Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

27 and getting started

Hey all!

Thought I should stop into area and say hi! I'm still in the beginning stages of this little journey. I have a LOT to lose, but I'm optimistic I can get where I need to be. My insurance does cover LB, but I have the 6 month supervised diet thing to do first.. can't actually do that until my insurance kicks in though. Grr.

So for now I'm doing Weight Watchers online just so I can start changing my eating habits. Doing well so far, though point counting makes me a little nutso.

Anyway, for you other 20's out there - what has your experience been with the band? Would you do it all over again? What would you do different??

Congrats on getting started! I'm 28 and was banded back in September. I started my journey at 330 and am down to about 273-274ish. I wish I would have started sooner...but am glad that I'm making this change now! I have a little under 100 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight. I have high hopes in reaching that by the end of the year, but I'm not going to over-do anything. If it happens, it does....if not, i'll be soon!

My insurance doesn't accept WW journals as proof of a 6m medically supervised diet. I did ww online. i lost 7 pound sand then gained back 12... i had a lot of trouble sticking to the program.

I started my 6m of medically supervised dieting 4 months ago. I am hoping to be approved for banding in march.

hi! I'm 27 years old.

My journey started a year ago, actually. Well, 13 months ago. I was operated on on January 17th, 2007. The funny part about the whole thing was that after reading up on it so much, I really didn't expect such great results, and I'm still in shock, I suppose. Pre-surgery, I was 300 lbs. A year later, I've lost 110 pounds "ish" and I am now 190 lbs. I still have about 40 pounds to lose and I have tons of loose skin, but I fit into size 12 jeans and its so worth it. When I first got the band, the weight loss was slow and I was starting to regret it, but after a couple of months of fills, it started falling off. I'm so glad I got it now. My moral is better, my self confidence is up, I don't feel like I'm stared at all the time in public, I don't feel like I'm taking up so much space (eg. bus/metro), and I feel....like a female again. Life changes so much. For anyone thinking about doing it, DO IT. I feel so good now. Imagine 40 pounds down the road? I wouldn't wish the way I felt when I was 300 on anyone....

Take care :]

Hi! Congratulations on getting started with the Lap Band. I'm also 27 and I was banded on 2/6. I'm down 18 lbs. right now, since the beginning of my 10-day pre-op diet. I still have a long journey ahead, but what incentive!! I think part of it is psychological, but I'm never hungry!! I've not had a fill yet...I get my first fill on 3/10. I cannot wait!! You guys--I'm seriously so excited about this life change I'm making -- and so happy I'm making it in my 20's so I can really enjoy the rest of my life and not hold back because of my weight!! It's great having LBT to talk with others that are going through the same thing. :wub:

Wow! Thanks for the great welcome, everyone! I'm glad to know there are folks out there my age that are facing the same challenges. It really, really helps.

FireDust - I got banded at 27...I just turned 28. It's great to be able to nip this in the bud now while (IMO) it's a little bit easier to lose the weight. My goal is to lose 103 lbs total. I started at 233. I'm almost halfway there! This band has been the best decision I have made in my life. I love that the weight goes and STAYS off even when I have an "off" day.

You can do this! We're all well on our way to a healthier life!

Well I am pretty new to this forum and I enjoy reading everyones comments so i decided to write on here. I am 28yr old Female and I started my pre-op diet on 2/20/08. It has been 3 days and I actually feel pretty good. I haven't been that hungry but when I am at work I don't have time to think about it. Today is Saturday and being home is hard. I am going to go out shopping with a friend so that I am not bored and wanting to eat.

My wt on 2/18/08 at the doctors office was 294. My goal wt is around 170 so I have a little over 100lbs to lose. I have my surgery on 3/5/08 and I am so excited but yet nervous. I have been big pretty much all my life and to imagine myself smaller is scary.

I look forward to my new journey of wt loss and wish everyone on here the best of luck. We can all do it with each others support.

Hey FireDust!

I am 27 years old and I was banded 9-20-07. I have lost 69 lbs so far, I think I've finally hit my "sweet spot", so I hope I continue to lose pretty steady. I started out at 330lbs, I am currently at 261 and I plan on reaching my goal of 150lbs. by 9-20-08. I'm not sure if I will make it, but even if I don't, I'm so happy with my results. I only wish I had done it sooner, but better now than later. I wish you the best of luck on your lapband journey!

Steph-

Has it been difficult? I am scared I will be banded and still not loose weight?

Not bad at all. I do have to watch what I eat if I want to lose weight rather than maintaining...so I am, in essence, dieting to lose. Which reinforces what you'll hear all over this board about the band - it's a TOOL, not the solution. But it is a fantastic tool. It's easier to stick with a diet plan when I get full faster and stay that way longer! You can do this. ;)

HI I'M 27 YRS OLD AND I WAS BANDED 9/18/2007 @ 267LBS. I'M CURRENTLY LIKE 210. I GO TO MY DR. THURSDAY AND I ONLY WEIGHT MYSELF THERE. I AM LOOKING FOR SUPPORT GROUPS IN MY AREA BUT NOTHING SO FAR???:sad_smile:

I am 27 too and going for my first appt. 8/21. My boyfriend and I are going to do it together. We support each other fully. I am starting off at 278. My first goal is to be under 200lbs. Then take it from there.