Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

Just because you were born heavy has nothing to do really with being fat now. Least I don't think so.

I wasn't born heavy, as a matter of fact I was just under 5lbs when I was born. I soon caught up with where I was supposed to be and then passed it. I was a chubby kid and a fat teenager. Fatter young woman and went on the pill and got even fatter. I lost 50 lbs and gained it back with my pregnancy. That was in '97/'98. I finally got tired of being fat and having the doctor tell me every time I went in for something that it was fat related. No matter what it was, it was always fat related. I finally got up the courage to ask her about bypass surgery. I about fainted when she said okay and referred me. Now I am on the right track with the help of my new tool. I fall off the wagon every now and then, especially during the "hell" period, but I got back on it today and I plan to stay on it for a long time!

wow, there's so many replies to this post! can't read them all. but why am i fat?

cause i am.

now my story: i weighed 10 lbs when i was born! was ok til about 5th grade, that's the first time that i knew i was bigger than average. i heard these girls talking about how they were like 100 lbs or something and i was like "omg i'm 125!" life was ok for me in spite of that. until high school. my mom has bi-polar but it was undiagnosed then. she took all of her pain out on me, and hid it from my dad. i was miserable. my mom called me a fat bitch. i don't think you can really hate yourself until something like that!! but i always went between 170 and 190 in high school and through 4 years afterward. then i got on to crystal meth for a couple of months. i was just under 160 when i quit screwing around with that and got back with my first bf. then we broke up and life was miserable again! i would work all day and only eat maybe two sandwiches in those 12 hrs. but i looked forward to getting off work and hitting up whatever fast food restaurant i was craving and ordering enough food for 3-4 people. i would watch tv and eat and omg, it was like a drug fix! i actually rock when i'm binge eating, like i'm in a rocking chair. you know how some people talk about "omg i just drove all the way home and don't remember! i hope i didn't run a red light!" well, for me it was like "omg i just ate 2 burgers, some nuggets and fries and i don't even remember! i hope i didn't eat someone's hair!"

2 years and over 100 lbs later, my mom has been diagnosed and treated, and our relationship is 100% better. i'm doing a whole lot better too, my life is on track, i've gotten myself out of debt, and have met the guy i'm probably going to marry. and now, because of my wonderful parents, i have been given the gift of lap-band!

i don't know why i felt compelled to tell my story here. maybe it's because i read all of yours, or maybe it was just time to get it off of my chest. i've never told ANYONE just how much i used to eat. i got myself to a point where diet & excercise aren't going to be enough because they weren't when i weighed 190! and now i'm here, and i'm happy, and...yeah! LOL. the end?

i don't know why i felt compelled to tell my story here. maybe it's because i read all of yours, or maybe it was just time to get it off of my chest. i've never told ANYONE just how much i used to eat. i got myself to a point where diet & excercise aren't going to be enough because they weren't when i weighed 190! and now i'm here, and i'm happy, and...yeah! LOL. the end?
Well done for telling your story. I think that there is something cathartic about putting it out there, that does us good, no matter what our story is. I know it was one of the first titles that drew my eye when I came to this board last October, but it was months before I posted in this thread. I circled around it a lot and came in to start, only to chicken out and leave. I thought about my answer for a long time before I felt comfortable enough to respond, even though I was spouting off left, right and centre in other threads.

It is an awesome question that, if taken seriously, cuts right to the heart of the matter and can be the inspiration for some deep reflections and self-insight.

i grew up something similar to that. I've always had enough to eat but my family believed in that saying eat ALL yourfood as well..but, look where it has gotten me..I'm 345 lbs and 19 years old and ready to make a change. I should not be this size AT ALL! I want to become 145..that's just great for me...it puts me at a healthy weight.

Because this is a safe place...

I have been inspired by all the stories I have read....I really don't know exactly why I got to this point other than I like to eat. I have always been active in sports and in High School was great at soccer. I was a size 18 when I graduated High School, but don't know how much I weighed and did not feel huge, just thick. Two years out of high school I know that I lost weight because I was poor, no money to eat regularly so I went to school, worked and jogged for fun. Two years after that I went up to a size 20/22 I still don't know how much I weighed. I was 220 the year before I got pregnant with my first child. I lost 60 of it by phentramin and exersise(starvation again, but I did not know better) I got pregnant in 1996 and weighed 175. I gained like 65lbs for my first child and never looked back.

My biggest addition is/was fast food. I would always, and I mean always order way too much. My latest has been McDonalds I would get between 5-10 chicken nuggets, a double cheese burger, large fries, and a large coke. As I would eat it I could just see my arteries clogging and would often think how awful it would be to keel over with that much food in me.

