Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin and sores

I have question about loose skin and sores. Below my belly, i have an open sore right at the fold of my belly and crotch. My skin there is not too bad (Loose), but this particular area doesn't get a lot of "air" if you know what I mean. I am scrupulously clean. I still have about 30% of my weight to lose so PS is out of the question for now. Any solutions or advice?

I get a lot of yeast infections in skin folds that can turn into raw sores. I dust the area with Lotrimin powder (the stuff for athlete's foot) and that seems to help.

Masingil (spelling) chaffing gel/powder comes in a tube, light not greasy... powder doesn't work for me, this stuff is great. A tiny bit goes a long way. They have scented and regular. My Mom still prefers the powders though... everyone is different. Good luck in finding what works for you.

Trystelle:

I feel badly about this problem you're having, but on the bright side I've heard that when this happens sometimes insurance will cover the Tummy Tuck. I was joking with my Sister the other day that I hope that I get a recurring rash there, and if not, get me some brillo pads!

Actually though, you might want to start seeing a plastic surgeon now so that you can see what the possibilities are. In addition, it will be good to have medical records supporting this problem you're having if there's a possibility to get your tummy tuck covered.

Hope you have some relief soon.

Take care.

Sue

I would recommend the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce-Containers/dp/B000FKLKXQ/ref=pd_sim_dbs_hpc_title_1]Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel[/ame]. It's definitely soothing, isn't greasy or sticky and doesn't cake like powder. In the summer I tend to get itchy rashes and painful sores in my skin folds and this does wonders to control them.

Thanks ladies for all the practical solutions. I don't even want to think about PS yet. For some reason it scares me! I have some of the massingil gel, so I will try that and pick up some lotrimin powder. Thanks again!:rolleyes:

If you have a yeast infection the doctor can prescribe cream for you. Such was my case.

I avoid that by using special soaps. I can recommend brands: Bath and Body Works, Crabtree and Evelyn.

Luck.

I agree you should start seeing a doctor about it now. The better documented you have it, the easier it will be to get insurance to cover the PS later!

I agree you should start seeing a doctor about it now. The better documented you have it, the easier it will be to get insurance to cover the PS later!

Ditto, from me. This is very important. If you are insured this is what you will need documented by your personal doctor or ps. Even if you are not contemplating ps now, it might come in handy later if you change your mind.

I had a friend that worked in a ps office and when this occurs, insurance almost always has to pay for the tt. Because the tt becomes medically necessary and not just cosmetic.:biggrin:

I have a really flabby, deflated pannus. What I do aside from daily washing with antibacterial soap, and making sure it's completely dry after my shower, is simply to swipe deodorant under it. The deodorant keeps it dry and also keeps it from getting stinky (let's be real, it can get stinky just like anywhere else that sweats). I used to get a lot of irritation here, especially before I lost the weight, but now it doesn't bother me.

Oh, use a stick deodorant, and not a "wet" deodorant like roll-ons.

i normally put a hand towel underneath and wear very snug fitting underwear (or a sucker-inner depending on what im wearing for the day), but now that i've finally gotten more narrow, the towel buldges at the sides too much and just looks weird.

i guess i'll try the deodrant and see how that works. the towel worked very well for me for YEARS though..

I actually dry under my pannus (and, well, the whole inner thigh area too) with the hairdryer set on cool/low after drying my hair. I find it difficult sometimes to get it dry with enough under there with just a towel. And yes, the stick deodorant absolutely helps with the stinky -- which definitely happens. Especially in the summer.

I have a really flabby, deflated pannus. What I do aside from daily washing with antibacterial soap, and making sure it's completely dry after my shower, is simply to swipe deodorant under it. The deodorant keeps it dry and also keeps it from getting stinky (let's be real, it can get stinky just like anywhere else that sweats). I used to get a lot of irritation here, especially before I lost the weight, but now it doesn't bother me.

I use my husbands handkerchief folded---and I also used to use them under my breasts...no need now but it worked great!! also DO document document document....cannot stress this enough. Not having ps anytime soon but want to be ready if and when I choose to!! Another solution is to wear undies that fit!! The spandex kind w/cotton crotch by bali work great...a little on the costly side but I seen to be able to "arrange" my flab in them....