Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll- Pg when did you get unfilled?

Did you get unfilled with pregnancy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you get unfilled with pregnancy?

• Yes, right away!
    • Yes, between 8-12 weeks
    • Yes, between 13-18 weeks
    • Yes after 18 weeks
    • Yes but only a partial unfill
    • No I kept my fill.

Oh, my obgyn has never had a banded patient before either, but she's been my gyn for years, so I don't want to swap. She has no opinion on the fill, in fact she called me in a horsepill Vitamin.. and I had to remind her I couldn't take that.

And thanks :P

Fairy, congrats!!!! I'm my OB's first lapband patient too but she said she's had quite a few bypass patients and figures I should be much easier to handle. I guess we'll know if we need an unfill or not.

I'm 27 weeks now and no unfill as yet...

I don't have great restriction, but have noticed the past few weeks I'm not feeling all that hungry and have to remind myself to eat - I'm not sure if this is because everything's getting pushed up and squashed now.

Well I am now into my 5th month and the twins are doing great...no unfill and I can eat still, have gained 36lbs...which Dr. says is normal... big belly yeah! However I am having some liquid come back up at night when I am sleeping...maybe acid refulx...they say it is common with pregnancy... so I am going to ask my Dr. and prob have a unfill asap.

Hi all! I've been busy, but I'm trying to keep up with these boards again. I am 20 weeks pregnant and just got unfilled last week (at 19 weeks pregnant). My port was flipped so they actually had to do surgery (with no anesthesia). It sucked!!! But I hadn't been able to eat in three days so it was worth it. I NEED my band, though! I'm so worried about gaining too much weight!

I went in for a slight unfill because I was too tight. The fill nurse wanted to empty my band immediately because of the pregnancy. We negotiated to a half fill - which means I can eat anything and everything and I am hungryyy.

I tried to negotiate another fill and they said they would only do it monthly in .25 cc increments at their discretion . . . . so at that rate and if I am lucky, when the baby is six months old I might have restriction again.

I am sad that I wasn't able to have more say about where my fill level was with the pregnancy. A little restriction would not hurt and I do not have morning sickness. They keep saying healthy baby is the focus but I don't understand how the possibility of mom gaining out of control leads to a healthier baby.

Amazingly enough, I haven't gained more than a pound in the first three months, and it is not from not eating. It is almost as if my metabolism has changed after losing the weight.

I just had my unfill two weeks ago. I was really having a hard tie with morning sickness and not being able to thow up was becoming an issue. My ob was also getting worried because I had lost 8lbs since my first appt with her. My surgeon completely unfilled my bad, that is his policy on pregnancy. It is so starnge to be able to eat larger portions.

hi to all .. im 21 wks and no unfill yet .. i was going to go in for a unfill about 4 wks ago and doc said to try to purey food a few days and i did.. i can eat pritty normal .. i have a few meals a day and im still losing weight .. doc in tj sais its ok and doc in the usa want me to gain !?!? like i told the doc .. im eating a lot but in small portions trew the day ..

I had to have a complete unfill 2.5 weeks ago due to extreme tightness. At that time I only had 4 cc's in the band. My band doctor said they will not give me another fill until after the baby comes . . . so I guess I have a few months to go with a lack of fill.

Currently, I am still at a net loss since I conceived but I am pretty sure I will gain with my unfill in place. My hunger has returned with a vengeance.

I am due in 2 weeks. I debated on getting my band unfilled. The surgean who did my surgery is 6 hours from my home. I called somewhere locally to get the band unfilled; however would not because they had to do an x-ray and since I was pregnant that could not happen. Anyway, I got my band Sept 2005. I have read in a post that someone was being mean by saying that if you don't get your band unfilled that they hope you have a miscarriage. With people like that out there, no wonder our country is in the shape it is in. The decision not to unfill my band was a difficult one. The decision was not made because I was scared to gain weight. I gained 100 lbs with my 1st baby (before the band). I had many discussions with my OB/GYN and the Lap Band doctor. The Lap Band dr suggested I get the band unfilled before 5 - 6 months. IThe OB/YN was not concerned, eventhough I only gained 5 lbs the first 7.5 months. The OB/GYN was not concerned because the baby was gaining weight normally. I have not had any issues until recently and those issues are very mild. Like I said, I am due in 2 weeks and the baby is pushing up on the band that is causing some discomfort. However, at 8.5 months pregnant, most everything is uncomfortable. I have gained 11 lbs and get the necessary calories. At my doctor visit yesterday, my baby girl measured 8.5 lbs. Each circumstance is different.

