Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?

• Elliptical
    • Treadmill

I have a proform treadmill and a Cardo-zone eliiptical and I was doing both for 30 minutes apiece prior to my surgery on July 2. About a week ago started doing the treadmill again for 30 minutes and today did treadmill for 30 minutes and eliptical for 20 minutes and didn't encounter any problems health wise. Am seeing Dr. this Friday for adjustment adn hopefully he will clear me to do full workouts. I can read doing both machines so it helps to pass the time. Sean

I use both, although lately I'm on more of a tredmill kick. The tredmill used to scare me but now I love it. To me it allows for more variety in your workout. You can walk, run, do intervills, hills. ect. The eliptical is great too though, it provides a lower impact work out and you can go backwards and forwards (I guess you could go backwards on the tredmill too if you were really brave :tongue2: ) Anyhow, you just have to go with the one you think you are more likely to use. I would alos be wary of an elliptical that cheap though.

Forgot one more machine the Stairmaster. Not the old clunky rotating stairmaster, but the new stairmasters that are like the ellipticals that we have at Planet Fitnness. I really enjoy the Stairmaster over the ellipticals.

Banded: 06/30/09 CMC Manchester NH Dr. Connie Campbell

weight.png

I'll give a hearty vote to the elliptical. My doctor banned me from treadmills because of the damage they can cause to someone.

The elliptical burns almost twice the calories and is toning up my legs like I've never seen!! I'm in love with my machine!

I use both, although lately I'm on more of a tredmill kick. The tredmill used to scare me but now I love it. To me it allows for more variety in your workout. You can walk, run, do intervills, hills. ect. The eliptical is great too though, it provides a lower impact work out and you can go backwards and forwards (I guess you could go backwards on the tredmill too if you were really brave :P ) Anyhow, you just have to go with the one you think you are more likely to use. I would alos be wary of an elliptical that cheap though.

I just wanted to say, my elliptical offers all these options too. It can be adjusted as if you were walking uphill, has many different set of resistance and has workouts that can burn 400 Cals in 30 minutes time. (Keep in mind this is for the average 150 Lb person too!)

You can really get a great cardio workout with the elliptical once you get used to it and can pick up the speed/resistance on it. I used to be a runner before my knees blew out. When I'm done with my elliptical workout I'm sweating and feeling even more energized than I ever did when I used to run! :frown:

I just bought a $1,900 treadmill. I can't do the elliptical. I tried a few times. I don't know if I am too old or just too uncoordinated but I don't feel right on the things.

I have both...both are gym quality and I use both when working out....you have to mix up the workouts a bit or you will get bored and not do it!

I have found that I burn almost double the amount of calories on the elliptical, than on the treadmill, I also got bored on the treadmill, and my knees would ache..So I have done the elliptical and it has worked out good for me..However I am picky I like some ellipticals over others..I have one at home but I am trying to sell it. I really like the ones at the gym better. I also get a better sweat off the elliptical, it makes me feel like I am really working...I like running too but on the treadmill it is harder on me..

How is the eliptical on your knees. I have weak knees and have been afraid to try the eliptical. Is it hard to keep balanced? Is it like walking or more like climing stairs? I have a great deal of trouble climing stairs.

Happy New Year!!:biggrin:

I hate them both !!! But, I did go buy an elliptical.

I have a hard enough time tripping over my own feet.... a real clutz sometimes. I see myself with some bad injuries with a treadmill.

I love my elliptical. It seems less stressful on my knees and I get a great workout on it. I live in Michigan and so it is great in the winter. When I want to walk I open my front door and go. Either way it is a matter of using it. Good luck:redface:

at first i was leery and scared of the treadmill, i hated it.i like both for different reasons.the elliptical works my big heavy ugly thighs.i can burn more calories on the treadmill over 1000 in a hour +5 minute cool down. verses 800 on the elliptical.so some days i do 30-45 minutes 0n one and 30 minutes on the other, oor 1 hr on either or

I like them both, but lately I've been using my treadmill more than the elliptical.

I vote Elliptical. The elliptical is easier on my knees & joints. I also feel I get a better work out on it vs treadmill. Also- im uncoordinated & feel if i run on the treadmill I'm going to trip over my own feet & go flying off the back of it like those youtube videos lol. Took me a bit to work up to the elliptical as far as balance & such. But I got there!

I have dieted and lost weight many many times and I have become like a work out expert sorta. Trust me when I say not only is it better support for the knees since we are overweight, but you burn WAY more calories on the eliptical. What I would recommend is do the eliptical and if you feel like you can't finish the time you wanted to....jump on the treadmill and walk the rest of the time...its a good way to build up your stamina