Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Find A Doctor To Do Fills On Outside Patients

I have a problem I haven't read about on this site. I was banded in March and have had one fill, in April. At that time I was told to come back in one month for a second fill. In the meantime, I got my insurance information and found that I had paid my "preferred provider" about $1500 too much. I had set up a flexible spending account through work to pay for this surgery and they denied my request for $1500 reimbursement because my ins. info said I only had to pay $186. The ins. co. suggested I call the doctor's office to ask about either a refund of overpayment, or a detailed list of charges (if I've prepaid for fills and such) so I can refile for my FSA payment. So I called the office, they got very defensive with me when I asked for more information for my FSA claim, and said they'd have to call me back. They told me that my fills were included, so I said, "then I've prepaid for my fills. Ok, I see. Can I just get more information on that for my FSA claim?" The finance lady never called back. A few days later, I started calling to get my second fill appointment, and for two weeks since then, I either don't get a call back from my message I leave every other day, or I get a person who says they have to check with the doctor (that's a first!) and call back. I'm starting to get angry, although I've been very polite and patient so far. I thought if I don't get my appointment "next week" when they "call" me back, I would look for another doctor. After reading these other posts I'm starting to think I've wasted my money on this surgery, and that most of the doctors (offices) involved are scamming people for money. I don't know what to do now.:(

I have a problem I haven't read about on this site. I was banded in March and have had one fill, in April. At that time I was told to come back in one month for a second fill. In the meantime, I got my insurance information and found that I had paid my "preferred provider" about $1500 too much. I had set up a flexible spending account through work to pay for this surgery and they denied my request for $1500 reimbursement because my ins. info said I only had to pay $186. The ins. co. suggested I call the doctor's office to ask about either a refund of overpayment, or a detailed list of charges (if I've prepaid for fills and such) so I can refile for my FSA payment. So I called the office, they got very defensive with me when I asked for more information for my FSA claim, and said they'd have to call me back. They told me that my fills were included, so I said, "then I've prepaid for my fills. Ok, I see. Can I just get more information on that for my FSA claim?" The finance lady never called back. A few days later, I started calling to get my second fill appointment, and for two weeks since then, I either don't get a call back from my message I leave every other day, or I get a person who says they have to check with the doctor (that's a first!) and call back. I'm starting to get angry, although I've been very polite and patient so far. I thought if I don't get my appointment "next week" when they "call" me back, I would look for another doctor. After reading these other posts I'm starting to think I've wasted my money on this surgery, and that most of the doctors (offices) involved are scamming people for money. I don't know what to do now.:(

Who is your doctor? Sometimes posting as you have puts a little pressure on them to get things moving. Let's just say it motivates them to get their job done. ;o)

Besides, other patients might be able to chime in and help pressure the office a bit.

I can't tell you how to get your money back? Except for talking to billing, and or management, and I'm sure you've done all of that.

What I can tell you, is go to a fill center usa. They can manage all of your fills. Since you have a flexible spending account, you can pay on your charge, and pay for your fills with the money. Look them up on the Internet, and see if they're in your state, city, or town. I know I go to one, and they're very good there. They treat you like you're a human being. Not like cattle." Out ith the old and in with the new." So take a look on the Internet. Shirley....

I checked online and found a fill center near Atlanta GA, which would be out 3 hours drive from here. I have emailed them to see if they do fills on Realize Band, which is the new band almost identical to the original, but from a different company. I liked their website for follow-up advice, recipes, and such. I thought about contacting them to complain about my doctor's office staff, but not until I make arrangements for care elsewhere. I also want to get a copy of my records first. I loved the doctor (Dr Ponce, Chattanooga), but haven't seen him since the day of surgery. I'm really disappointed in the office staff. They were so friendly and helpful until I asked about details of charges. I wonder if Dr Ponce knows how they react to being questioned. I also plan to file a complaint with Blue Cross, as I selected Dr Ponce because he was a preferred provider (supposed to save you money). He shouldn't be listed as a pref. provider if they are going to charge $1300 above and beyond what they agree to with insurance. I have had to prepay with dentists before, but they immediately refunded the overpayment once they settled with the insurance. That's what I expected this time, too. In the meantime, my weight loss has stalled, and of course the stress of worrying about follow up care isn't helping. These bands are a wonderful tool, but it seems from the complaints I read, that a lot of doctors are taking advantage of the demand for them, and not too many are worried about taking care of patients past the surgery date. It's going to give the band a bad reputation in the long run, and you'd think the manufacturers would want to insure better long term results with better follow up care. They should sponser the fill centers and aid in their expansion across the country. Then the doctors could keep pushing patients through like cattle until the demand for the product decreases and they move on to the next big thing. Ilandgurl

These bands are a wonderful tool, but it seems from the complaints I read, that a lot of doctors are taking advantage of the demand for them, and not too many are worried about taking care of patients past the surgery date. It's going to give the band a bad reputation in the long run, and you'd think the manufacturers would want to insure better long term results with better follow up care. They should sponser the fill centers and aid in their expansion across the country. Then the doctors could keep pushing patients through like cattle until the demand for the product decreases and they move on to the next big thing. Ilandgurl

I could not agree more.

