Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Traps

The following is a few cuts from an article written on the website "Web MD" regarding "Restaurant Traps." Eating out can be a challenge those of us who eat bariatric style......restaurants don't make it easy, do they.........

:ohmy:Applebee's doesn't want you to know:That many of its "low-fat" items have more than 500 calories. (In fact, its low-fat chicken quesadillas have 742 calories and 90 grams of carbohydrates per order.)

:eek:IHOP doesn't want you to know:That its Omelette Feast has 1,335 calories and 35 grams of saturated fat. (By the time you finish eating this behemoth Breakfast, you'll have consumed 150 percent of your daily fat requirement and 300 percent of your suggested cholesterol intake.) Said IHOP's director of communications, "We do not maintain nutritional data on our menu items, so I am unable to assist you."

:unsure:Dunkin' Donuts doesn't want you to know:That each of its medium-size fruit-and-yogurt smoothies packs at least 60 grams of sugar—more than four times the sugar in a chocolate-frosted cake doughnut. The fruit purees used in the smoothies are mixed with liberal doses of sugar and/or high-fructose corn Syrup.< /span>

:blink:Baskin-Robbins doesn't want you to know:That, unlike Jamba Juice's all-fruit smoothies, the top four ingredients in its Blue Raspberry Fruit Blast are Sierra Mist soda, Water, sugar, and corn syrup.

:scared2:Maggiano's Little Italy doesn't want you to know:Just how many calories and carbs you're consuming in those massive Pasta portions. (As the menu puts it, "Family-style service or individual Entrees are available...Whichever you choose, you'll have plenty to share or take home.") In Italy, a standard Pasta serving means 4 ounces of noodles with a few tablespoons of sauce. At Maggiano's, a large order of pasta translates into 2 pounds of noodles piled high on a hubcap-size dinner plate (15 1/2 inches in diameter)

Holy smokes!! This is a good reason for looking up restaurant nutritional data online before going out and choosing what you will eat ahead of time!

Yup, it is UNREAL the amount of calories in restaurant food- On days when I have to run errands during my lunch break I just wound up purchasing a lean cuisine while out and heating it up back at the office- There is nearly NOTHING under 300-400 calories that I've found that is band friendly..

On days when I do eat out I try to save the calories for that special occasion. Its insane the caloric count in eating out. And pre- band I usually ate out once a day- sometimes more- no darn wonder I'm fat.

Man that sucks about Apple Bees it was one of the only restaurants I felt comfortable going to because they have the calorie counts on the weight watchers menu items.

I find that my safest order most places is shrimp (from the appetizer menu)..... battered and fried, 4 medium shrimp are about 100 calories - boiled or steamed is much less - and they are pure Protein (my husband will order Soup instead of a salad and I eat it if it's something 'legal'.)

At a Mexican food place I'll order guacamole and a couple of beef tacos - then I just eat the insides of the taco. At Subway I order a cup of brocilli cheese soup. At a hamburger place I order a small hamburger and just eat the insides with a fork or, if available, a cup of chili. At a buffet, I'll get tuna or chicken salad, olives, pickles, cheese slices, soup, etc. I never cheat (well, I might taste of hubby's baked potato or ice cream) and I've never left anywhere hungry! We can do this!!:wink_smile:

Since my band doesn't let me eat more than a quarter of any restaurant meal, I have to admit I don't worry about the calories much anymore.

snowbird......I agree - I don't worry about calories - no more than we can hold as long as we are eating healthy and putting Protein and good carbs first and ignoring the Desserts there is no way we are going to eat too many calories. That's the beauty of the band and brain working together!:)

I've been baffled most recently by the big signs at Quizno's that say their new Sammies are $2 and 200 calories. The menu, however, and their online nutrition guide states that each of the four types has around 300 calories. They're still a good choice for me when I haven't made my usual bento box lunch. I eat the insides and about half the bread and it's a filling meal. But why the discrepancy between the large font ad and small font menu? I asked but the worker was uninformed - I think I'll write Quizno's and ask.

The average "entree" at most restaurants is enough to serve 3.6 people.

Low-carb usually means high-fat. You just won't find many items that are low in both, outside of liquids.

I had an interesting meeting with a dietician once. She told me that the Applebee's caesar salad (may not even be there now, this was about 6 yrs ago) had more fat in it than 3 sticks of butter, and more calories than an entire pie.

their website lists all less than 200 except the italian, BEFORE adding dressing or cheese. 2 are less than 200 even with the dressing and cheese. main page for website advertises 2 for under 200 calories.

Wow I am totally disgusted! I have a book called "Eat This, Not That" and it does this sort of thing but, by comparing menu choices and like items. Its pretty eyeopening.

When I eat out I don't typically worry about the calories or fat actually. I just make sure it's a high Protein item. I don't really eat that much of the meal for it to be too damaging. I usually only eat the protein, skip the carb (the potato or pasta) and nibble on a little salad. It's scary how we've become accustomed to such enormous portions though.

their website lists all less than 200 except the italian, BEFORE adding dressing or cheese. 2 are less than 200 even with the dressing and cheese. main page for website advertises 2 for under 200 calories.
Thanks, I just looked again and realized that the two sandwiches they were advertising as 200cal are not yet on the menu at my local restaurant, though similar sounding sammies are. The menu just has the four others, and those are listed around 300 cal. Good to know that substituting the regular dressing for fat free would save me 10+ grams of fat. I probably won't bother switching out unless going there becomes a regular thing, though. Thanks for helping me figure it out :-)

A friend of mine just picked up a book called Eat This, Not That. It looks like it addresses these same issues.

Just an FYI...

Catten