Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are there so many women bandsters?

I know us guys have our own forum. It seems that we are severely out numbered here. I was thinking that society judges women more than men and that = more motivation to get banded. I really am enjoying telling everybody about my band. Some of the guys think I am less of a man for having to resort to an operation to loose weight. I really do not care. I have been 40-50 lbs overweight for 5 years now. This band is the best thing that I have ever given myself. I am so glad to be able to loose weight. I was banded on Jan 31 and am already 12 pounds down. I was eating 4500 calories a day before. I am now doing less than 1000. Even with just the surgery fill I feel very restricted. My skin is so much better, my blood sugar is normal and I feel better. I have gone in a notch on my belt. I am at 268 and my goal is 220ish or less. Thanks for letting a few of us guys hang around, I will stay out of the female problems threads.

Keep Up the Good work Ladies!

Robert

Hey Robert,

I love that post. There is a commercial for a gym where some larger women are looking in a circus mirror and seeing a slimmer self, they also see the reflection of a hot guy behind them but of course when they turn around he's not the hunk they saw, they make the comment that he should go to the gym too. I love it!

My brother in law is just as over weight as me, but my mother in law said that was ok because he was a man, and continues to harp on my weight. It's all about society and how it is percieved. Kudos for you for taking things into your own hands and not listening to the negative comments.:smile2:

I think your theory holds true. You put 40 extra pounds on a man, and he just looks like a bigger man--put it on a woman, and she is overweight!

And by the way Robert---you are less of a man for having surgery! 12 pounds less didn't you say so far??!! Just like me---you are going to leave the Obese category behind and be an Overweight Loser soon!!!

Welcome to LBT---we women will try not to gang up on you!

Kat

What men dont seem to realise when they get all carried away with manliness and masculinity, lol, is that women LOVE men who care about the way they present to the world. I dont see it as the least bit unmanly caring enough about your health and weight to get banded. Same as I find men who dress well, are clean, smell good and keep up to date with what's fashionable attractive.

My DH is considering becoming banded, but the issues he struggles with are things like the "embarrassment" of only eating a tiny meal at a business lunch, not being able to sink 20 beers with his mates, what if he cant eat a hamburger, that sort of thing. Because there's such a code of masculinity isnt there, and lettuce leaves and low fat cheese dont really fit into that - nor does excusing yourself and running to the bathroom to PB, lol.

Still, all in all, men seem to adjust quite well, just as women do, that's the thing about a band, its really able to be used the way you want to use it and can fit a variety of lifestyles and habits.

I think women in general are way more conscious of how they look and I'd hazard a guess that whilst we all do this for our health, the cosmetic benefits are huge to most of us too. More men than women are overweight but they dont seem to be as concerned about it becuase there's not as much pressure to look a certain way.

Why are there so many women bandsters?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

- Women have a higher chance of being obese than men, hence statistics.

- Women have a higher chance of self consciousness about their weight, hence more probability to seek solutions.

- Women have a harder time losing weight than men, hence more likely to seek assistance.

- Women are more likely to need "support" than men (at least admittedly), hence more women on forums, hence a skewed percentage of females banded.

I could go on. I can't say any of the above are absolutely true, but it makes sense to me.

What men dont seem to realise when they get all carried away with manliness and masculinity, lol, is that women LOVE men who care about the way they present to the world. I dont see it as the least bit unmanly caring enough about your health and weight to get banded. Same as I find men who dress well, are clean, smell good and keep up to date with what's fashionable attractive.

My DH is considering becoming banded, but the issues he struggles with are things like the "embarrassment" of only eating a tiny meal at a business lunch, not being able to sink 20 beers with his mates, what if he cant eat a hamburger, that sort of thing. Because there's such a code of masculinity isnt there, and lettuce leaves and low fat cheese dont really fit into that - nor does excusing yourself and running to the bathroom to PB, lol.

Still, all in all, men seem to adjust quite well, just as women do, that's the thing about a band, its really able to be used the way you want to use it and can fit a variety of lifestyles and habits.

I think women in general are way more conscious of how they look and I'd hazard a guess that whilst we all do this for our health, the cosmetic benefits are huge to most of us too. More men than women are overweight but they dont seem to be as concerned about it becuase there's not as much pressure to look a certain way.

