Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Habits Resumed After Lap Band?

I was wondering if anyone has had the lap band and drank liquor or smoked cigarettes after. I love having a drink now and then. I am two weeks into my pre op diet. Although, I am not missing liquor now I don't see a future in which I never have a drink at a social event again. Thanks for your honesty.

I am not a big drinker, but I do have a drink once in a while. And I still smoke cigarettes (never quit). I did just start Chantix though, so I'm going to try to quit :D

I am not a big drinker either but Do have a glass of wine every now in then , watch out for anything carbonated. I quit smoking prior to surgery and its been over a yr now . My doc required it.

Good luck on the Chantix i have heard good things about it .

People have good luck with it .

Mindy

I have to find a new drink. I usually either get a white russian or rum runner. Too many carbs in both though. Can't do crown and 7 because of carbination. I don't care for wine but that may end up being my best choice.

I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner once in a while or if we go out, but since surgery I've only had 1 glass on two separate ocassions.

In the summer when it's hot, I dont always enjoy wine, so we make a drink with crystal light, vodka, a splash of cranberry juice. Gotta look for ways to cut the calories!

I am not a big drinker and between only drinking about once a yr and the lapband it takes about half a glass of wine before I get tipsy . LOL

It does not take much espically after surgery to get ya tipsy .

Mindy

I drink on the weekends but I can no longer drink beer. I've swiched to wine and I get a buzz much faster. I quit smoking before surgery but I started back about 2 weeks after. I will quit soon but now I am adjusting to my new eating habits.

I have the exact same bad habits I had before.

I really struggle with sweet carb foods like cakes, muffins, Cookies. I drink WAY too much coffee. I probably drink more alcohol than is wise for weight loss, though I'm well within health recommendations and only drink wine. I tend to not eat meals and pick all day. I've even picked up another bad habit I never had - I'm a Breakfast skipper. I still eat when I'm not hungry, but bored, stressed etc.

The difference is I handle those things better, do less of them and blow out far less when I do indulge. And there's ONE thing above all else that has negated a lot of these bad habits - running. Run an hour a day and you gain quite a lot of dietary freedom. The band takes care of the portion sizes so although my diet could be better, its not one that makes me obese like it once was.

Who says you can't drink with your band??? The only problem with drinking is that it has too many calories and you should cut your calories intake, but it's the same if you're just on a plain diet anyway, isn't it?

I drink every now and then: red wine, champagne, beer, ... - but I try to do it only when I go out with friends (my friends don't know I'm banded) or at family special dates (birthdays, marriages ), etc. I try not to make a habit out of it and I try to stick to the rule: «One small drink only».

Just like solid food, it's all in the quantity. I still eat many things I used to, but now I try to stay with small portions, instead of those HUGE portions I used to gobble down...

niki

That is how I would like to live my life after the band also. Is it working for you? Are you continuing to lose weight? Thanks. Jackie

During my consult, the Doc said that it's fine to drink a glass of wine as it relaxes your stomach. I got the impression that it's all about the empty calories, as opposed to the alcohol itself.

I think there are a lot of people that have what is being called "addiction transfer'. A person who is addicted to food: then when that is taken away they transfer their addictive behavior to something else. ex: drugs, boose, sex, shopping, gambling and many other things. I think that is a big reason they don't think drinking is a good thing. Other than the obvious calories...