Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 22nd!

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know I was banded on the 22nd of January and I'm now home resting until Monday. Monday is back to work for me. I have to admit I am a little surprised at the pain. I had gall bladder surgery back in 2006 and I held lap band surgery akin to the gall bladder surgery since it's done sort of the same way. Don't remember hurting as bad for gall bladder surgery. I also have quite a few large bruises on my belly - did the rest of you have bruising? Also, a few folks mentioned some sort of strips that they were letting fall off after surgery?? I don't have anything on my incisions - they are just "there" in all their ugly glory.

My 1st week diet is Water, Clear Liquids like Jello and buillion Soup. No cream Soups or Protein Drinks this week. Get creamy soups next wee.

Can't say I feel hungry, but I don't really "feel" anything like restriction. I think if I went to eat food right now, it could be done.

My doc asked if I smoked but did not ever offer me anything like some of the folks in these forums, to quit. Never heard of the stuff they've been offered. My plan is to quit on my own after I get the hang of this band thing. I was a big time coca cola drinker, anywhere from 8 to 12 cans a day, which is pretty much one after the other all day long. It took me two weeks of withdrawls just to get off the soda. Actually, I think getting off soda was worse than quitting smoking. I've stopped smoking 2ce before, once for 11 years, and again for 3 years. 2 divorces prompted the habit again. So I know I can stop on my own if I want to. Right now, quitting food and caffeine...that's enough for me at one time! LOL

I will let you all know how it's going for me, hopefully to help those who have not been banded yet. If you have questions feel free to ask. I might be asking some questions myself, from those of you who are farther ahead than me.

weight.png

Hey SorrowsChild! Welcome to bandland! I also had some bruising around the port incision and another one. Some people just bruise more easily than others. Every lovenox injection (to prevent blood clots) made me bruise!

I have steri-strips, but not everyone has them, each doc is different. There's a poll somewhere here about the different ways people's incisions are closed.

The first few days were painful for me too! Stick through it! In a week or so you'll be feeling so much better!!

Hi RedTulips3,

Thank you for your post. Was wondering what you ate during your first and second weeks? I'm beginning to feel a bit hungry and I thought that was the entire point of this surgery. Wondering if it isn't working or something? Can you eat like a pudding or something? Boullion Soup and Jello doesn't seem to be relieving the hunger. I thought I would not get hungry after being banded?

I was banded on the 22nd also. I have pain at the port site and some bruising. I get gas pain also. My postop instructions were clear liquids the first couple days then cream ed stuff with no pieces. I havnt really been hungry yet. How much are we supposed to take in at a time. I am confused with my post op instructions

Hi, I was Banded on the 22nd as well. I am feeling pretty good, still sore, but not hungry! My Dr allows all liquids right after the UGI. I am drinking 60gm of Protein a day. little sips at a time. They gave me medicine cups, and I drink them every 15min. It took me 4 hrs to finish a 8 once drink. So 30cc is my limit at a time for now. Good luck!

i was banded on 1/22 also, as was my cousin... we did it together...

I constantly feel full, or gas or could just still be swelling. i dont feel hungry... Pain has subsided and I am planning on going back to work on monday as well.

Feels great though to be 7 lbs down after only 3 days... I really think this is gonna work for me..

i was banded on 1/22 also, as was my cousin... we did it together...

I constantly feel full, or gas or could just still be swelling. i dont feel hungry... Pain has subsided and I am planning on going back to work on monday as well.

Feels great though to be 7 lbs down after only 3 days... I really think this is gonna work for me..

Hi to everyone who shared in my post on this page!

