Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate my Doctors office.

Well lets start from the top. Back in December I made a appointment for my doctors office to talk about my weight with them again. I haven't Been in about a year..Been pretty healthy. So when I got in they took my weight. I gained 37 Pounds..wtf? anyways. When The doctor came in I told him what I was here for to try to do something with my weight ( since they never helped me there) The doctor was all for the lap band and gave me the number to call the surgen. Everything went well. Went to the seminar, and the dietician between December and Now. Yesterday I had another appointment with my doctor again. why? I don't know. I had called about getting my paper work faxed to the surgen office that I will come down to fill out the paper work. She told me I prob need the referrl. So thats why I had another appointment. Go in ( had been dieting for a month now) Only lost 1 pound. Thats to start my day. When the doctor came in it was one I never had. I thought they were busy and taking whoever...sooo I had to explain my story to him to have him understand and he kept cutting me off. He asked if I tried diet pills. ugh Yeah...and I was having seizure when I took them. I told him I wanted the lap band He said "What a waste of money. everyone i knew who had that only lost 10 pounds and the fills are like $500 bucks everytime" he then asked me if i planned on any kids. I said in the future maybe but now. "well i dont know how that surgery will effect pregnancy" I told him pregnancy was fine. He then said "well i will refure you to him, but i dont agree with it" um..he doesnt even know me or my history." he then said well you'll need blood work done. well fax it to him. um okay? So I came in at 7am to have blood work..They took like 3 things of blood. then I go to the ladies up front and told them I didnt think the doctor understood that I need paper work released and a letter of nesscesity. She said " well I will put it on his desk for you and see if he'll do it." wtf? I then told her "well, he better do it or I had freaking blood work done for nothing"

Just so mad...they will be the ones to mess up my change of surgery. And yes when I am mad..i can't spell. Forgive me..lol

Any advice?

Don't give up! It will be worth it. Your doc is wrong. I have lost 120 lbs in less than a year. I would insist on getting back in to talk to your regular doc if there is a problem with the paperwork. You may also want to consider changing docs, since it seems the one you saw has little knowledge of the medical condition called morbid obesity and its current treatments. Shame on him! He sounds like the kind of guy, that if you go in with a rash or a sprained ankle, he's gonna tell you its because you need to lose weight! Some people, even doctors are biased against MO folks and can't see beyond it. Doesn't make for a very good doctor!

It will be okay! I fired my family physician. I wrote them a letter and let them him know how dissapointed I was in the level of care I recieved and that the nurse talked down to me and was unprofessional. You might consider doing the same if you don't feel your getting adequate care. It is important to have medical staff for support. My new dr. is great, very supportive and understanding. Good Luck

I switched to my daughter's doctor when I decided the band for for me. He had seen the results she achieved and was an enthusiastic supporter of LBS. He interviewed me in depth (1 1/2 hours) to be sure he had my complete health history and could adequately document co-morbidities. When I left, he said, "soon you will have the body that matches the rest of you!" and said that he felt it was part of his job to be sure that my insurance supported me in getting the health care I needed. In other words, a dream doctor (by the way, he is Canadian, now practicing in US.)

Message is, as Jack said, line up the medical help you need to get you the treatment you deserve. Go on the regional boards and ask for referrals from other lap band patients if necessary. There are a lot of jerks in the medical field; having an MD after your name definitely doesn't make you a wise person! Work to get the assistance you deserve from the medical community,.

MY wife had the same problem with here primary doctor. We tried to get them to do a letter etc. We even wrote it and all they had to do was verfy the weights etc. Well he said in the letter he could not do it because of hippa and he was in charge of all the records. So we went to her OBGYN and got all the weights and approval and within 30 minutes of the lapband doctor sending in the letter she was approved and the rest is history for us. If you would like to see the letter e-mail me and I will forward you a copy. Today she went to our new doctor for the 2nd time since are first doctor fired us as pt. and she had her insulin changed to once a day, here bp meds reduce and taken off byetia. The new doctor is pro lapband and understands what we are trying to do. If you have any questions just ask.

Chris

well as far as I know they haven sent in my files or letter yet. I called and they said it should be done by today. right.....they've had over a week now.

well as far as I know they haven sent in my files or letter yet. I called and they said it should be done by today. right.....So I called and now they are giving me the run around. Now saying that they are waiting for the doctor and they got to calculate my bmi ( they got that when i was there two weeks ago) and talk about my diets I've done ( been going there 8 years they should have that) I've already been approved by the dietician and the theripest. Well at this point I dont care about the letter I will get that from another doctor. But they are still holding my medical records. Isnt that against the law? I signed the paper to get it released already. and what about that blood work they did? I'm gonna call the surgeons off and talk to them monday on what I can do.

While most docs will tell you that your records are their property, you are entitled under HIPPA to have your records transfered to any doctor you choose in a timely fashion. You can get the blood work sent directly from the lab to your bariatric doc. Also, have your band doc call your former primary personally and ask for the records (most of them know each other). If that doesn't work, call the hospital where they practice and ask for the patient advocate and explain the problem. They should be able to help since both docs are likely on staff at the same hospital and they don't want a stink.

Speaking of stinks, if none of the above works, make a big stink. Call the state medical board and, if all else fails, call the media! If the local station has an investigative reporter, you will have your records in 60 minutes or less.

Your health care is being held hostage by this irresponsible doc! Do not pay the ransom (repeating phone calls begging them to do their job and giving them the power). Call the (medical) police and get a professional negotiator on your side.

Good luck!

I like Laura's reply.

The other thing you can do is go back and demand the doctor who knows you and your case history is the one who deals with you. Every time you go, just so 'no thank you, I'm waiting for Dr X to see me'. They'll get the message. You have a right to be treated by any doctor you choose.

You can go to this great site called RateMDs.com and slag your doctor. Or, if you have a good one, you can praise him/her.