Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?

• Elliptical
    • Treadmill

Ok, so i have a treadmill, but i really do not use it YET (the operative word). I looked at the ellipticals the other day in the store and i even got on one and used it for about a minute.

in just that minute i felt it in more of my leg muscles than i would have imagined feeling on the treadmill. (one of the elliptical's there were other's that weren't too good).

so, this is my questions, which do you think is better and why?

my treadmill is a very nice $700 one, but the elliptical i'm looking at only costs $189 and if i buy it, i'm selling my treadmill (i only have room for one good piece of exercise equipment..and really my treadmill is too big).

so please vote, and let me know.

I voted for the elliptical. I have a treadmill too (I don't use it, should sell it). At the gym I use the Elliptical and the bike, the treadmill became too boring for me.

I have found that I burn almost double the amount of calories on the elliptical, than on the treadmill, I also got bored on the treadmill, and my knees would ache..So I have done the elliptical and it has worked out good for me..However I am picky I like some ellipticals over others..I have one at home but I am trying to sell it. I really like the ones at the gym better. I also get a better sweat off the elliptical, it makes me feel like I am really working...I like running too but on the treadmill it is harder on me..

I just bought a house and one bedroom I am designating an office but I 'm thinking of making that a mini gym, which would be healthier than sitting on my but and surfing the net. Where did you find an eliptical for 189????????????????????? what make is it? I mean that is an awesome price!

uhh..i didn't pay attention to the make of it. i'm new at this. there were 2 others that were even less, but i didn't like the feel of those. this one was big and sturdy and smooth and had a digital screen, etc. the arms also moved.

it was at academy sports..but i'm in arkansas.

I have both, as well as a recumbant bike and stairmaster/stepper. I would have to say I like them all pretty equally. I rotate days with them. So my body gets a change and new workout each day. The incline option on a treadmill is great as is the stride selection option on an eliptical.

I think the most important part of getting in a workout for me is my ipod.

Is the $189 one REALLY gym quality? Because I'd be very very wary of buying exercise equipment that cheap.

There is NOTHING worse than a dodgy, rickety shaky elliptical like the crappy ones you get when you hire. YOu wont use it.

I'd vote treadmill simply because they're more versatile, I run on mine, I do interval type tough workouts, I do long slow training, I can walk slowly on it whilst I do reading for uni (not really exercise but better than sitting inactive) and I use it for circuit training interspersed with weighted squats, lunges, pushups. When I do intervals I can vary them between speed and incline ones.

But ellipticals are good too - and especially if you need a non impact workout.

I like the elliptical because you get more bang for your buck! It burns a lot of calories in a shorter time frame, and it seems to build more muscles. I am happier when I am on it, because it is less impact on my body. Plus I walk everyday outside, so the treadmill is kind of redundant.

I've also been looking at buying an elliptical, but I want one that lasts and that is close to gym quality because this old body can't take any more aches, pains or injuries. The specific model is Precor and it runs over $3,000 at the Hest store in Texas.

Before you sell your treadmill, you may want to try out the elliptical for a while to make sure it doesn't irritate your joints in some way, especially since it doesn't sound like its gym quality.

The eliptical machine I use works the arms, too, so that is why I prefer it. I also find it less boring than a treadmill and it gives me less problem with my heels - I have achilles tendonitis and heel spurs so it is lower impact on my feet. I think it burns more calories, too, but you can get a really good workout on a treadmill by increasing speed and incline. Also, remember on the treadmill you shouldn't be hanging on. That helps burn more calories, too. I'm concerned about the eliptical you mentioned being so cheap. You might be better off with your good treadmill.

Go to your nearest Craigs List location (craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums) ...and go to the Sports section. You cannot believe that great deals you can get on Ellipticals etc. You know people buy them and use them for a month and then they sit...so they sell them. You just need to have a way to get them to your house.

I have an exercise bike, a treadmill, a Nordic Track and a weight set but I really think the best one I use is the Rebounder (mini trampoline) It gives you a great workout...you can bounce, dance, or just walk on it. It was inexpensive, portable and I just love it.

I like the treadmill a lot more than the elliptical. I found that I really enjoy walking and jogging. On the elliptical you have to "pedal" and set your own speed and make yourself go faster, while on the treadmill, you set a speed and you have no choice but to keep up with it. For that reason, I find that I will slack on the elliptical, but the treadmill pushes me to work harder. And also for some reason, I don't like the moving handles on the elliptical and I find myself holding on to the stationary handles.

Treadmill is BORING. Elliptical FUN. I feel like I also get a MUCH better workout on a elliptical. I sold my Precor Treadmill because I just never used it. Eventually I want to replace it with an Elliptical. The gym is going to have to do for now.