Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airbrush Tanning

paula

Paula...been there done that at Bronze Body. Left orange streaks down the back of my legs...the girls that work at bronze body were actually taking bleach and Water trying to scrub the streaks of my legs...just my experience.....

OMG... Kelly!!!

Im really wanting a tan - these fat white legs are too blinding.

Ive had the laser treatment on my face & cant get into a tanning bed until MUCH later in the Spring, so THATs why I need an alternate way of tanning..... (sigh)

I know that some of the rub on tans don't streak...there was a list a while back in a magazine on which was the best...I will see if I can locate it for you!

I got a rub-on from Coppertone last summer that works really well. The trick is to apply evenly and sparingly. It will definitely darken up. Then wipe off excess around ankles, knees, elbows...and scrubb the palms of your hands well. I used "Coppertone (Oil Free) Sunless Tanning Lotion"..in Light/Medium. It is slightly tinted so it's easy to see where you've applied it.

I've also heard the spray tans leave you orange.

Marie,

I used the rub-on kind last summer too. And yes, they work! I think I used the Neutragena (sp?) brand.

Looks like I may have to use it again... I was trying to get a more even look - and one that last longer. (sigh)

I heard the air bush tanning stays for about a week.

oh no! I just re-read you post Marie... the spray-on leaves you orange???

Yuck!

I go to the tanning booth 2 times a wekk and have for years. I can not remember the last time I did not have a tan. I have never tried the spray on tan..I have heard it leaves orange stuff all over your clothes and is very streaky..

Ditto what Kellymoos said. I've done the Mystic Tan thing and it doesn't really look natural. Try the self-tanning lotions. It's kinda expensive, but Lancome makes a great one. Also as a tip----make sure you exfoliate REALLY well before using. It will make your new tan last longer and look more even.

You'll be a beach-baby before ya know it!

My sis in law does the spray on tanning. I helped her set-up her business some so I got to know a bit about it. Just like the self applied type-there are good ones and bad ones. Alot also has to do with the operator. But first and foremost, the customer has to come to the session without any moisturiser (sp.) on and needs to be exfoliated. The tanning solution only activates on the dead layers of skin-just like the self tanning solutions do. So if you have a moisturiser on it will prevent the tanning lotion from penetrating the skin evenly. The coloring process takes about 8-10 hours to fully darken. Washing off (showering/bathing)is not recommend till overnight.The tanning lotion has a colorant added for immediate coloration and to aid the applicator with an even coating. This colorant will rub off but will not affect the final color as long as the skin is not aggressively rubbed. Most of the problems of un-even-ness is actually caused by poor/no cleaning before the session. Practised applicators can help make up for some streakiness due to poor skin preparation by using activators or various tanning lotion strengths--never heard of bleach Water though. Also the brush on tanning applicator can help you get good coverage where you have skin covering skin-you probably get what I mean.... It was pretty interesting to learn that many of the hollywood people get the spray on tanning and have for years since you get a good tan without any UV exposure. The tan usually lasts 7-10 days or as quickly as your body gets rid of its outermost layers of skin. The solution is totally safe and is actually a type of sugar Water from cane --if I remember correctly.

The ones my sis-in law do look okay when first done and look great and natural after the shower the next day when the colorant is washed off.

Hope this little tidbit of info helps someone----I sure don't know why I remembered it all-guess part of my know-it-all---learn-it-all personality.

T

Kelly I have been doing this for years, that is porbably why I look so tan. I have always told my husband that tan fat looks better then whitefat. SOmething about having atan makes me feel so good!

I have done the spray tanning here in Arizona and it is called "mystic tans". Costs a heck of a lot and turned the bottom of my feet ORANGE and dingy looking! Plus, it left runs and streaks on the backs of my legs. (the staff told me I should buy a bottle of the spray for $49 and be able to "blend on my own time". Some of the tiny tiny girls I have seen do it have no problems but I think us biggie girls have a tougher time getting it wiped and blended as soon as the spray is over. As for me, I tried it 3 times. Nope, won't do it again. And I made sure I did all the spray tan precautions of exfolliation and no moisturizers, no purfume, etc. It was a mess on my clothes too, even though it is machine washable and comes off.

I need a tan on my pastey pale tail too..... but my older sister used a tanning bed for years and although she looked great in her 30's she looks like a piece of luggage in her 40's. I am going to do the Neutragena rub in tan this year.

Gl in your research! Let me know what you find out there as options!

I just wanted to clarify my post some--it seems that the spray on tanning most of you are talking about is a booth that sprays you. The airbrush tanning I am talking about is one that a technician with an airbrush sprays you with--hence probably the results difference everyone is experiencing. When you go to the airbrush technician set-up it is customized to your needs and wants--like not getting your hands and feet orange,getting all the hard to reach areas even, making areas darker or lighter then others.

In most areas the airbrush by a technician cost is about the same as the spray booths-also the technician applied way does not have any rubbing in or blending needed. You just stand there-be applied-wait a minute or so and then re-dress.

Hope this clarifies things some...

T

Big T,

Thanks for that information.

There is air bush tanning here in my area - and the mystic tan. I didnt realize that they were different.

So the air brush is better then the mystic?

Big T,

So the air brush is better then the mystic?

It can be--just be sure to ask how long the technician has trained and be sure to point out any body areas that are a concern to you. A skilled technician is hard to beat verses a machine that sprays everyone the same. A technician can adjust the formula for different areas, apply heavier or lighter where needed, and can even touch up areas that you are not happy with if they are too light or are streaky. None of this is offered with the machine application--to my knowledge.

Also many airbrush technicians are used to applying on MO people due to there shyness about using a tanning booth and its "striped" effect due to the way the body "folds" when laying down.

As with many things, getting a good technician is 3/4 of the results- the chemicals are about 1/4.

T