Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Traps

I At Subway I order a cup of brocilli cheese Soup.

I had no idea that subway served soup! I used to love subway and I haven't been there since being banded. My husband loves it too and we never go because I didn't think there was anything I can eat. I know they serve salads, but I'm not a huge salad fan and I'm a little scared to eat lettuce. I've heard a lot of people say they can't eat it. I'll have to try salad at home first! I will definitely be willing to go now since I know they serve soup! Thnaks for sharing!

Hah me too, when I found out they had Soup, I hit every one in both cities I frequent (work/home). None of them offer soup. And the make-it-into-a-salad thing.. we don't have either. Sounded all good in theory though.

I always looks up some stuff at restaurants (especially in the beginning when I was tracking food), to get an idea of their calorie portions. I've tapered off on that, simply because the little amount I can eat, I don't worry about the calories.

Personally.... I wouldn't set foot in an IHOP, Dunking Donuts or a Baskin Robbins now that I'm banded. I spent to much money to get healthy. why risk the obvious temptation? As for the others, I can only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of an entree at a restaurant. If it's touted as 500 calories, then I figure I'm fine. TGIFriday's has a low fat/low calorie menu with quite a few choices. Other restaurants, I just order what I CAN eat prepared in the best way possible. For example. meat with sauce on the side instead of swimming in it. I avoid Pasta meals if possible. I only get steamed veggies. No hollandaise or garlic butter.... If they offer to bring bread, I refuse it. I get my Salad Dressing on the side as well, so I can control how much goes on my salad. The ONLY desert I will consider is fresh fruit. I order broiled or roasted instead of fried. I'm usually a pain in the butt at a restaurant, but I always tip my waitperson well for the aggravation.... LOL

Since my band doesn't let me eat more than a quarter of any restaurant meal, I have to admit I don't worry about the calories much anymore.

I'm with you snowbird. I don't even order a meal for myself anymore. I take portions from my hubby or son, I just ask for another plate. What I take from them isn't really significant. And if they're still hungry, they'll order desert.

When I even consider ordering something for myself, I know it's time for a fill. :)

It Is A Challenge To Eat Out And Stay On Track, However, I Find That If I Take The Kids To Mcdonalds or Burgerking They Both Have A Side salad That Is Only 15-20 Calories Before Dressing. They Also Both Offer Light Italian Which Is Around 60-90 Calories And I Get A Four Piece chicken Nugget Or Chicken Tenders And They Are 170 Calories. Mix All Together And You Are Still Low On Calories And Have More Than Enough Food!!! Also At Taco Bell The Pintos And cheese Are Very Filling And Keeps The Calories In Check... If I Have Any Questions Usualy Chili Or Some Kind Of Chicken Or Fish (small Portion Will Cover Me For The Meal)...We Can Do This By Just Making The Right Decisions And Being Very Careful. I Have Already Gotten Used To Looking For Certain Things On Menus And It Just Feels Normal!!! It Is So Worth It!!! 10cc Band With Only 2cc In It, Some Restrictions But Not Alot!

sfeiner.... cheddar cheese Soup on fitday shows it has 20% fat (about the amount we need in our total diet for balanced health) but it also has 20% Protein (which we need, of course)....one cup has about 265 calories - not bad for a meal. So when we're out and need a 'safe' meal to eat in public without worrying about getting stuck, guess the soup is a pretty good choice.

Hi, My Dr. told me a disturbing fact....Guess what Mc Donalds product has more sodium than anything else on the menu?? Fries, too easy,????? their shakes !!!! :grouphug: They are 1/2 foam 1/3 sugars and flavorings and the rest is sodium. :thumbup: This is something to watch out for it is hidden in a lot of foods you would not think of. So become a label reader. Stay a little healthier !:) Peg

I found a wonderful Soup on all recipes.com you can find all types of good things there and tweek them as needed. This may cure your hunger for the soup you can't find. Broccoli cheese soup

1/2 cup butter ( i use pam or spray margarine)

it's just to brown the onion in.

1 chopped onion

1 16 oz. package chopped frozen broccoli (more or less)

4 cans (14.5oz.) chicken broth (use low sodium)

1 1lb. loaf Velveeta cheese ( can use low fat) cubed

2 cups skim milk

1 Tablespoon garlic powder

2/3 cup Cornstarch

Can leave out if you like a thin soup

1 cup Water

Melt butter in skillet, cook onion till softened,stir in broccoli,cover with broth,Simmer till broccoli is tender,about 10mins.Reduce heat and stir in cheese until melted mix in milk and garlic powder. In a small bowl mix cornstarch and water until dissolved stir into soup stirring often until thickened. Makes 12 serv. cals.272( with full cal. Velveeta) fat 18.8g

cholesterol 48mg,sodium 1140mg,carbs. 14.8,fiber 1.2g pro. 11.1g

You can alter this a little without changing the taste. It worth a try.:tt2: Enjoy! Peg

For my first visit to the Bariatric Surgeon I was given a book titled "Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter" by the Calorie King. In it is a section for Resturants and food Chains. In it lists most menu items and gives you the Calories, Fat and Carbs.

Most people associate Big Mac's as being the absolute worst menu item at Mickey D's (calories-540, fat-29, carbs-45). Not true, there are quite a few items worse calorie wise. How many people would have thought from a calorie and carb standpoint that a Grilled chicken Club is worse for you (calories-570, fat-21, carbs-52)?

It has been a definate eye opener. It tells you what is the best choice at plenty of resturants nationwide.

This is a must read for anyone trying to limit the intake of carbs, fat, calories, Protein or sodium.

To be honest with you, when I want to treat myself to a meal out at a restaurant, the last place that comes to mind is McD's or Taco Bell or any of those types of chains. I don't consider them restaurants, I consider them fast fat outlets. :smile2:

Frustrated I agree. The point I was trying to make is most of us don't really know what is the right thing to eat when out in resturants.

I used McD's because everyone knows it is a grease trap. But most would think when given a choice between a Big Mac and a chicken sandwich, the chicken would be the healthy choice. Not true.

I guarantee the book I mentioned will open your eyes when comparing things you thought were healthy to what actually is healthy.