Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left shoulder pain??

i hate to tell you i am 4 mos out and i stilll have shoulder pain the more fills i get the worse it is so im thinking it might be permanent im hoping not does anyone had it go awaY?

Hi,

I had very bad pains in my left shoulder. My doc said it was due to the healing of my hiatal hernia. The nerves in the diaphram are somehow connected to your left shoulder. Anyway-the only thing that worked for me was laying on my left side. I was ready to be up and moving, but every time I did, the pain came back. I went for 1 week checkup-still in pain. He said it would go away soon, and it did-the next day. I feel for you!!!!

Kim

I was really excited to see this thread. I have been having a lot of problem with my left shoulder but have been attributing it all to a fall I took last February before I had the surgery. My shoulder/upper left arm was bothering me after that fall (I landed on my left arm) and has gotten worse and worse.

I've also definitely noticed the pain in the front collar bone area when I've overeaten, but I've also had physical therapy and a cortisone shot for my shoulder pain. I finally had an MRI last month which showed that I have tendenitis in 3 different areas, as well as an osteocyte impinging on my nerve. It also says "no complete tear of the rotator cuff" like there might be a partial tear. But because the pain is in different places, and I've fallen twice around Christmas, I didn't connect it to the band, except the pain when I've overeaten. So I don't know where one problem starts and another ends.

I've always begun to have some slight pains in band and port areas. Not sure what that is, but I've lost 50 lbs since May and unfortunately, have been overeating a bit and am stuck there.

This is all quite interesting....

As someone who has had multiple abdominal surgeries starting when I was in my teens, the left shoulder pain has always been a post-op effect I have experienced. It usually lasts for 2weeks (although less every day). I was expecting it after the banding, and sure enough it is here. My husband understands that one of his many roles is 'burping' me - gently rubbing the left shoulder area does work to relieve the gas pressure. That, and walking work wonders.

Im now on my second day post op - up and about, sipping fluids and burping regularly!

me too i suffered terrible left shoulder pain, doctor told me some people suffer from this while others don't

don't worry it will go away, it took me 10 days to get back to work and feel OK.

heating pads help and also pain killers if the pain is really reallly bad

Oh I know about the shoulder pain! I was banded on 02/22. When I awoke from the anesthesia nothing was hurting except for my left shoulder. I thought they had dislocated it while moving me, it was so painful! My incisions have never hurt, have only been a little sore, but my shoulder was awful for a couple of days!

I have having periodic chest pain and as worse it becomes left shoulder pain. I am 10 weeks post surgery with NO fills.

I have tried double-strength Gas-X with twice the recommended dosage (several days at 8 tabs a day).

They have done an upper endoscopy.

Laying down no longer is complete relief.

It can hurt with no eating or drinking for 2 hours.

It can hurt an hour after eating.

Some relief while eating or immediately after things such as yogurt, pudding.

My surgery has many years experience with lap-bands & did full residency with them. Over 500 lap-band surgeries.

Thinks possible that tubing is rubbing on my diaphram (saw 1 patient like this). But does not really know.

I am exhausted after a bad day. Some days with pain only once in the day, others all day long. I am starting to again to pain pills I have left over from prior surgeries.

They are thinking that I probably may have to have the lap-band removed.

Lori

:biggrin:

I haven`t had my surgery yet, but this is one of the things that I have been reading alot lately and it`s vey scary for me , have you gotten a second opinion yet? I imagine you have but to go through all this and then have your band removed...I can only imagine how painful it is.

please keep us updated on your condition I really wish you the best:thumbup:

UPDATE-All is well now. I found out from my Dr. that the shoulder pain was caused by my hiatel hernia repair. It seems that there is a connection or correlation between the diaphram and the left shoulder muscles. Anyway, it was very rough for 1 week and 1 day only. It stopped as suddenly as it began. I am about 4 weeks post op and doing great now.

It was not easy! Laying down on my left side was the only remedy.

Kim

The shoulder pain in the first week to week and a half was not fun...although the recurring theme I keep finding on here is pain in the left shoulder, and my pain was in the right shoulder. I guess I just had to be the different one! :smile2: I tried to be up walking around as much as I could, and went through a lot of GasX chewable tablets. The shoulder pain wasn't too bad when I was upright, it just hurt like heck when I would lie down to go to sleep, it made it hurt to even breathe at times. Luckily by this point the pain meds would be kicking in and I'd be falling asleep! I'm 3 weeks post-op now and haven't had any shoulder pain in almost 2 weeks, and I'm hoping it stays that way from now on!!

:smile2::tt2:I had my band on 2/25/08. My doctor said that I had a hiatal hernia that she repaired. She told me that would cause pain in my left shoulder, so far I have been lucky with now pain.

I am one of the unfortunate ones to still have shoulder pains after a month of the surgery. What REALLY helps me is to lie on my LEFT side. Try it! Good luck.

Can someone please help. I have a lot of left shoulder pain while eating. I don't know what the problem is .

Thanks for the imput, they did discover a hiatal hernia and did the repair at the time of the band. Is that very common? I didn't even know I had the hernia. So far, so good. I am walking a little at a time, several times a day and am starting to feel almost normal again. This is my 4th day being banded. Take care....

Thanks for the imput, they did discover a hiatal hernia and did the repair at the time of the band. Is that very common? I didn't even know I had the hernia. So far, so good. I am walking a little at a time, several times a day and am starting to feel almost normal again. This is my 4th day being banded. Take care....

When I was in hospital there were 2 ladies who had also had been banded that day and both of them had to have hernia repairs.

I was banded in July 2009 and have been experiencing left shoulder pain since. It bothers me all the time and feels like a pinched nerve (burning/pulling sensation). It's terrible because I sleep with my left arm under my pillow so I've had to alter my sleeping position.

Thank you to the bander who posted the use of a heating pad. I just ran in and grabbed my heating pad and am hoping this works!

Also, thank you to the bander who posted about the diaphram.

I've had terrible acid reflux, heartburn, pressure like a brick sitting on my chest for the past two weeks. I called my surgeon and he put me back on liquids thinking that something was stuck in my band. After 6 days I was finally able to eat yogurt. on the 8th day I tried eating a piece of baked chicken and a few very soft green Beans and I'm back to square one... PAIN and Acid Reflux. I can only sip on liquids and sometimes they come up too.

My surgeon doesnt have office hours on Fridays, so I'm waiting til Monday in the hopes that something gives.

I'd love to hear from anyone else with the same symptoms and what it might be... band slippage, restriction, food stuck, hernia, ???