Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elliptical Machine??

Anybody use an elliptical machine in their workouts? What level do you use? How long/how far do you go?

I've been using one for about 3 weeks and haven't lost/gained any, and maybe I need to kick it up some? I'm also doing step aerobics, strength training, and yoga.

I've been using it on levels 3 and 5 for 35 minutes going betweek 2.5 and 3.7 miles. I feel like I'm running on it, but who knows!

Any suggestions? I've been pleateaued for about 2 months and I still have another 75 or so lbs to go! HELP!

I love the elliptical and vary it with treadmill, weight lifting, pilates, and running. You could do some interval stuff. I have several good sprint intervals and intensity intervals I could PM you if you email me. What I have found is that your body (at least MY body) gets used to a machine in a few weeks and so I have to vary intensity often...like daily...keep switching it up...so that I can get some good workouts in. I usually keep my pace about 135-170 steps per minute (vary that up and down) and go for 60 mins. I can get in 4.5 miles if I keep up that pace. According to my body bugg, I can burn between 650-800 cals in that hour at that pace, so it's totally worth it for me! If you want those programs that I copied from a fitness mag, just email me: rharriet@gmail.com.

Rose

Thank you, look for my email soon! I appreciate it!

Hi. I asked this question to the nurse earlier this week. I told her my weight is stuck she told me to add more Protein and more Water, so I did but I bought the tubes of IDS Liquid Protein the one that has what 46 grams of protein in it and lowered the water just to see how this would work and let me tell you I blasted off the pounds that would not budge, I have more bowel movements and my belly is flatter. I work out daily and walk 2 -3.5 miles per day weather permitting that is and I have lost tons of inches. My surgery was in September 2007 I have lost 81 pounds to date and my size was a 24 plus and now it is a 16 misses heading to a 14. I have nice curves like in the old days and I have not really lost much in the breast area. I bought me the Bean in december and wow that really does help, I do palates, squats, kneee bends , leg lifts, sissors and tons of ab crunches, I also have a real nice gazelle and I am going to get me a better version of the Total Gym but it is called the Vigor Fit, it is cheaper but better made and you get all the attachments needed. I was told that the one Chuck Norris sells is so expensive only due to all the hype and his name being with it. I know that once I have the Vigor Fit that my weight will really fly and get tones up at the same time. Good luck and don't give up. Oh I am not a spring chick I will be 55 in a few more months and if I can get my fat to move anyone can.

WOW, way to go Sharon. What is the Bean? I'm just now realizing that I can move and I'm so happy about it! I can't wait until my lbs start dropping again! I'll try the Protein and Water thing this week.

You know, we all ventured out to change the way we looked, for health or for other reasons. The surgery was expensive for most, for me the insurance covered it all. Why not make the best of it and you know, it is hard very hard. I am worn out but I keep on going. I bought me my first ever pair of Levi jeans a size 16 and to some that might sound like a big size but for me when you came from a size 24 it is a huge diffference and my size 16 makes me feel like it is a size 12. As for the Bean, it is a blow up thing that will hold up to 800 pounds of weight so I read today but I really think it holds the 400 pound person, you blow it up, it comes with a foot pump and it is very durable not cheap like somethings are. It comes with tons of exercises and a DVD to watch as you work out, today I was up at 4:30 AM could not sleep so I took it out of its storage area in my home and hopped onto it, you are to rock back and forth in it. Walmart, Target etc sells it. I alos do all of the following, pilates and I use the slings that I bought at walmart for like 10.00, I do leg lifts side lifts, sissors and yep they hurt, I do squats and deep knee bends and I bust my gut doing the ab crunches, I walk and yes I can even run now and it feels so good. I have a bad knee but I have been doing my on PT at home and it is so much better. I have a treadmill but it is on loan at the moment to a freind of mine and I use my Gazelle by Tony Little and well it all works ad it takes me over an hour to work it all in. We can do this for we are all strong minded and we will not fail. It might take others longer than it has been with me but that is because I am my own worst enemy and I am hard on myself. I do drink my Protein and take the suppliments as told by my Dr. Have you tried the IDS 42 grams of Protein yet, if not go and find some and buy it, it tastes good and it will help you in losing weight, just 2 a day and drink your Water. I will say that I have 3 1/2 cc's in my band and I am restricted all right, I have trouble getting foods down even Water at times but I wait and try it again, today was a good day I only threw up once normally it is about 3 or 4 times per day. the band is in good shape, it has not shifted, prolapsed or moved the Dr. said it is fine. I don't think I will have a fill on the 19th, because I really think like the nurse that anymore and I will become too restricted. Sorry about being so detailed but in the line of work I am in I have to be detailed. Good luck to you and don't give up and good luck to everyone else. e-mail me at sharrroc@aol.com whenever you need someone to shout out at.

Go Patroits

Sharon, I'm as tight as at times. How long have you had your band again? I can't wait until I can run. I'm looking forward to those 16s too! I know exactly what you mean. I started out a size 30!

I use cardio coach on the elliptical (Cardio Power Fitness Music | Download Workout | Cardio Music Workouts | Cardio MP3 Downloads for iPods). It really pushes you to get the most out of it and that was how I got fit enough to begin running despite my sore heel. These days I'd go from resistance of 8 or so for the easy low heartrate stuff up to 19 for the intervals, but I barely ever go to a gym.

Ellipticals are great exercise, and a great cardio choice if you want non impact. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought one instead of a treadmill so that I can have a no impact option at home. But they never burn as many calories as they say they have, so dont rely on that. Dont think you've burned 1200 calories in a half our workout becuase its really not likely that you have.