Called my surgeon's office this week just to dbl checked and they confirmed that as long as morning sickness isn't an issue and I'm able to meet caloric guidelines, the fill can stay. So far my OB doesn't have an issue with what I'm eating or the amount of weight I've lost. In fact I'm up 3# in fluids, because I'm making myself drink more Water than I normally do and the increase hasn't adjusted out yet. I can eat & eat & eat... if I do it at night. :eek:

I think it all has to be seen in perspective. Since posting here that I'm knocked up, I've gotten several encouraging messages, and about 3 "hate mails" telling me how horrible I am for still having a fill, how I would deserve a miscarriage for starving my baby, how I should have the baby taken away from me, etc. That's so absurd. People with bypass have babies all the time, I know 3 personally, all of their babies are healthy (one is now 4 y/o) and if they're doing it right, a bypass patient isn't going to eat more than we can with a little effort. But WLS aside - we aren't the only ones who eat 1000 - 1200 calories a day. The BMR for the average build, females around 29, is 1200 - 1400. Granted that's BMR, so just factor in the difference and it's really not "super" different. You don't have to gain excessive fat during pregnancy to have a healthy baby. (So all you haters, stop sending me messages because I haven't gained 20 lbs @ 9wks.)

no one deserves to lose a child and as long as your child is seen growing normally on ultrasound you are fine. take your prenatal Vitamin daily and eating several small meals are fine,just concentrate on Proteins, fruits and veggies and Cereal. fruits like oranges and strawberries have folic acid which is very important for babies brain and spine,cereal also has folic acid and lots of Vitamins,Protein is good for building babies body tissue and also for mom's Iron level and healing amongst other things. people need to stop judging and keep evil comments to themselves. pregnancy is stessful enough lets be supportive. if you are losing too much weight during preg your ob doc will speak to you about it. if you need extra calories you can always drink ensure shakes,the provide excellent nutrition for the baby,which is the most important at this time but it is true you need only 300-400 extra calories it is not really true you are eating for two people.you are eating for a little baby which the value of the food counts more the huge amts. so eat healthy and you should be fine.

I haven't been on here in years, but I just wanted to make a quick comment. I was banded Sept 2005, got pregnant Aug 2006 & had a complete unfill at OB's request. Got re-filled when baby was about 4 months old (2.0 cc) and got pregnant again Sept 2008.

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and have not had an unfill. I can't afford to b/c my employer changed insurance companies, and my band doctor does not take the insurance that I have now. My OB hasn't said anything about getting unfilled. I have to go to a high risk OB in addition to my regular OB, and the high risk dr does ultrasounds to measure the baby once a month. The baby is growing just fine, and my regular OB is happy about that. I have only gained 8 pounds so far, but as long as the baby is growng normally, everybody is happy.

I'm 8w1d and I had my first pregnancy related unfil yesterday. Got rid of about 0.3 cc and i'm already feeling better. Before i got pregnant i was feeling like i'd loosened up, but since the pregnancy i've definitely gotten a bit tighter. I may need more out in the future, but for now i'm good.

They said as long as i'm not vomiting it's up to me. If i do start vomitng they want me in immediately and may have to unfill. Once the vomiting passes they're fine with putting liquid back in. I like their flexibility and at this point, i know my band better than anyone so i feel good that i get to drive the decision making.

I am only about 5 1/2 weeks and I got an unfill today of 1.8cc. I was sooo tight that yes Fluid was going down but sooo slowly. I am soo nervous about this pg its my first and I have been ttc for 8.5 years. I did the surgery to help me loose enough weight so that I could get pg without treatments and guess what it happened. I am so happy I have everyone here to help me with my questions.

Hey Sim78! Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm over 20 weeks now and haven't needed another unfil since that first one at 8 weeks. I've been really happy with my fill level. It's definitely looser than i used to keep my band, but it has been a good level and lets me get everything i need. And my weight gain has been really reasonable so it's still keeping me honest. I"m halfway through my pregnancy and so far i've gained about 7 lbs and the baby is growing great, so i'm happy!