Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What things hamper your weight loss?

Penni60

Recently I felt attacked by someone and this type of behavior in the past would have sent me spiraling down into a deep dark depression of binging and purging. I have elected to take the higher road and not let this behavior undermine what I have accomplished to date.

I will say that this type of behavior is what I was so hoping to rid myself of. I see now that this will never be the case. I will just have to understand there are these types of people in the world. I can't change their behavior nor can I change the way they treat me.

I CAN change the way I react to that behavior. I also choose to not participate in the communication interchange which makes me feel attacked. Again I say I have taken the higher road and will keep striving for the brass ring.

Thanks for reading. Just my own personal rantings. I am so happy I have this forum to vent like this.

Boy, Penni, do I understand!! I've come to the conclusion that those individuals are the ones that have to face themselves each night when they go to bed.

I strive to encourage others and see no sense in trying to undermine or destroy someone else. What purpose does it have? We're all responsible for our own actions.

Rejection.... ANY type.

Thats what hampers my weight loss.

When things are running smooth in my daily life, I can do well with my eating.

I think we classify this as emotional eating.

no exersize.

My weight loss is hampered right now, so I started walking on wednesday. Calories are good. I'm even allowing myself the occasional treat, and still not blowing up my calorie intake. Last time I started exersizing I was in my first plateau, and wasn't losing anything, and I walked for three weeks and still didn't lose anything, so I quit walking. I got a fill that started my loss again, but I never picked up the walking. I can't take another fill now (that would be too much), so I've started walking. I'm hoping that I'll start seeing loss soon and my head will equate that with the walking and so I'll have motivation!

:)

If something upsets me I will put sugar on any food and eat it, even if it's not meant to be sweet. Sugar definitely hampers me. But, I'm working on it from the inside out...

But back to Penni's original question, I don't think she was talking about certain foods, I think she's talking about the type of situations that hamper our weight loss. For me, Anger is the best diet pill. It's about the only emotion that prevents me from eating. All the other emotions - sadness, loneliness, anxiety - they all make me eat.

I think this thread is the result of nonsense happening in other threads, and I feel I've been verbally attacked, too. Lucky for the board, I was so busy that I didn't have time to fight, but I "dealt with" the situation late last night via PMs so nobody else had to hear the ugliness.

I might have responded to this thread a lot stronger yesterday, but I'm not in PMS mode yet. If I got this question closer to my montly cycle, I probaly would have typed it in huge red fonts! As far as hampering my weight loss, yes, yes, yes, I do allow outside forces to control my urges.... wait, Donali, I change that to "I can't help but allow outside forces" cuz I'm one sick broad! xo

I think the one thing that really slows my weight loss is my friends. Not that they are forcing food in my mouth, but they are all overwieght and eat what they want when they want. It is really hard for me to go out to eat with them and order the chicken breast and veggies when they are all ordering something so good. We all eat together about 1-2 times a week and I have no will power when I am with them. It has nothing to do with them and I am not blaming them by any means. I myself have to get out of the habit of rewarding myself with food and be strong enough to order the low cal entree on the menu. I live in a suburb of Dallas and we have over over 40 sit down restaraunts. This does not include fast food. They are too many too count. We have 4 restaraunt rows in my city and at least 4 McDonalds in my city alone, so you can imagine how easy it is to get something to eat. I rarely have time to cook with my schedule so I eat out a lot. For some reason when I am with my friends my band doesn't work! I'm sure it is all mental and mostly just out of habit, but thank god I am working on it. I have a friend coming to visit tonight who likes to eat so I have been preparing myself all day that I will order low fat off of whatever menu we get! It's all a mind game and we have to find out what it is that can trigger our good eating on a meal to meal basis.

Kim, I hear ya! Friends make it the hardest. I'm the only fat one in my inner circle, but still, everything revolves around food. Sometimes when talking doesn't help, I bread down and cry and beg for their help. Maybe you can muster up some big, sad, tearfilled eyes, look at your closest heavy friend in the face, and ask her, "do you think we can start sharing an entre' because I'm scared to death that I might hurt my band?" Maybe she'll actually see a wet sparkle in your eyes that will inspire her to share a meal, which will benefit you both? Just remember not to point fingers at them, point them at yourself so they don't feel blamed.

That's a good idea. These are the type of girls like I used to be, making fun of our fat and not caring in the world what we ate. I have started the whole getting a to-go box and putting half of my food in it before I even start and that is helping and they aren't looking at me like I am crazy when I order something decent and just half it. The understand about the band and I really wish some of them would look into it, but would never tell them that. I feel they already look at me differently when I tell them about my weight loss. It is probably all in my head. I was thinking about this thread over the weekend and decided I can be the only one who hampers my weight loss and have made a better effort to realise when I am about to fall back into old habits. This thread has helped me a lot! They are my habits and I can be the only one to break them!