Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TLBC vs. SWLC

Hi I am looking into getting the Lap Band done, and wanted to know peoples opinions about the following 2 clinics, as I am not sure which one to use. TLBC (Toronto) vs.SWLC (Mississauga)

They both seem like very nice clinics, but I'm worried about follow-up care. One clinic spoke a lot about post op seminars, and tools to help you, yet another didn't mention much about that part, so I am a little confused on which clinic to use.

If you can help me with any insight that would be great.

I answered you in the Dr. Cobourn thread since you posted the same question in a few threads. Both are wonderful clinics, both offer great aftercare and follow up. I did consults with both and felt better with Dr. Cobourn so I went there. Pick the one that suits you best since we are all looking for different things from a clinic. You will be in great hands with either clinic.

I did a great deal of research before my surgery and felt that both clinics are excellent. I chose TLBC primarily because of location - my office is barely five minutes from the clinic so fills are very convenient. I have been very happy with my decision.

Although my pre-op consultation was with a different doctor, I did meet with Dr. Yau before my surgery. Recently, I had a very long conversation with him at social event and was immensely impressed with his compassion and commitment.

I had my band done at TLBC. The location is great for me. It is only 5 subway stops from my house. I have received great treatment from them and the fill nurse is fabulous at giving fills. You don't feel a thing!

I have heard that Dr. Coburn and his team do fabulous work, too, and that they are very caring, very supportive of their patients. I guess this may mean that your choice might boil down to price, location, and aftercare. A lifetime of aftercare was included in the price which I paid to TLBC.

While I think both clinics are very impressive, I really wanted to know peoples experience of the aftercare, and from what I have read both clinics have excellent aftercare ( which was my biggest concern) So I guess it really does just come down to price and location. I know there is a difference of $2,000 from clinic to clinic. So maybe this has helped me with my decision.

Regarding aftercare at TLBC - Immediately following surgery, the post op nurse called me daily to see how I was doing. Whenever I had a question, I received a call back within a few minutes. The fill nurse is very experienced and accurate. Hits the port with precision every time. Very quick and painless. I've been able to book fills, and one small defill, usually the same day. I feel sorry for some people I talk with on message boards who have to wait weeks, or more, to get fills (usually in the US) . The nutritionist is very helpful and accessible. There are other programs - seminars, support, etc., but I haven't availed myself of them yet. I believe they have recently added a psychologist to their program. The facility itself is quite deluxe. I feel pampered - kinda like a Rosedale matron getting a facelift!

Sno,

Just wondering if you are considering using the other newer Lap-band clinic in T.O.? I have been for a consultation at SWLC, but I am now considering going with CIBO.

Who in their right mind would want to be the guinea pig for an inexperienced band surgeon and that's exactly what you would get with CIBO. They have no proven follow up other than their verbal diarrhea they dish out. Ask for referrrals of previous patients, bet you they can't offer you that either.

Nothing like hijacking a question to self-promote your own clinic!!! You joined today and are already dissing the 2 most known clinics. Why not go to TCC or HRRH since they do the band as well. Obviously the original posted was undecided between the 2 they asked about, no need to interject with a 3rd unknown choice.

I was harmlessly suggesting there was another choice. I do not know of the other 2 clinics you just mentioned. No need to be nasty

Hi

I am considering all my options as I am from BC - I just heard back from the missasauga clinic and it is 16,000 she did say they have a contact in BC that can do the fills...

Between the clinics are they set up for the large size patient?

IT is hard to make a out of province decision - I have been considering the US just because they are closer than a trip across Canada.

Kat

I personally went with TLBC, it was my choice simply for convience. I am happy with my choice, but I have had a different experience altogether. I wasn't required to meet with the doctor until the day of the surgery and Dr. Yau was wonderful so were the coordinator that I dealt with in my first meetings. But at same time like the other poster, I did not recieve daily calls from the post-op nurse to see how I was doing, I wasn't even aware people got that, even though I asked several times what were the post-op care like and they always let me know if I needed help they would be there. Which they are of course. When I call, which is between 10 am and 1pm, I don't get a call back within minutes, its always within an hour or two. I don't mind this personally.

I had alot of great help from the nutritionist, with my preop diet. She stayed on the phone with me while I was shopping for diet shakes and helped get the right ones.

The only grievance I have is that recently I asked to speak with the doctor or a nurse, and was told that my request would be emailed to a nurse and she would call me back. I thought latest by the next day since I called earlier on the day. But I didnt receive a call until 3 days later.

I personally don't need alot of attention, just a question answered here and there. I am not sure if more care is provided to some patients due to thier personal experiences.

I wouldn't go anywhere else. But I just wanted to give you my personal experience with TLBC so far.

Hi E.L.

I have actually never heard of them till I came to this forum. A friend of mine in the industry recommended SLWC and TLBC to me, so they are the only 2 clinics I have checked out. What sold you on CIBO?

Thank you Anne

I just checked out the toronto site -- and will connect with them for information. Like you I am pretty low maintanence but I am in BC so I worry about follow up

Hi Katrinalud,

From what I have read on this forum, the SWLC Clinic seems to be affiliated with lots of Dr’s around the country that can help with your post op care, fills etc. So you might want to check them out.