Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mississippi Republican presents bill to make it illegal to feed obese people

I am so upset after reading an article about a new bill that is before the house that would make it illegal for restaurants to serve obese people in Mississippi. What country do we live in now? I couldn't find the standards of what they would consider obese, but how would they enforce it? Where does it end, monitoring everything that fat people buy from the grocery store too? I'm just shocked and appalled!!!

I would like to read it too, Googled it and couldn't find it.

Here's a link to the article :smile:http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/02/bill-would-make.html

I wonder if they should also ban feeding people with high cholesterol, and people who are too short, and people who are lefties, this is completely ridiculous, and I would love to talk to these legislatures. Well this is the same government that considers obesity purely by height and weight and no consideration for muscle.

Freakin unbelievable. I would like to see what they consider obese. Stupid people

Here's a link to the article :smile:http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/02/bill-would-make.html

I wonder if they should also ban feeding people with high cholesterol, and people who are too short, and people who are lefties, this is completely ridiculous, and I would love to talk to these legislatures. Well this is the same government that considers obesity purely by height and weight and no consideration for muscle.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you look at my ticker below, when I get to my goal weight of 240, my BMI will still be 30. 30 is still considered obese. I'm 6'3", an athlete all my life, and have lifted all my life. My weight really got out of hand, but c'mon, I graduated h.s. at 250 as a starting tackle on the football team. That is just ridiculous.

As for that bill, there is no way it will ever get passed. I would imagine it is just some little hick legislator trying to get his/her name out there.

Why can't they put the effort and money into good food in schools? I've had lunch with my daughter a few days this year when I had time off, and it's ridiculous. Adults should be able to be accountable for what we eat, and I'm sure this bill won't pass...God help the US if it does.

I guess my point is: if the gov wants to get involved, get involved in the areas that they have the control - public schools. Cut out McD's in the cafeterias, rather than forcing adults to be humiliated by being turned away at restaurants.

Wow! That is whacked! Say good-bye to your civil liberties. First they went after the smokers, and now they are going after the fat folks. I guess there will be a scale in every restaurant.... I wonder what the policy will be on overweight chefs?

this is insane! i seriously doubt that this will get much further since it's pretty much crazy. what about all the fat congressmen? where will they eat? do they think they'll be able to get people to stand on a scale before they eat? would there be a fat bouncer? not a bouncer that's fat but a bounce that...bounces the fat people. this is crazy. but it's not like these government guys have anything else to worry about. (that was sarcasm by the way. not sure if it would come across in typed words)

That's insanity. It just sheds light on the discrimination against heavy people. I feel it and have felt it like most of you have in your lives. What's next? Do they force us into concentration camps to get thin? feed us with slingshots through a chain link fence? And knowing the nature of our society it won't end there, once you can discriminate against a body type you open a floodgate of possible discriminations. "sorry, you are too ugly to shop in our store, you are making our beautiful customers feel uncomfortable" sorry, but that irritates me:cursing:

The funny thing is the guy that presented the bill is 5'11" 230 lbs, thats a bmi of 32 which is considered what, what say it with me OBESE. Such a hypocrite.

The funny thing is the guy that presented the bill is 5'11" 230 lbs, thats a bmi of 32 which is considered what, what say it with me OBESE. Such a hypocrite.

Has anyone written to this guy and told him that? Can you see him trying to do his political duty and entertaining people from out of state or overseas, but he gets refused service at the restaurant?

Is it 1st April already and nobody told me?? :biggrin: