Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

I would do it again in a heartbeat (even though I had a complication and had to have revision surgery). The band helps you stay on track, which is different when you are just on a diet, you can revert back to your old ways, but the band keeps you in check. Also, 1-2 is the norm they communicate, but everyone is different. I know one guy who lost an average of 20lbs a month. I have been averaging about 12 lbs a month (3lbs a week) and that was with a month of not losing bc of complications!

Yes I would do it again. I have lost 45 pounds in 4 mnths!!!!!

When I went for all my pre-op testng they found out I have diabetes, and a bad hiatel hernia. well the Dr fixed the hernia during lap band placement. and the Diabetes is being controlled with meds and he is about to take me off of those. So all the $$$$ spent on this band is SOOO worth it.

Dear Fatbutnothappy, thank you for asking this question. And, dear, courageous and wonderful Bandsters, thank you for answering this question with such honesty and gusto. It means so much to hear from you. I know your journey's have not been easy and that you have had to work hard even with the assistance of the lapband to get where you are now. I can also see how extremely happy you all are now that you've lost and are loosing your weight. Congratulations to all of you!

I'm just about to be banded myself... been researching the lapband for years and now so excited and a little nervous about taking the next step. I've had moments of doubt, but mostly, I feel this enormous sense of optimism and joy as I know I am about to embark on the most important journey in my life.

It has been so wonderful to see all of your responses to this and once again... Thank you ALL and continued success! :regular_smile:

Dear Fatbutnothappy, thank you for asking this question. And, dear, courageous and wonderful Bandsters, thank you for answering this question with such honesty and gusto. It means so much to hear from you. I know your journey's have not been easy and that you have had to work hard even with the assistance of the lapband to get where you are now. I can also see how extremely happy you all are now that you've lost and are loosing your weight. Congratulations to all of you!

I'm just about to be banded myself... been researching the lapband for years and now so excited and a little nervous about taking the next step. I've had moments of doubt, but mostly, I feel this enormous sense of optimism and joy as I know I am about to embark on the most important journey in my life.

It has been so wonderful to see all of your responses to this and once again... Thank you ALL and continued success! :regular_smile:

I look forward to tracking your progress Lattedah.

It is so exciting to think the butterfly will emerge from that cocoon.....God be with you.

Good luck Lattedah. The worst part of my surgery was being thirsty the next day and those pesky nurses who wouldn't let me sleep, lol. Otherwise it was a piece of cake ...Oops, sorry! It is so worth it! Tell us all about your experience when you are back home.

You'll be interested to see this poll I did awhile back....91% of 368 people said they'd do it again.

91%!!! I think that's incredible.

If I had to have my band removed for any reason I'd be heartbroken! I LOVE MY BAND.

You bet I would do it again, It took me 26 mos to get to my goal, and I am excitied. I am self paid, and I would pay twice as much as I did knowing what I know now.

Well, I have never been able to lose 1-2lbs/week before my band. I don't know why but I was never able to lose weight more than 1/2 lb per week, and I stopped trying to figure out why. Even since I was banded, I only was able to lose 2 lb/week in the first couple months, and now I've averaged out to just over 1 lb/week. But that's okay, because the actual weight loss wasn't the main reason I got banded--the number one reason was preventing the regain. I was so disheartened by years of dieting and regaining the weight, and when I learned that only 5% of people who lose weight through diet and exercise alone are able to keep the weight off for 5 years, I just decided to stop torturing myself.

Right now, I would say ABSOLUTELY, I would do it again in a heartbeat. But if I were to have a slip or another late complication, and somehow end up losing my band, I might change my mind. Who knows? At this point, though, I can't imagine life without it. When I eat Breakfast and stay satisfied with 1/2 cup of food for hours, and remember how much I used to eat for Breakfast, I just am so thankful for my band! If I had to have a different surgery, I'm not sure what I would do. Even the sleeve is more radical than I am comfortable with. I'm just so thankful this option was available because it seems perfect for me and my lifestyle.

Good luck to you!

I would do it again in a heart beat it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I understand what people say that you can go on a diet and lose the same 1-2 lbs. per week but can they keep it off and not gain it back? Are they hungry? Do they stay with the diet for a lifetime??? These are questions we need to ask the person telling us that. I have lost 150 lbs. in a little over a year and this is the best feeling in the world to be healthy and proud of myself.

This may help...

I went in for my first fill a few days ago.

I walked into my surgeon's office, very hungry with tummy gurgling.

I walked out feeling full.

He put in 6 cc's in a 9 cc band.

This thing is amazing. A few days ago I thought I would never lose weight, then I got my first fill and now the ball is rolling!:tongue2:

probably... i'm having a lot of trouble with port pain 3.5 weeks out... so i'm feeling a bit depressed right now. added to that my (normally low) blood pressure has dropped off the scale so i am experiencing a lot of dizziness and feeling like i'm going to pass out

but... i believe these problems will pass and it will be worth it... ask me in acouple of months and i'd probably say yes without hesitation... but it's not straightforward for everyone.

Thank you, JoJo, Patricia, Terry, et al, for your encouragement. I'll definitely keep you posted on my progress and I will be turning to you along the way... I'm just so happy! Can you tell :tongue2:

Have a great weekend, everyone!

I was banded 1/16/08 and I have been struggling with head hunger. I have even cried quite a bit over losing my best friend (food) but I would still do it in a heartbeat. I have lost a total of 20 lbs. I lost 10 lbs within the 1st week after surgey and then my weight stalled but I was happy because I didn't gain it back. Normally if I would have lost 10 lbs that fast I would of gained 15 back but now have lost another 5 lbs (5 lbs lost during pre-op).

Hi I am extremely happy with the lap band. I wish I did it sooner. The band is slower yes, but it forces you to deal with emotional issues, am I really hungry? It deals with portions, eating slower and small bites. I had the band in oct 2006 and started at 240 and now am 165 my goal is 155(I am 5' 8"). You have to realize this is a tool and not the end all. We have to deal with why we were fat etc. In general our portions served in restaurants are out of control and it no wonder we are a nation of fat americans. Everythings quick easy and processed fatty foods. This is truly a life altering decsion, the last resort. I also believe exercise is very important in our life and attending support meetings. You get to meet others and get great ideas and see how we deal with our ups and downs. We are all in this together and we need to support one another. You have to make the decision which one is better for you. I would highly recommend the lap band!! Take Care Diana