I do miss the being able to drink 20 beers with my friends. I have empathy towards the women. In college I had two female roommates. The hormone factor can get ridiculous. It was like I was one of the girls. They had me looking like one of those metrosexual guys on T.V. I started to eat chocolate and get bloated with them once a month! Then I got my own place so I could have a girlfriend. It is kinda tough keeping a girlfriend around living with two girls. I am still clean but now I wear mismatched clothes sometimes(no girlfriend at the moment). I do still cry when I watch a sad movie or T.V. show. I cannot watch animal cops. I used to be more manly but have given up on all the public farting and grunting. I do still ride dirtbikes and shoot pistols. I have to shoot pistols as I am a law enforcement officer.

Robert

This post strikes me differently. In my initial support I was one of 2 women in a group of about 10 men. Stereotypically, I was so stunned, specifically due to the don't drink beer thing. But the men do so well, I suspect we will see a rise. Good luck.

Mary Faith

My local support group is mostly women, but last week there were 2 or 3 men there all preop for Lapband. I was a little surprised especially because they were older gentlemen. I hate that any of us are perceived as less for having surgery, but who cares we are doing something about our health and that is what matters. 'Weigh' to go Robert!

My best friend is 6'4" and 375 pounds. He has more women tripping over him to get at him for dating. Mind you, he is not rich, just a working guy. So consequently, he plays the field.

Me, I have been a large woman my whole life, and while I have met and dated a decent amount of men, I have never had guys tripping over themselves to get to me.

Its like being a large/super sized man is fine, but a woman, she's a slob.

Women are taking over the world, that's why!

Nah, but it would be nice to see more of the male species around these parts! I think a lot of men can't be bothered to talk an issue to death like some of us. :smile2:

Robert we were banded on the same day-best of luck!

Most of the support groups I have been to are mostly all women. Sometimes all women! And I'm not so sure about everyone being so accepting of heavy men, I have not found that to be the case..

And the beer drinking thing is going to suck. :smile2:

Robert, the whole reason why I'm encouraging my husband to get banded is so he'll fart less.

Dont you know, that when you make yourself all metrosexual because that's what women want, we'll change our minds and want a "real man" again?

Who knows, one day beer guts and bum cracks may be fashionable!

Dont you know, that when you make yourself all metrosexual because that's what women want, we'll change our minds and want a "real man" again?

Truer words were never spoken!:scared2:

Robert, I think the reason there aren't any more men on the froum is that there aren't near as many men get banded as women. Maybe because women are generally more health and image conscious than men, maybe because most men would rather spend their money on another case of beer than a lap band. It is true that our culture is much more tolerant of extra weight on a man than on a woman (and I think women are much harder on themselves than men are).

In my local area I know of several womwn who are banded but so far I'm the only man.

BTW, nice to see another LEO around.

The 2 men I know who are banded have done phenomenally!!!

One of them is part of a couple---we have been friends for years. Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, he was a BIG guy he is like 6'7" (seriously) and was close to 380 pounds----and still had women falling all over him!! His wife is 5'8" and also over 300 pounds---and everyone ask him why he was marrying her! So a couple of years ago they went to Monterrey and were banded together. They run a self owned business---are together almost 24 hours a day. They have went back for 1 fill, then she went for another on her own. He has lost well over 150 pounds, and she has lost 14. He even says she eats way less than he does.

It is so different among all bandsters, but it does seem the men do great!!

Kat

This is a BIG deal with my husband. We were banded together the same day and he seriously struggles with the business lunches & dinners. He's twice had to excuse himself, "run to the bathroom", & he just felt so embarrassed by it. He knows it's the stress of a mtg coupled with the fear someone is watching him eat a small meal / not drinking the normal wine/martinis .. that gets him so tight, that even Soup is a difficulty.

I feel bad for him, he's ashamed he let himself gain 100lbs in the 7yrs of marriage & he's embarrassed he had to go and get the lapband to help him...

At his request, we haven't told anyone about the surgery *me I'd tell anyone who'd listen* - so he's having a tougher time than me in this journey and it's difficult to get him "past" certain hangups. With the weight coming off he's getting his head around things, but it has been a chore to get him to "chin up" and get in the game.

He would NEVER come to this site, I talk to him about stuff daily that I read here and he appreciates and wants know "what did you learn today"....I'd venture he's not the only guy to not want to come to a forum such as this to seek help., "guy makeup"??..,