Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roof of Mouth

Ok... so... I have looked everywhere I possibly can the past month for a reason this happens to me and I've had NO luck! Hopefully I'm not the only nutty one out there that this happens to. When I eat my first meal of the day (doesn't matter what it is), more times than not, the roof of my mouth swells and becomes very painful. It feels like small bumps on either side of that little line down the middle, and sometimes in the middle at the end of the line. It lasts from 2-5 minutes then it goes away and doesn't happen again for the rest of the day. I'm assuming they are lymph nodes but have no clue at all why they swell. I suppose I need to go in and ask the doc but I have a feeling she'll think I'm a fruitcake! :)

Have any of you experienced this before or know someone who has?

Thanks!

Kel

That's interesting! I wonder if it's a food allergy? My son gets this type of symptom when he eats oranges, but he has never tested positive for an "orange" allergy. His allergist suggested he was sensitive to it. Have you tried something new in your diet? I'd at least talk to my doc about it. I don't think it's that weird!

OMGoodness!

Yes, it so happens to me...and out of the blue.

I thought it was the acid/fluids, etc that come from sliming...as I do it frequently.

food allergy would be appropriate...but it isn't in my case.

It happened once when I ate 2 bites of toast and jelly. But eat it later in the day...no problem.

It happened once when I drank orange juice...later in the day is fine.

Kel, if you find out...come back to this thread and let me and everyone else know what it is.

Well thank goodness Grace, I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I was thinking about the allergy thing too as mentioned above, but it's never consistant. Like today, I had little bit of some cheesy potatoes that was brought in for a food day here at work and it happened. There is never any rhyme or reason and it doesn't happen everyday. The only thing that does stay the same is it happens with my first meal of the day.

I am gonna make an appt with my doc and see what she says. For some reason I don't think this is something she's probably heard much about. I will certainly keep you posted on what I find out! :regular_smile:

Feel free to drop me an email also Grace!

Take care! :biggrin2:

Kel

I was really glad to see this, I have had the same thing but it happens when I am getting full or if something is going down really, really slow. I only get it when I have restriction so I kind of forgot about it because I am waiting on a fill after a tubing replacement.

I have something like that, too. It's always the first food of the day but it's not every day. I don't really get bumps but a very uncomfortable feeling in the roof of my mouth. Very hard to describe. Doesn't happen any other time just with first food of the day.

Linda

I was really glad to see this, I have had the same thing but it happens when I am getting full or if something is going down really, really slow. I only get it when I have restriction so I kind of forgot about it because I am waiting on a fill after a tubing replacement.

Makes me think maybe it has to do with the saliva glands? They're overactive trying to move stuck food, so maybe the ones in the mouth decide to swell up too.. :confused2:

So.... I go to my band doc on Monday, actually I saw her PA, and just as I thought she has never heard of this before. She is going to do some research and call me when she knows something. Since I'm back to square one I'll update you once I hear from her and let you know either way.

Till then.... have a good one! :biggrin2:

Kel

Ohhhh....the best part is I've lost 30lbs since 1 October!:)

Oh my! I even did a Google search on it because I thought I was weird too! Mine is more like a cramp. I actually looked in the mirror with my compact and the roof of my mouth was all bunched up and wrinkly! It hurts too! If anyone talks to their doc or finds more info. on this, make sure to post!

OMG, it is so wierd! I was just googling this because I've had it but really didn't think that it had anything to do with lapband guess I was wrong.

At first I thought it was an allergy but it doesn't matter what the food is or what time of day I have my first actualy meal or solid food, it happens and it HURTS! I usually stop eating of course and put pressure on the roof of my mouth (closer to the back) with my tongue and it goes away in 1-3 minutes I would say. I can have all of the solid foods all day long but as soon as I take that first bite I can feel it going down. I really do wonder like someone mentioned before if it's a reaction to the food going down and possibly the saliva being produced in mass amounts the first time of the day...also maybe that you are tighter for your first meal, maybe a shock. I don't know but too wierd...hope someone gets an answer from a doc soon please let us know!

Found this today while I was poking around the web. I've been having aweful memory and concentration problems the past few months and that's what lead me to this.

Symptom specific to severe Vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency anemia:

• swelling of the mouth or tongue

I have an appt with my FP doctor tomorrow, I'll make sure I'm tested and keep ya posted.

Kel

I have had this happen recently a few times. It got so bad today that I returned here after a year of leaving the forum. Its always the first meal and the pain was intense today. It was breaded popcorn chicken that triggered it. Any word what causes this?

Thought I'd re-visit this thread.....

It happened to me when (but funny thing is NOT ALWAYS):

Fruity Pebbles

WaffleO's (eggo cereal)

toast and jelly

honey bun/pastery

egg sandwich

bacon/egg/cheese biscuit

pancakes

apple

... ... ... ... sure there are other things I can't remember

It happens within 3-4 bites and I immediatly spit out whatever and rinse my mouth with Water

That acute swelling/burning is crazy!

I did notice it happened in the mornings....so the toothpaste factor could be part of it

I just don't eat Breakfast anymore and haven't had any problem. I don't eat until 10 or 11 am.