I suspect this is exactly why sleeves are becoming more and more popular, there is no routine aftercare, no routine follow up visits, no fills and restriction issues. They are probably cheaper in the end as well when you figure in aftercare. Weight loss is better and a bit faster as well. (slower than bypass but certainly faster than a band)

If someone is banded in the US or Mexico and their doc moves, retires, dies, or if the patient moves... they have a hard time finding aftercare. Many think this is just if you were banded in Mexico but that's not true. If you were banded in the US people face the same issues. Or what if they don't like their doctor? They want a new fill doc. It's hard.

I think doctors are cutting their own noses off in spite of their faces with this crusade to only provide aftercare for their own patients. There are alternatives procedures out there, namely a sleeve.

What procedure do you know of other than banding will a surgeon refuse to see another doctor's patient? There aren't any. It's just banding. I think docs are making a huge mistake here.

I definitely agree with you! That is why I go to a Fil Center. From what I understand, a lot of these doctors are going to do surgery only, and then it will be up to you to maintain your fill. The doctor might start you off at first, just so you can learn how much your band can hold. Then it will be up to you to maintain it. That's why they call them surgeons, so they can make their money in the surgical room only. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you never know will see in the future. In the meantime, give them a call if you want, they can tell you what they're all about, and then you can decide what you'd like to do. At least it's a choice! Take care, get back if you need to.

Is your band FDA approved? If it is, then you shouldn't have any problem. That's the way I understand it, that's the way it was explained to me. A lot of them in Mexico are not FDA approved. I guess those, they will not touch. Mine was FDA approved, and no problem. Shirley.:P

Edited by sstasevich
Is your band FDA approved? If it is, there should be no problem.

I definitely agree with you! That is why I go to a Fil Center. From what I understand, a lot of these doctors are going to do surgery only, and then it will be up to you to maintain your fill. The doctor might start you off at first, just so you can learn how much your band can hold. Then it will be up to you to maintain it. That's why they call them surgeons, so they can make their money in the surgical room only. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you never know will see in the future. In the meantime, give them a call if you want, they can tell you what they're all about, and then you can decide what you'd like to do. At least it's a choice! Take care, get back if you need to.

Is your band FHA approved? If it is, then you shouldn't have any problem. That's the way I understand it, that's the way it was explained to me. A lot of them in Mexico are not FHA approved. I guess those, they will not touch. Mine was FHA approved, and no problem. Shirley.:)

I believe you mean they are not FDA approved and they are FDA approved. All the better surgeons only use Inamed and J&J on US citizens for the very reason that they would have a hard time getting fills otherwise and Inamed and J&J are most certainly FDA approved.

There are something like 9 bands approved for use in Mexico but that does not mean they are all used on US Citizens. I only know of one doctor that uses the midband and he isn't one of the more popular docs in TJ anyway. But he gives patients a choice. Midband or Inamed.

Actually, if I were to get banded again I think I'd go for the midband. Hopefully that one will get through the FDA process someday as well.

sorry,, thats talk to text for you. my mistake. Yes i meant FDA. It was explained to me by the Fill Center that more and more are not FDA approved! These, they will not touch. I apologise for the error.

I found a fill center near Atlanta, and I also talked to a doctors office near Murray Ky, under "Bluegrass Bariatrics" that will do fills for people who had surgery by another physician. They didn't specify if they would only do Inamed and J&J, and I didn't realize there were so many other bands. They have a website if you search Bluegrass Bariatrics, and they were very prompt in getting back to me. Here in the middle part of the country, fill centers are few and far between, so I don't mind letting people know about a surgeon who will do fills on other surgeon's patients.

Their fees were reasonable, I guess, at least as compared to my surgeon.

Hi Sheila, I am looking for a fill w/ fleuroscopy. I live in PDX. Can you give me a phone number for where you are in Salem? You could email me at: bdy@spiritone.com

Thanks, Beverley

To reply to IWANTBANDED, check out fill centers usa, they have about 30 locations that seem to be reasonably priced, 349inital then 165 for follow up fills, i am to be banded on the 25th in Mexico and plan to use the fill center as my resource for my fills, since it will be a whole lot cheaper than, boarding my dogs, getting a plane ticket and going back to mexico.

fillcenters usa also requires a payment of $88 each time for fluoro they told me. Not worth the drive to the closest one for me.

Im feeling like a leper myself, most doctors wouldnt take me, or there is a 3 month wait if you were banded in Mexico, or they charge extra to fill you if you were banded in mexico, take your pick.

Hello all,

I emailed FillCenters USA a few days ago and the response I received was that the first visit is $545. and every visit thereafter would be $285. Every fill is done with fluro. This would be more expensive for me than flying back to Co. where I will be banded on Sept. 3. And they are only there every other month (at least in the Moultrie GA one). Just wanted to let you all know what I found so far.

Deb

Do the bariatric surgeons that we call to see if they do other doctors fills, as per Kira's excellent suggestion, have to know where we got our band? I am almost tempted not to tell them I was (will be) banded in Mexico. People have so many misconceptions as I did 2 years ago before I did the research.

Do the bariatric surgeons that we call to see if they do other doctors fills, as per Kira's excellent suggestion, have to know where we got our band? I am almost tempted not to tell them I was (will be) banded in Mexico. People have so many misconceptions as I did 2 years ago before I did the research.

I have a card which has my name and my surgeon's. Even if you tried to not tell them, Im sure they would look up where that surgeon practices.

Im calling someone Monday and got my fingers crossed, being banded in Mexico isnt a problem. One place I had the nurse go ask and she told me two cash pay folks who ended up in ER, they got stuck with the bill, so now they wouldnt take any more banded in Mexico. Its definetely an issue with the fill doctors.