a bout with food poisoning---they checked hers, with different insurance--without issue. She has Cigna.

Convenience does dictate it many cases it will be simpler to have surgery in the US. However if you travel several hundred miles to have a more affordable surgery in the states, it is still no guarantee a more local Dr. will handle your aftercare. That is something of vital importance to settle prior to surgery!!!

I do not work for my surgeon. I do not work for any medical facility. Nor do I receive anything from any medical facility for stating my experience and/or beliefs of this surgery. I am un biased in the US vs. MX--------the original poster ask specifically for stories from bandsters who were done in Mexico, so I responded. I did not come here to lure her to another Dr.--the OP ask a question, and I answered it.

If you are considering Mexico, then this might be a question to take up with your insurance company. But do not forget you do have laws governing insurance to protect you as well.

Kat

After care is indeed an important consideration. I live several hundred miles from a fill Dr of any kind. I have found it more convenient, and actually cheaper, to return to Mexico for my fills and follow up. I am confident that in an emergency the local Drs would do what is necessary. My daughter lived in Haweaii until a week ago. She had problems with fills and unfills. She had to have 2 emergency unfills and had endoscopy to look for erosion etc. Her insurance company paid for this even though she was banded in Mexico. They would not, however, pay for her to be refilled. She will be gong back to Mexico for further help. I personally, and I do mean personally, am more comfortable having my Dr in Mexico do the work. I feel that he is taking a much more personal interest in me. Just my opinion. BTW, although my "join" date shows as recent you can see by the other dates that I have been banded for 2 years. I lost my ID on this board and had to re-register. I am not a shill and I am not a patient coordinator. I AM a banded person interested in helping other banded people and potential banded people. These support groups have been VERY helpful to me over the last two years and its time to pay it forward.

I've only heard of one horror story. I've heard more than a dozen from patients from US docs. More US docs are being trained to catch up with the rest of the world, as the device hasn't been on the market here that long.

You'll find many patients who chose to go to Mexico or elsewhere. I was one of them.

Good luck!

I also had my banding surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr Lopez Corvala. My surgery was done 2/8/08 and at the Hospitales Angeles in Tijuana. Dr Corvala and his assistants were super helpful. They truely want you to suceed.

The ONLY complaint I have is really partly my fault. I felt like a complete outsider at the hospital because about 99% of the nurses and staff speak only spanish. I speak about 10 words of spanish. I felt it a little uncomfortable when a nurse would come into my room and inject my iv with a Fluid but could not communicate to me what it was for. Like I said, I knew I was going to Mexico, I should've brushed up on the espanol.

Luckily I have a doc about 45 mins away that has gladly accepted me for my aftercare. My insurance is nill and he understands peoples reasons for going to Mexico due to costs.

Good luck with your journey and research. I know word of mouth is the best advertising, I would go to Dr Corvala again in a heartbeat.

Good luck!:)