Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone.. I am sched for Surgery March 7th! yeaaah

I was wondering how long the "general" recovery time was for everyone.

I am having the surgery on Friday and was wondering if it was unrealistic to expect to be at work on Monday??

~Destynee~:mad:

I was amazed at how fast I recovered. I took 2 weeks off after my surgery. I needed a break and I have a very stressful job. I wanted to do it right. You might feel weak as you will only being on clear fluids for the first few days. Good Luck!

I think that going back to work on Monday is unrealistic . If you drive to work you will need to give yourself some time to recover. You may think that driving is easy and no big deal but it is. It took me about two weeks to return to

the office and I only work part time. Check with your doctor and just remember

slow and easy is the way to go. Good luck.

Jessiegirl

I took a week off. I had surgery last Friday and am planning on going back to work on Monday. I am a physical therapist so lifting is a big part of my job and the Doctor told me to only lift up to 5 lbs. the first week after and add 5# every week. Hope that helps. However, another girl that had surgery the same day as me went back to work on Monday. She has a desk job though.

Everyone is different. My best friend had her band done on a Monday, and THAT WED. we were on our way down to Atlantic City for two nights, and SHE drove both ways. I am curious to see how I will do, scheduled for banding tomorrow!

I was banded on a Friday and worked a half day on Monday, then back full time on Tuesday. I have a short commute (5 minutes) and a desk job so that helped, but also a lot of work stress and client meetings so when I am at work, I am "on". I'd say follow your body. Good luck.

i could only take a week off, i was barely ready to go back- i had no one to help me with my bags so i had to lift them, i drive a stick shift with a tight suspension and that was rough after one week. I made it, but it was pretty rough, I felt so sick the second day they were a little irritated with me b/c i wasnt volunteering to do extra work, but I didnt tell anyone at work so that was that. I am 5 weeks post op and just now starting to feel nearly 100%. I also had a hernia repair so I am not sure how much that impacts the surgery.

Everyone is really different. I had my surgery on Thursday (also had a hernia repair). I went to a get together at a friend's house on Saturday night and while I just sat on the couch, I was done after a couple of hours and went home. If I had HAD to go back to work on Monday I could have but I would have still been quite tender and not real clear headed. Tuesday would have been better. Today I am ten days post op and almost completely back to normal. I am doing house and yard work, riding my motorcycle, playing with my dog, etc. I sometimes get a little soreness in my neck/shoulder if I overdo it (that's from the hernia repair) but otherwise I'm doing great!.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know how you will react but it appears the average is about four to five days. Some can do it sooner, others later.

I went back to work after a week and a half and I think I could have used a few more days. I think it's doable after a few days if you have a desk job, but not recommended.

I wouldn't recommend going back while you are still on liquids. It sucked having to smell all the food my co-workers were eating at their desks while I was still sipping on chicken broth.< /p>

I took one week, but then had unforseen complications, like a reaction to the anethesia, dry heaved; and a latex allergy. Had no indication BEFORE surgery that my recovery would be so hard. I had always healed fast from any other kind of malady. In the end, I should have taken two weeks.

Everyone is different, but even if you know your body, this is major surgery and sometimes when you think you can do it, your body doesn't let you.

I had my surgery this past Wednesday, Feb 14th and I'm back at work today Monday, Feb 18th. I probably could have gone back to work Friday but I'm glad I took the days off. I feel fine, I'm a "little" sore...to be honest I have more pain with menstrual cramps than this surgery. The gas after surgery was the only really uncomfortable part. But that went away by Saturday and I'm good now. Now I just keep telling myself that I have to get through the next few weeks of food restrictions. I would be lying if I said it was easy. I feel fine so I want to eat. I just keep sipping my Water all day and drinking my Soups. I also have fallen in love with SF popsicles! They make me feel like I'm actually eating. Good Luck!!

Alison

Banded 2-13-08 (Happy Valentines Day to Me!)

I had two weeks off from school and then went back to teaching....but, it's taken almost two months for me to be able to bend over or roll over in bed without pain. Everyone's different.

Not sure if this was mentioned -- but you need to consider the pain meds you're on.

Can you drive a car while on Percocet? I would certainly not. Can you function at work on that medicine? I had surgery on Thursday, and it was REALLY TOUGH being back on Monday (I take public transportation). I ended up leaving a few hours early. If you can switch over to Tylenol by Monday, you should be fine. Clear everything else off the calendar though for the first 3 weeks. Energy will be really low too for the first 3 weeks, and work is likely all you'll have the energy for at that time.

Let your body heal and don't push it too much.

I was hoping to only take a day or two off, NOT!! I had my surgery on Jan 23rd and couldn't get out of the house until Saturday and only for a short time. I was thinking I am pretty young and should recover fast. You are going to be sore. And I had dirareah and leg cramps and it takes adjusting with the liquid diet. I wanted to rest. I am glad I was able to take more time off. :tongue2: