Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SURVEY-- Your Food Stages

I've noticed some differences among doctors and/or patients in what we are eating before and in the early post-surgery months. If you have interest and time, it may be interesting to know:

1. Did you have a nutritionist? Did you receive a written diet or program?

2. What was your pre-op diet? How long were you on it?

3. What days were you on Clear liquids?

4. How long were you on Full liquids? Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending?

5. When were you on the Puree Diet?

6. When were you on the Soft food Diet?

7. In the soft food diet, were you told which foods to avoid or be careful of?

(eg high Fiber breads and cereals, raw/fresh veggies, fresh fruits w skins, fried foods, tough meats, nuts & seeds. Were you informed that meat, rice and bread usually not tolerated until after 2-3 months)

8. Did you deviate from your diet? What was your experience, if so?

Thanks.

Yes, yes.

Liquids, 3 days

3. What days were you on Clear Liquids?

None

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending?

Don't even know what that is...full liquids.

Day out of hospital til 3 days later.

Wait, soft food? Maybe I wasn't on puree.

Yes.

No.

If you are hungry...eat!

If it hurts...don't do it!

my philosophy anyways

Responses in Blue

I've noticed some differences among doctors and/or patients in what we are eating before and in the early post-surgery months. If you have interest and time, it may be interesting to know:

1. Did you have a nutritionist? No Did you receive a written diet or program? Yes

2. What was your pre-op diet? Low Cal food How long were you on it? 7 Days

3. What days were you on Clear Liquids? 3 Days Post Op

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? 10 Days Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending? Yes - Soups mostly

5. When were you on the Puree Diet? Didn't have one

6. When were you on the Soft food Diet? I had a 2wk mushie / soft food stage from wk 3 through wk 4 Post Op

(eg high Fiber breads and cereals, raw/fresh veggies, fresh fruits w skins, fried foods, tough meats, nuts & seeds. Were you informed that meat, rice and bread usually not tolerated until after 2-3 months) Yes

8. Did you deviate from your diet? What was your experience, if so? No - I did go to solid food a day or 2 sooner as that's when I had gotten hungry for the first time & with Dr's approval.

Thanks.

There ya go...:)

Nutritionist? Yes!

Pre-op diet? No, I was self pay and low BMI so wasn't required. Was advised to begin eating according to the lap band rules (stop drinking before and after, small bites, chew well, eat slowly)

Clear liquids- four days. Surgery day counted as day one.

Soft proteins-chicken,turkey,cottage cheese, refried Beans, lowfat cheese,fish,low sugar/lowfat yogurt - from day four until first fill.

First fill- four to six weeks post op. After fill, clear liquids for three days.

Then...Everything! But Protein first, then veggies, then fruit, then if still eating, starch.

I was told to avoid fibrous vegetables like asparagus and celery, popcorn, gum, and carbonated beverages. Anything else I was allowed as long as I could handle it.

1. Did you have a nutritionist? Just went one time

Did you receive a written diet or program? Yes, from my surgeon.

2. What was your pre-op diet? Low fat diet for one week and liquids two days pre-op. How long were you on it?

2 days. Day of surgery and the day after.

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? Two weeks.

Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending? If I did, I mixed in broth, Water or milk to thin it out. NO meat though....

I referred to it as the mushy stage. I did this for 4 weeks.

this would be the same as mushy stage for me.

Yes. My surgeon gave me a folder with TONS of printed materials. The diet. Sample menus. Danger signals to look for. What exercises were allowed and when, history of Lap Band, discrimination, etc. It was VERY helpful. I was even given a little measuring cup with a lid at the hospital that measured cups, ounces, milliliters, etc. It was very helpful.

No. I was to scared to.

1. Did you have a nutritionist? Did you receive a written diet or program? ~yes~yes

2. What was your pre-op diet? How long were you on it?Liquids-hiPro shakes-a week-to shrink the fatty liver

7 before~7After

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? a week

Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending?shakes

5. When were you on the Puree Diet?@2weeks

6. When were you on the Soft food Diet? 3 weeks

7. In the soft food diet, were you told which foods to avoid or be careful of?Yes what you pointed out

(eg high fiber breads and cereals, raw/fresh veggies, fresh fruits w skins, fried foods, tough meats, nuts & seeds. Were you informed that meat, rice and bread usually not tolerated until after 2-3 months)yes

8. Did you deviate from your diet? What was your experience, if so?no-i ve done all this to succeed-i ve had a lifetime of eating at will---i will do as Dr says.

JoJoBanana

1. Did you have a nutritionist? Yes, and I will have her for the rest of my life if needed. This was required by my insurance AND by my surgical facility before they would perform lap band on anybody.

Did you receive a written diet or program? Yes. Very detailed.

2. What was your pre-op diet? No diet pre-op since I was very healthy and doc does not see significant results with the "shrinking of the liver" diets. 24 hours before surgery I was on clear liquids & I had to take 2 Dulcolax pills. Then nothing to drink after midnight. That was it.

I was required to stay overnight per my insurance. I was only on clear liquids while in the hospital. All lap band patients are sent home and placed immediately on full liquids at my facility.

4. How long were you on Full Liquids?

One week

Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending? No because I don't think that's the point of the full liquid stage. I stuck only to actual full liquids per my instructions.

We did 2 weeks on purees

2 weeks of soft foods

7. In the soft food diet, were you told which foods to avoid or be careful of? Yes

Only slightly, and only with my surgeon's approval. He bumped me up to soft foods a few days early. He says they are working to change the healing diet to a shorter period of time for lap band patients. He said he and many other surgeons in the world simply put lap band patients on the same healing diet as Gastric Bypass patients because it's just easier to educate everybody the same way. He said a healing diet for 6 weeks is not really necessary unless there are complications. I had no problems whatsoever from moving a bit early to soft foods. I have absolutely no complications at all, and no problems with any food items yet. Of course, I've not had a fill yet! LOL

1. Did you have a nutritionist?

Yes, in the initial consultation and classes stage

Did you receive a written diet or program?

Yes, very specific guidance was given.

2. What was your pre-op diet?

I did not really have a pre-op diet. I was instructed to be on clear liquids for 24 hours prior to my surgery.

24 hours prior to surgery, then 1 week post surgery

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending?

1 week, didn't blend much stuff I was happy with yogurt and pudding.

Week 3 was a combo of puree/soft foods, that when I could start eating eggs, tuna salad, etc...

see above answer

(eg high fiber breads and cereals, raw/fresh veggies, fresh fruits w skins, fried foods, tough meats, nuts & seeds. Were you informed that meat, rice and bread usually not tolerated until after 2-3 months)

Those foods were not included in my soft foods diet. I could not graduate to that stuff until week 4.

I cheated a little bit, mostly by moving stuff up. Like I only did clear liquids for 5 days, then went to full liquids. I didn't see much detriment to going from clear to full. That was the only thing that I really cheated on. I stuck to it to the letter otherwise.

1. Did you have a nutritionist?

Yes

Did you receive a written diet or program?

Yes

2. What was your pre-op diet?

2 weeks low calorie, low fat diet

Two days before surgery. (Nothing to eat or dinrk day of surgery).Then clear liquids One week after surgery

One week. No blending.

Week three, but I stayed on Full liquid instead. I don't like most food pureed.

Week four.

(eg high fiber breads and cereals, raw/fresh veggies, fresh fruits w skins, fried foods, tough meats, nuts & seeds. Were you informed that meat, rice and bread usually not tolerated until after 2-3 months)

A list of suggested foods to give us an idea of texture and a list of definite no's

I stayed on the full liquid one extra week, skipped the pureed and the moved to soft. I added a full liquid a few days earlier because I was lightheaded.

1. Did you have a nutritionist? No, I was self pay and it wasn't required. Did you receive a written diet or program? Very vague and generalized.

2. What was your pre-op diet? Was clear liquids only...How long were you on it? 12 hours

3. What days were you on Clear Liquids? Only the day prior to surgery...and I messed up and didn't notice that until it was too late.

4. How long were you on Full Liquids? 1 week

Did you incorporate any whole foods in this stage, for example, by blending? No

5. When were you on the Puree Diet? 2nd week for 1 week

6. When were you on the Soft food Diet? 3rd week for 1 week

7. In the soft food diet, were you told which foods to avoid or be careful of? No, was told this more with week 4...information is rather vague as I mentioned in another post.

8. Did you deviate from your diet? What was your experience, if so? I think I may have kicked it up a notch towards the soft foods week and did that only 3 days.

Thanks.

Yes, met once. But they were always there IF I needed them.

liquids for 3 days.

What's that? :wink2:

A few days...it was eat what I could tolerate and graduate at my own pace to solids. I had potato Soup on day 2. And by weeks end had pizza.

Not

See # 4

Yep, got the book about Lapband...it's all in there.

Of course....duh! We are here because we weren't able to diet. So it's no surprise the 'diet' failed.

That duh was for me. I have not ever dieted and will not ever diet....thanks to the Lapband!

This is about re-learning how to eat. Eat smaller portions and making better choices.

For the first time in my adult life I'm size 6 and don't diet! My kids will not ever hear me complain or avoid food.