Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Brooklyn??

Looking for Brooklyn, NY recommendations. Want lap band through belly button.

I am just starting to investigate lap band surgery. I am 59, 5'1 and weigh 200 pounds. I am diabetic with hypertension. Have a great life but I used to be small and cute and can't stand this. Have been this heavy or close to it over the last 10 years. It sucks.

Looking for suggestions or personal recommendations for resident of Brooklyn, NY . Is it hard to get insurance companies to agree?

I am just starting to investigate lap band surgery. I am 59, 5'1 and weigh 200 pounds. I am diabetic with hypertension. Have a great life but I used to be small and cute and can't stand this. Have been this heavy or close to it over the last 10 years. It sucks.

Looking for suggestions or personal recommendations for resident of Brooklyn, NY . Is it hard to get insurance companies to agree?

This is exactly me. My PCP referred me for lap band through Dr.Fielding at NYU. I rejected it at first because I would like to be able to do this on my own.

However, I'm getting heavier . I'm 52, 5'2 and 250lbs. I can't believe it :eek:. I also have HBP and now high cholesterol.

I have GHI and Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield...anyone else with that coverage that got approved?

I'm hesitant to start the ball rolling just to be denied after a long haul.

Aprrox. how long does it take to be approved? if at all

I know everyones case is different , just looking for avgs.

I have Empire BCBC and was approved. I had to do the 6 month doctor monitored diet though, so if you are seriously considering it, I would get working on it now! I don't think the NYU office takes GHI, I could be wrong. Once I had everything together, it took be less than a week to be approved. I would go to NYUs website and look at the dates for the Info Session - you have to go to it and you will get a LOT of info there!

Also, when i first went to talk with the surgical coordinator there, she told me that most patients with BCBS get approved. If you want, heres a timeline for your info:

Feb 08 - started thinking about band

March - Sept 08 6 month diet

Dec 08 - NYU Seminar

Jan 09 - Psychiatrist, Nutritionist, and Surgical consultation (all through NYU)

Late Jan 09 - BCBS Approved

Feb 2 2009 - Surgery!

Of course, you could probably start the process now and have surgery in 6months, but I waited around thinking about things a lot so it took me a year!

Thank you very much for your response.

I tried calling BC/BS , but talk about a run around . I never got anyone on the phone just referred to 1 # after another that referred me back to the previous recording.

I am still sitting on the fence about the surgery but I will make an appt and go to the seminar.

I really hate thinking that I have to resort to surgery. If they tell me I have to do a 6 month diet like I haven't done that before :thumbup: maybe I'll lose enough to do it on my own.

Yeah, I understand. Calling BCBS was a PAIN. I called them quite a few times until I got someone competent, but they aren't bad because it didn't take long for me to be approved and since they deem WLS "medically necessary" they are really nice about everything once you are approved.

Go to the seminar, and see how you feel about things. It's about 2 hours and it really solidified the idea for me so it may help you make a decision one way or another.

I am!!! From Marine Park, Dr. Gorecki @ methodist is my surgeon, and I'm scheduled to have it done this thursday 5/7/09... Please let me know who did yours, and how your progress is...

Sarah

I'm from Kensington, I had mine done by Dr. Fielding at NYU in August, so far I've lost 68 pounds, some lose alot faster but I'm happy with my progress, slow but steady. I'm so happy with my band as I know you will be.

LindaGail

They changed my date by 2 weeks, Has anyone else been through this?????????? they're saying my notes are all wrong and that something to do with my insurance.... :unsure:

How's everyone doing?

I'm still sitting on the fence about the surgery. Getting fatter by the minute. I got started thinking about it again yesterday after I noticed that a center opened within walking distance of my home on Flatlands avenue that has a bariatric care program meaning that they do the surgery. It's called Advanced Bariatric care in Canarsie.

My PCP recommended Dr.Fielding but this would be so convenient for me. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what they say but I see Dr. Fielding has great reviews.

I have to do something about this weight. My life is being ruined by this ongoing weight battle.:):crying:

Hey all I also live in brooklyn. Am pre surgical. I have to lose 30 lbs before I can get a date. I've meet with the nutritionist and the surgeon, I have to attend the seminar on 7/29, and have a follow up appointment with MD on 8/7, I was told that if I have lost at least half of the 30 lbs by then they will scedule me for the next available date. Crazy but good I guess.

I'm day 4 of my liquid diet and I'm going crazy craving food, not saying I'm necessarily hungry but I want the foods I can't have. Am deathly afraid of surgery but believe that getting fatter and dying young would be worse.

Looking for a support group, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks All....

Ericka

HI BJ,

I had my lapband done by Dr Fielding at NYU. He did a single incision thru the navel. Dr Fielding & the whole surgical team at NYU are great. Suggest you attend one of their seminars.

Like you, I used to be 'small & cute', but over the years (I'm 60) ballooned up to over 200 lbs. I was banded on Jun 8, had my second fill today, and so far, have not had any problems, and am able to eat most foods (steak, shrimp, salad, calamari). That may change after today's fill, but I am working hard to remember to eat slowly & chew, chew, chew...

Wherever you choose to have your surgery, be sure that it is a 'center for excellence', as you want an experienced surgeon for the proceedure.

Good luck!

Joan

hi my name is dawnitha and i live in brooklyn bedford stuyvesant Sumner Houses but i use to reside in new haven ,conn.i was banded on april 2010. how have things been with you.

Hi my name is dawn and my dr was dr gorecki and i was banded on april 2010. How is everything going with you