I think it would be a great idea if all of us on this page sort of "hung out," followed each others progress and maybe give each other support. What do you think? We all share the same banding date and should all be going through pretty much the same things at the same times! Wow, DPJDMom,4 weeks of liquid diet, sounds long. This one week of clear liquids is rather hard for me. Jeanne352, how are you getting Protein in on the liquid diet? See, I didn't get any guidance on how to do that the first week. BensonRN, I am on the same page as you. I too am confused and don't know how much to take in. Unlike jeanne352, & debk464, I do feel abit hungry, and I am not having problems with getting drinks down. Wonder what the difference is? Maybe swelling for those of you who are having to drink real slow? Anyone out there know?? That's why I was wondering if mine is working right? Should I be feeling restriction or should it be harder to drink? Doc's sure don't give you much info. In fact, the only time I got any info was when he was trying to get me to commit to the surgery. I wish all of you the best of luck in this adventure. All of us can do this and succeed. It certainly beats the alternative of being trapped within yourself. There is no sympathy out there for fat folks. I feel that the public is more prejudice towards obesity than anything else. We are condemed for being fat, condemed for having no self control, condemed for "letting ourselves get that way to begin with," and then when we try to improve our health, and become more "socially acceptable" and more acceptable to ourselves, we get condemed for that too. To hell with all of them, we are doing this for us! We need to make ourselves happy and healthy. Good Luck to all of you!!

The Dr. calls it 4 weeks of liqiud, but it includes apple sauce, refried Beans, thin oatmeal, - more mushie food stuff.

How is everyones pain level today? Mine is mostly when I get up from a sitting position and that is more of a pulling sensation. Not much of the gas pain to speak of.

My pain today is also pulling at the port site. I do have gas in my stomach it feels really bloated. I also am starting my period so I have the discomfort of that. My husband has been very supportive. The kids are getting on my nerves a little. I am trying. I have drank today a few sps of watered down juice and 4 oz. cream chick Soup blended up. I just feel so bloated when I do that I dont think I am drinking enough. I am thinking of using a med cup and make sure i take an ounce in an hour. All in all I feel ok. Taking chewable vitamins. I just hope I am doing everything right. Talk to you soon. I am happy to find people doing what I am doing now it helps to reassure myself. Your right thr dr dont tell us much. I am a nurse and I still have alot of questions.

Hi banders! I was banded on the 9th and have experienced all of what you are going through as well! I was so happy last week when I could once again lay on my side while sleeping!

I had a HUGE bruise near the incision for the port, and one incision got a bit infected too. Nothing major, one of the sutures my surgeon put in migrated a bit and by system reacted to is as a small foreign body. I went in to the doc's office and they cleaned it up and gave me some antibiotic cream. Unfortunately, they had to remove the durmabond they used to close the incision with so I am a bit fretful that I will end up with a larger scar there. Oh well, if that's the worst of it, it's so worth it!

I too have been limited to liquids/really mushy foods too and it does get a bit boring! I also used the small cups to measure out my liquids 2T at a time. Just focus on the Protein as that's what is most needed for healing too! I used Protein shakes and I am still supplementing to be sure I get all the right stuff!

Good luck to all, I can't wait to hear more news!

i went to dr today to get permission to go back. explained i was never hungry and that felt full even if i tried to drink my Water. Nurse explained to me that since I had some vomiting after surgery my esophagus may be in spasms. just told me to do Decaf tea (counts as water) and soups... the warmth helps...

Also had a slight fever but she said probably dehydration... feel much better tonite

Deb, glad to hear you're feeling better! I don't know where these people get off, saying this is the easy way out??? This is not easy! But it's worth it!

Glad to have made so many new friends. This site is wonderful, how else could we have found so many of us all going thru the same thing and sharing our experiences?

Alisa and BensonRN, I'm not happy you are in pain, but it's good to know I'm normal with the bruising and all and that we are all experiencing relatively the same symptoms. My port area hurts the most I think, even though they told me that the incision on my left hand side is normally the cut that bothers most folks the worst. Sounds like everyone's port area hurts. At least I think it's the port area; too sore to poke it to find out! LOL I've decided to take 2 more days off rather than go back on Monday. So far, I just don't feel very perky and I am definately weak - Will try for Wednesday of this week.

I don't think I can drink Protein drinks this week. Sure wish I could, sounds much better than broth. I don't see where I am getting any Vitamins like you are all talking about, just eating broth, Water and jello!!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you again. Stick with it! We can do this! Best Wishes to All