Some (maybe not all, but I don't care to over-think this) reasons for my obesity:

a traumatic childhood (sexual & physical abuse) - I used food for comfort and numbing (but I can't go on blaming my past for my overeating - I have to take responsibility for it NOW)

adult depression & anxiety - I used food for comfort, numbing, and stress relief

a family history of obesity (a big factor, I think)

I love food and I'm a great cook (modest, too)

no exercise

bad eating habits and laziness (I know, we hate to be called lazy, but what else do you call it when planning a healthy meal in advance is too much trouble when you can zip through the McDonald's drive-thru?)

That's my take on it, anyway.

Jean

Why am I fat? Well, let's just take a moment to look at the picture here. From the time I was born until I was married I was actually underweight. I got married and by our 1 month anniversary I was eating eating and eating. come to find out, I was pregnant. Told my family, they were thrilled, told my in-laws they were upset. My (now)ex-sister-in-law went as far as asking if I'd give my baby to her and her husband since she wasn't able to concieve and had been trying for several years. I think it was then my inlaws starting disliking me. My now exhusband and I would argue constantly, I'd turn to food cause I wasn't allowed to defend myself. By the time I had my first child (she was born on my 20th birthday) I had gained atleast 70lbs. I never really tried to lose the weight. Then I become pregnant with my 2nd child and gained up to another 100lbs, again, I never tried to lose the weight. My marriage is just a state of running through motions for the longest, so to hide my pain and stay in denile, I still turned to food.< /p>

My ex left in 05 and I lost ALOT of weight. I vowed not only would I keep it off, I'd take more and more off until I was back to what I weighed when I met him...130lbs. Then, I met my (now) husband and have a wonderful life. I have lost some of the weight that I had put on and taken off and put back on again. But, every now and again, I find myself upon the scales it (I honestly think it's broke because) it keeps going up a pound at a time.

Anyways, Why am I fat? 1. I gained to much weight with my pregnancies and never tried to take it back off. 2. I had a horrible marriage and turned to food to tune him and his family out. And 3. I just didn't care anymore.

Now, I care and I want this weight off and I'll have it off and keep it off with the help of a little friend of mine called "THE LAPBAND"

Why am I fat? Lazy--plain & simple. Weight management takes dedication, commitment and discipline. All of my weakest attributes. Oh, and I really, really do like food -- fixing it, smelling it, eating it, etc.

Why am I fat? Lazy--plain & simple. Weight management takes dedication, commitment and discipline. All of my weakest attributes. Oh, and I really, really do like food -- fixing it, smelling it, eating it, etc.

I'm with you on that one! Plain and simple - lazy. I can honestly say that I can not find any time in my schedule to exercise anymore. I am trying to raise 5 girls, work a full time job, and finish up my college degree ~ so with that being said ~ I am actually doing good to eat durning the day. I feel like that my parents freaked out when I was young and I started gaining weight, so that has some mental issues with me. I think that if I am skinny (ier) that I would be happy (ier). Does that make since? I used to like to cook but now I feel like it's a chore!

lazy and love food. the question is, if it were that simple I could lose weight. As I go through this process I think it might be more. depression, unfulfilled marriage (hard to admit) job.

I always think that if only I lost weight I would be happy, but? I have finally came to the conclusion that I need help. I will discuss my depression with my Doc. and go from there.

I hate playing the blame game and will see what options I have.(meds, counseling)

You know what, I think that if I was to loose weight that I would be happy. I have blamed me being unhappy on my weight all my life. I work with a lady who is over weight like I am but she lives life to the fullest. She doesn't let her size get in the way of her doing what she wants. Now only if I could do that ~ I think I would be happier.

The only way to change ANYTHING is to change SOMETHING!!! Step one step out of your current comfort zone----start living your life NOW! Don't wait to lose the weight!

The biggest part of being happy is simply deciding to be. Pick something you want to do, if it is to see a movie, go see it! If you normally don't go to movies alone, just try it one time!

Adopt a dog, and start taking daily walks!

Take a class--be it stained glass, or japanese cooking---anything, don't let your size stop you---soon your size will be less, but you're never going to get today or tomorrow back again!

Volunteer somewhere, it does not have to be long, and you can even begin somewhere where you are not in the public eye. Senior Citizens centers, or nursing homes, they always need help, and those people will not care if you have 20 or 200 pounds to lose, if you smile at them and talk to them! Or if even they intimidate you---try the animal shelters!!! Dogs and cats really don't care about our size!

As you take baby steps out of your comfort zone, you find new ways to entertain yourself, besides the TV and food! And you can really begin to enjoy your life now!

Making the inside you happy will make making the outside happy much easier I think!

Good Luck!!

Kat